One of the features I put on the layout when I first got it, were diode controlled safety blocks at the ends of the line to avoid 'high dives' onto the floor.
So, today's job, a bit of wiring. First, take out the diode, and close up the joint, from the end that is now continuing to the next board. This time, there are two end sidings to rig up. Being clever, in my own mind, I decided to apply the gaps on the same sides of each of the tracks. That way, I could take a feed off one line (making sure it was one that was not going to be affected by isolating points). From this feed, I soldered in the diode (dry testing, first, of course.... wasn't born yesterday). Off the other leg of the diode, came two wires, one to each of the isolated dead end sections of track. Worked well, first time. Second time, didn't work well, in fact, didn't work at all. Jump wire testing identified the culprit wire. It was one that I 'forced' through the baseboard... turns out I'd actually broken it. Quickly replaced, and all's good.
Lesson, if it don't fit, don't force it (somewhat contrary to the usually good ol' Kiwi slogan).
Gn15 Gnu Zealand