Ernie's Filling Station

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Ernie's Filling Station

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

This is going on one of my Gn15 dioramas.

As a celebration of my wife's Grandfather's history, I started building a model of Ernie's Filling Station. The prototype is somewhere in Ohio and sometime in the 1930s. We aren't sure of either. But, here is the prototype. This will be a fun project. Those pumps are the ONLY ones I've ever seen that are that tall. Ernie was six feet tall, and is standing beside one of the pumps. There's a regular and ethyl pump and lots of details to model. (That IS her grandfather standing in the pic)

The prototype... this is the only photo we have of this station. I do have pictures of two other stations he owned, so I'll post them in the prototype section sometime.

Here is the rubble from construction. I used Model Builder software to 'build' Ernie's station. All I had is the above photo and the software. Some online images of surfaces plus the ones in the software were used. Foam core board and 110 pound paper and an inkjet printer made this a quick build. I wanted to finish it today, but I wore out. I had to shovel snow (coming down fast now) and haul in some firewood too)

I used rubber cement and ordinary straight pins (sewing notion type pins) to assemble the cut foam core and rubber cement to attach the printouts.

Here is Ernie talking to one of his friends after the walls went up. Hopefully the roof will go on tomorrow. I plan to model the roof supports and the island in Model Builder too. When this is complete, I'll upload the building to the Model Builder site. (normal words... I'm just a happy customer, no connection to the software outfit)

I'll be printing extra trim pieces for the corners and I have printed extra windows already. These will be used to 'build up' the corners and windows for depth. I'll do this with the front door too.

I'm having FUN! :D
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Ernie's Filling Station

Postby docnjoj » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:59 pm

I just got the new edition of Model Builder and practiced with it a bit. I'm stuck on locos and radio control at the moment but soon, buildings and scenery. Great little program. Nice job with the filling station for Ernie!
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks Doc!

You just can't get good help. We told the distributor to be ready to fill the tanks at the station after the first of the year. He showed up today! Good grief...

This card building stuff is fun! This is my first adventure into it and I'm learning as I go along. I decided that Ernie can do without the extra large pumps. My guess is that those were for highway traffic (maybe large trucks with big fuel tanks?) and had extra height and capacity to deal with that. Anyway, for a couple of reasons... 1. I didn't want to cut up my pumps and 2. I didn't want the building footprint any larger than the base I made for it... We went with the normal pumps and put them on the island and under the roof.

I also "rebuilt" the front wall with a better size door. (just printed a new copy and glued it over the old one. I also am experimenting with the trim. The front corners have wrap around trim installed. The roof will get similar treatment, with strips of roofing 'nailed' over the joints. :D

Here is a screenshot of the Model Builder software showing some of the island parts and the front posts. The posts are made from stock shutters, just resized to look right. I also discovered the 'paper tools' and started adding the glue tabs to these parts.

Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:19 pm

That is quite neet, Nevada!
Very clean assembly too. I also just discovered the paper tabs in Tools and have been using them in my designs. I make sure I don't print in 1:24 because it uses a ton of ink. I do a test in HO first. Saved a bunch of ink-jet dollars. I still have to finish working out the radio control, do tracks then Frocks for scenery. Then perhaps buildings.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks again! :D I use rubber cement for assembly. The pump island and posts are just setting there right now. I need to finish the trim on the roof before I glue the island and posts. There are braces inside the island to help support it. I think the island will be glued to the base and the roof will be removable for sure. I will put pins in the top of the posts for alignment, similar to the posts on the Gun Shop. I also want to cut out the windows and put clear glazing in and furnish the inside of the room.

RC... I am getting ready to order a Deltang setup for my little locos.
Ken

Chris18
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: G and Gn15.

Postby Chris18 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:08 am

Well done as usual !
All we are is dust in the wind...
Chris

My favorite place in the world:
http://www.bellevue-cottage.com/en/index.html

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:02 am

(I lost access to the site for a while again today)

At least the right crew showed up today. The phone company guys are here to install the phone. :D

Slow day today, just doing some trim and reinforcing and fitting of the parts.
Ken

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:13 am

Looking great Ken, I have a number of 1/4" scale buildings in paper to construct however the sight loss I have probably means that they will stay as computer code. :cry:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:21 pm

Thanks Gerry. :)

Today I was working outside mostly. Sunshine means 'get in wood and pellets for the stove while you can'! I'm painting the gas pumps and the little air dispenser I made out of parts from a hand soap pump. Also trying to print the signs for the pumps small enough to look good.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:48 pm

Well, there have been major changes to the design of the station. It is so large it will dominate one of the modules in my layout. So, we decided to combine Ernie's Garage with his Filling Station. Also, Ernie is now looking at the attic of the garage with thoughts of adding a dormer and outside stairway access so he and Beulah can live up there!

And, my wife says that monkey on the island is going to mutate into a rat terrier... :shock: :roll:

Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”