Gun Shop and Tobacco Emporium

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Gun Shop and Tobacco Emporium

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Seems that I have neglected to post progress on this one. There was a hint of it in another thread, but I'll start a new one now for the Gun Shop and Tobacco Emporium! :D

I'm modeling an existing modern copy of an old building. So I guess that makes it a model of a replica or something. LOL...

I decided to model this building that is right next to my property. Makes it handy for pictures and measurements and such.

This is the real building. It is a gas station, but I'm using the model for a Gun and Tobacco store.

The front door is a wonderful thing, I'm struggling to model it too.

Last edited by Nevadablue on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:41 pm

I started by sketching the thing, taking measurements off of the building and then transferring them to a scale drawing to see if it looked OK.

It actually started out to be a gun shop, but then I decided to add tobacco to the inventory. More business... :D But that meant we needed a cigar store Indian for advertising.

The only way I could think of to get a 1:24 Cigar Store Indian was to carve one. I'm NOT a sculptor, but I managed to get this done. I used a printout of a prototype and cut that out and glued it on... a piece of cottonwood (firewood from the pile, cut to size in the band saw). The the carving commmenced...

[img]I%20used%20a%20printout%20of%20a%20prototype%20and%20cut%20that%20out%20and%20glued%20it%20on...[/img]

The band saw made quick work of that part, then the difficult part started. (I used masking tape to hold the block together while sawing... )
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:52 pm

The carving was done with a pocket knife, that I modified to be a carving knife. The knife was my grandfather's so I really wanted to use it. I then moved on to an exacto knife.

And, he slowly started taking shape.

When the carving was finished, I wasn't sure what to do next... stain or paint?

So I stained him with a stain/sealer and then decided to paint...

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Then it was time to get busy on the building itself...

I cut all my own lumber from 3/4" pine boards, using my band saw. Much of this work was done in a hotel room while waiting for my DAV son to get better so we could take him home. I have a 'travel kit' for modeling... but that's another story...

The corrugated sign area is made from the paper from a coffee cup insulator. I decided to try it. Then it was painted silver.

The door was made from a bit pf PVC hotel hang tag and some clear plastic from a package and stir sticks from the coffee shop. :D

Then somehow the blacksmith showed up... he is yet another story...

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:07 pm

Here a couple of views of the 'inside' to see how it will look, space wise. The villagers posed for looks. They are a bit small for this scale, so they will have to be away from something that IS to scale.

Then Wiley and the new photographer showed up...

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:10 pm

And that brings us up to date.

Today the guys decided to get busy on the building again.

But they soon discovered that they were out of the proper sized dimension lumber, so, off to the company sawmill. It is nice to own a sawmill, custom orders come easily and quickly.

Ken

martin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: gn15, audio recording, Film Photography

Postby martin » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:17 pm

Very nice work... looking forward to seeing your progress!
I turned to the darkside, I moved to Gnottinghamshire! http://soarvalleygardenrailway.com
Gn15 Santa's Sleigh Launching Stationhttp://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9815

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks Martin! I'm hoping to get a wall or two built today. :)
Ken

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:02 am

Nice work on the wooden Indian and the structure!

Trevor Coburn
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modeling Narrow Gauge Railways,

Postby Trevor Coburn » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:19 am

Thats brilliant work ken. I know what its like to be model building in Hotel rooms as that is were a lot of my work has been done in the past.

Trevor
Trevor
Member of The Royal Institute of Grumpy Old Men

Artizen
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Gn15 (1:24), 7/8ths (1:12) and 0n28 (1:43)

Postby Artizen » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:16 am

The carving is wonderful!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding (in progress)
West of Worcester (in progress)
Waikikamukau Sawmilling (planned)
Brisbane, Australia

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Thanks to all for the encouragement. It really does help. :D

Trevor, your suggestion on building 'flats' worked great. I brought it home and started assembling it.

I did get the other two walls built last night and had to tear one out before the glue dried. It was crooked. I got it straightened out though and this morning all was well. I'm working on the front wall attachment. (Pictures later today I hope) I've made the front wall removable so it will be easier to decorate the interior of the building and do the wiring. The front wall and porch roof/posts will be a removable assembly that slides into slots in the side walls. Pics will explain. The roof will also be removable for viewing and wiring.
Ken

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:02 pm

Hi Ken - looking again (and again) at this great topic of yours and the first pictures you posted of the building reminded me of this place -

in 1997 my wife (to be) and I did a couple of weeks on a road trip in the USA. We nearly ran out of gas one day and pulled off the highway into Chloride where a guy who was sat out on his porch, kindly sold us half a tank full ! When we returned to the States in 2012 we happened to be near Chloride again so we stopped for a longer look around - very interesting place - especially whoever owned this place and their collection of things AND their own railway which seemed to circle the building..

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:08 pm

Another picture looking down the road - our rental car on the left

Great place to run a railroad!

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:17 pm

Great pictures Roger, thanks for posting them. I wish I had the energy to build a train around our place. I have everything I need BUT energy I'm afraid. Dreams...

I'm going to post a link to my new blog. I'm experimenting with this, I don't know if I'll keep it up or not, but it does tell the story of what I want to build for model train stuff. See the link on the page called "Plans and Ideas".

http://highdesertpackrat.blogspot.com/2014/11/welcome-to-high-desert-of-northern.html

Big news in Tobar! (the town that will hold the model buildings, for the story see the link to my blog above)

The Gunsmith and owner operator of the Gun Shop and Tobacco Emporium arrived in town today! He is just in time to supervise the rest of the construction of the building and furnishing of the store and stocking it.

