Tobar Junction, NV

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Tobar Junction, NV

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:49 pm

Oh, another interesting thing happened today. I decided I wanted some more hills on the layout so there isn't so much flat space. I got a 3 foot piece of flex track and propped it up on one end and put supports in the middle. The high end was 7" above the bench top level. My little air Porter zings right up it, no problem at all. That is a STEEP hill, more than I will have. Now I think I can pull up the siding that serves the sawmill as well as the line that brings logs down from the mountain for the mill and make a good sized hill there. The mill can sit on the hill and the farm house will be farther down the same hill. More terra forming!
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:11 am

Slowly but surely. Test fitting the cab roof and back. I MUST stop now and let glue dry.

That shiny checkerboard in the background is a bit from an Italeri truck accessory package. I think it will become running board overlays and the overlay for the rear step. I bought the package for the 3 neat figures, but there are tons of other useful things in the box. I think my water tank will come from that too.
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:11 am

Wow, Ken, I step outside for a couple of days and look at what you get up to :D

I'm loving the fire truck, its very inspiring to see a build at almost every stage. Given the (short) history of mine fires I'm sure it will come in handy, too.

Off to my workshop for a bit now... thanks for sharing your progress.

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:30 pm

That truck is looking real good, Ken. I am following it closely because I have an old Model T kit and an old Duzzy with metal parts too somewhere.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:22 pm

Thanks guys. What ever I get done today will be it for a while. We are off tomorrow on our monthly medical excursion so no play time until probably Thursday. I'll use the break time to conjure up more insanity. :D

for the latest, see the Tobar Gazette... oh, it isn't running yet. So...

It is a lot more fun if you are easily distracted, like me. The idea to make more hills triggered the need for more trains. So, in order to be able to use the locomotive I'm building for this year's NGRM challenge, I need some two foot gauge railway. Yes, I Gnow it isn't minimum gauge. I decided that it should be a good amount of track so I can actually use it. I have tentatively laid out rails from behind the Little Mine mountain (must name that mountain... maybe Caribou Peak since one of the miners is from Alaska), down the main stretch in front of town, across the great divide to the north and back east up the to-be mountain where the sawmill will sit. I even worked out a switched siding!
Please ignore all the junk piled everywhere and concentrate on the black two foot track.

That's looking west toward the WINDMILL, you missed that I bet.

And here we are looking east to see the tracks disappear around the curve behind Caribou Peak.

And finally the little Polish rig climbing the grade toward the log woods to the east.

I think I will do this. The original track going to the sawmill will need to be ripped up and relaid, but no big deal. This new stuff gives me two additional places for cranes (I love cranes). One will be below the Little Mine, to allow the larger train to unload mine props, and bring sawn timbers to the mines there. The other one will be at the sawmill area to transfer sawn timbers and lumber to the 15" line for distribution throughout town.
I have two more of the little battery powered locomotives so I will be able to have 3 locos for the two foot line. hmmm... Two Foot Line... :D
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:28 pm

This is becoming quite an epic adventure. Has the hill climbing Porter been tested to see how much of a load it can haul up the hill?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:00 am

It hasn't been tested with a load, it has no coupling yet. But, it probably won't be going over to the sawmill. I have a gas mechanical that will probably do that duty and I think it has rubber tires on the drivers. It doesn't have a radio yet, so it will be a while before I can test it. The mountain has yet to be built and it won't have nearly that much grade. I just had to try though. :D
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:19 pm

Wednesday, 16 March

Good day today. We survived the return trip from the latest medical excursion and all went well with that. The house is still here and we got the home fires burning. Snuggly warm now. Also, I got to stop at Home Depot on the way home and got... paint and primer for models (spray stuff), pink foam for terra forming, spackling compound for terra forming and 3 pieces of masonite hard board for the back scene work. During the trip, I also got 10 large (20 inches by 30 inches by 1/16th inch) sheets of stuff called Taskboard. It is a type of chip board/cardboard stuff and should be formable when wet. That should be fun to mess with too. The Taskboard is normally over 5 bucks a sheet, but the store was closing it out at $.98 per sheet! Hooah!
My lady and I also decided that the Two Foot Line needs a curved bridge at the Great Divide crossing. So, now I am planning that too. The sawmill will need to get cracking and produce LOTS of lumber for that one.

