In A Bit Of Estate

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Re: In A Bit Of Estate

Postby Bilco » Tue May 09, 2017 7:41 pm

Many thanks for the kind comments, chaps - Les, I'm not sure anyone would want my quirky ideas on their layout ...

Many thanks for all the likes, folks - but beware, you are only encouraging me ...

Anyway, having finished 'Legger' Lamb, I had a look in my bodybitz box and found:

Henry Ford's overcoat

the arms from the other gentleman's jacket

3 pairs of legs - 2 from the Henry Ford kit and one from the Italeri Truck Drivers.

So ... I assembled the overcoat and cut it down to suit jacket size, assembled the couthest pair of legs and trimmed them to fit inside the overcoat, and took the right arm of the jacket and altered the angles ...

I asked Igor for a suitable head, but all he came up with was one with a hard-hat firmly in place. After a determined bit of whittling, I cut round the hat and reduced it to a dome, and added a brim of plasticard. Then I took a lump of Green Stuff and, er, stuffed it up the overcoat into the open neck, and pushed the head down into it. I managed to form a shirt collar and front with tie, and fixed the arm in place with a bit more Green Stuff, also used to form the elbow.

Finally, a paint job and we have ...

Allow me to introduce Signore Nando Di Costa of Naples, Su B Way's manager, come down to Berger Hall to see what she is doing.

Right, that's enough messing about with figures, back to work on the layout - there's lots of detail still to do, and only 3 months to Pewsey ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Gosh - 5 weeks since my last post! I was away for some of that time, but I have been working on the lights and valance for the layout - photos in due course.

I've also been working on the new loco 'Ettie' First thing I did was strip the chassis right down and wash the block and wheels on white spirit to clean all the oil and grime off. Then I trimmed the block to length and fitted a footplate and buffer beams ...

The white gear wheel on the block required a bit of force to move it round, so I popped it out of its mounting and ran a drill bit through the holes just big enough to scrape a little bit of plastic off. After pushing the gear wheel back into position it now turns freely. The motor and its mounting now fit down into the footplate ...

I've made a boiler from a plastic till-roll tube I found, which is just the right size. A short section of the tube to make the smokebox had a bit cut out of the length so that it fits inside the boiler - fortunately the walls of the tube are quite thin ...

The chimney is a 7mm scale one for 'Denis' that I found in my bits box. It's a little short and makes the whole thing front heavy, so I've asked Michael at Smallbrook if he can let me buy the chimney and a couple of other bits from the 'Katie' kit. The bits are just propped in place for the photo - lots of work still to do.

I must get the layout out of the garage soon and put on all the little bits of vegetation I've been painting ready for use. There are other things to do before Pewsey, too - ONLY 7 WEEKS!!!
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.

Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway History, Making beer

Postby PeterH » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:29 pm

That looks fun. And must be a relief for you after your earlier torn-apart figures. Though they come together nicely.
Peter

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:04 pm

I like the way you chose a big, high torque motor to run that engine. Should be smooth and slow.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Lovely job, Bill :D
"Because I Can"

Return to “Modelling Matters”