So, the removable building front is gone in this pic...

Here's how it works: The grooves in the front of the side walls hold the edges of the front wall. The porch roof and posts will be part of the front wall. I think the porch posts will have locating pins that will go into holes in the porch floor.

Kind of like an overhead door in a garage I guess.

There's only one gun on the rack now, but it is a start. We are waiting on delivery of the new stock and the used items that the gunsmith is bringing. Shipment by rail... never on time. :D The gunsmith (Melvin Miller) will travel to Sacramento to purchase the inventory for the tobacco side of the business.

So, the building has been stained (after the photos were taken) and when that's dry, I'll start on the rest of the main roof and the porch roof. Gotta have the sign painted too! And of course we need the store fixtures. Lots to do!

Oh, there are no windows in the side or rear walls. Buildings in town are close together so side windows wouldn't make sense and a rear window would just be a security risk. Ventilation will be through the front window and door and a large gable end vent in the rear of the roof. Must remember the wood stove too.
Ken

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:50 am

As usual, nice work.
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:13 pm

I have the impression, the windows in the door and sidewall is mounted too high. The shopkeeper can barely look out of them.

I do not know very much about US shed building, but I believe, they use a timber frame and nailed board and battens to them. Build this from an American sample wood kit (forgot the maker) many years ago:

I must admit, building a real one in 1 : 1 scale would have been faster.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks Juergen. Yes, the door window is a bit high. The wall window is high, but is to scale with the prototype. I wanted it a bit high to clear the counter inside also. The storekeeper is short... :D

The wall construction is unconventional, but was an expedient for me at the time. I was working out of a suitcase and didn't have enough material for the 'normal' wall structure. But, that style I used isn't unheard of either.

I'm down to little details now. I need to post some more pictures. I'll see about doing that.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok, I'm tired of gluing small bits. I need to stop or I will break something. So, here's the latest.

I got the roof 'decoration' done. The little 'windows' at the sides of the sign are going to be advertising. One side will be a smoking revolver, the other will be a smoking cigar! (If my sign painter succeeds.) The 'guns tobacco' sign is temporary, again waiting on the sign painter. The porch posts are pinned so they are removable. The roofing is all that remains, other than a thousand details. :D

Well, the metal roofing didn't come in (by train, always late) so the crew started decking the roofs. The porch is done, next the main roof. will be decked and the whole lot will get tar paper. Snow is coming, we can't wait.

AND, the removable front wall/porch unit works! :D

I'm experimenting with masking tape, painted with latex black and sprinkled with powdered sidewalk chalk. It looks OK I think. Hope it turns out. I can always peel the tape off I suppose.

I chickened out on putting the 'rolled roofing' or 'tar paper' directly on the roof. Pics with no roofing yet. The lights are the LEDs I plan to use for this. They are just hanging inside the back wall now, but it looks like they will work. The plan is 2 lights in the shop and one on the porch.

I decided to stick the masking tape to some thin card stock and paint/weather that before putting it on the building. I didn't want any chance of slopping black paint or powders on the building itself. Two sections of roofing for the main roof are drying now. We will see...
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm reconsidering my choice of figure for the store owner. We all know the issues with 'scale' and this is one of them. The little fellow in the pictures is part of a set of old figures I snagged off of eBay. I believe they are about 1989 vintage and maybe made by Lionel? He actually scales out at a little over 5 feet tall, but my building is a bit 'large' for him.

I dug out some old Bachmann figures and a couple of others, including a VERY old Jiminy Cricket and a chinese "1/24" figure.

Hmmm... I see the chinese guy failed to get into the pic... anyway, I then dug in my stuff and found a set of Italeri truck accessories that includes two standing figures. They look just about right. And both the standing figures are dressed properly for this project. The picture on the box doesn't show that the second standing figure actually wears boots and suspenders. And, he wears a hat. I'll make a copy of the cowboy hat that his partner has and use that I think.

So, the tar paper roof is on the main building. I still need to put a ridge cap on it and do the porch. I used blue painter's tape and it has more 'character' than the ordinary masking tape I have. The card that it is mounted on is stuck to the roof with double sticky clear tape.

Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:00 am

A couple of new folks showed up in town. The guy with the glasses is talking about running a gun shop, is supposed to be a gunsmith. That vest is typical for gunshop workers too, can 'hide' 'things'. :D

Good grief, these guys have a LOT of detail! Need filler and a TINY brush for them.

Ken

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:09 am

With those 1 : 20,3 Bachmann and Railroad Avenue figures, the proportions of the Emporium looks much more convincing.

Have Fun

Juergen

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:03 pm

We got the roof finished and the cabinet maker brought the first display case. He isn't the best, but I think he did OK.

This is why I wanted the front of the building to be removable:

And a view of the first sale discussion I suppose.

Ken

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:31 am

Can I buy a nuclear weapon in this shop ? I want to send a love message to my bankster. :lol: :lol: :lol:
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Re: Gun Shop and Tobacco Emporium

Postby RoGNer » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:08 pm

Great pictures Ken - I like the tar paper roof :D

Roger