Today

Oh, the humanity... No pictures... too much devastation! :D I've installed the second expansion to the layout and it isn't even half built yet! The first expansion was built into the original construction project. This one will support the new Two Foot Line curve that goes over the Great Divide. Track has been ripped up, foam strata lies in ruin and wood is powdered all over the floor. My battery saw and vacuum cleaner batteries died about the same time my batteries died. I'm digesting lunch now and then the final push for the finish will happen. After the cleanup, I'll have pictures. ;)

OK, in the interest of an open press, here they are. Viewer discretion advised!

The expansion is 12"x 24" and sits on six long screws that stick out of the surrounding benchwork. Slots in the frame of the expansion allow it to be lifted straight up.

So, we tested the newly 'laid' line by allowing a runaway log car to leave the mill site with no brakeman or brakes!

http://youtu.be/NxrYZkKbBZE

Please ignore the elephant at the end of the video. He is attempting takeoff...

And, in further developments, an old alabaster mine AND a gypsum mine were discovered during excavations for the new line. It is yet to be determined if they are safe to resume mining in or if they will be sealed. Use of the nearest tunnel will require a fairly large trestle be built.

Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:16 am

Y'all are having a lot of fun on this project, cool :D I haven't heard of, or at least don't remember hearing of that Taskboard until it was recently mentioned, either here or on another model RR forum.
Quite a buy there. I'll make a point to look up where to find the product here; expect it to be in the city instead of our rural county seat farm burg of 8,300.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:23 pm

Just for fun I tried the little Christmas locomotive on the hill today. OMG, the thing runs on 4 AA batteries and is ON or OFF. It goes about a hundred miles an hour... frantic! With a pair of wire cutters taped to it's back for ballast, it made it up the hill pulling that heavy load of batteries in the tender just fine. With a good Deltang radio and a couple of LIPO cells onboard the loco, and some lead weights, it should be fine for making that steep run.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:23 pm

Todays progress was pretty good. First, the mine inspectors determined the old diggings to be unsafe. So, the decision was made to back fill them and just move on. Consideration is being given to sinking a shaft to access the alabaster deposit later on.

The backfill was done and more track ripped up and terra forming begun. The glue is drying in the lift out section. The stream on the south side of town has meandered through the lift-out and off to the north under the tracks and past the turntable. Arrggg... those dry washes can be work. The area where the sawmill will sit is raised and glue is drying, some overlay of cheesecloth and tissue is done. The track on the south side of the Great Divide is ready to glue down. Oh, the tracks are cut for the lift-out. That made me nervous, but it had to happen. It will be OK. There will be no trestle and only a short bridge now, but it will be a bridge. I wore out... earthmoving is tiring.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:10 am

Watching glue dry.

Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Nevadablue wrote:I wore out... earthmoving is tiring.
Well, if anything has to wear a person out, making progress is one of the favored choices.

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:39 pm

Great work Ken ! I just spent about an hour reading and watching all about Tobar Junction - i like it ! 8)

Roger
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:42 pm

Great progress Ken - keep it up :D

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Thanks guys! I did get some more done today.

Lots of fun today. My grandpa was a paper hanger, but I bet he never did this kind of stuff. I cover the foam with cheese cloth and glue and then two or three layers of tissue, all soaked in 50/50 PVA and water with enough paint to give it some color so I can see where I have worked. I am using a two inch brush to apply the glue mix today, lots of territory to cover. I think it went well.

First, here is the lift-out section from the 'backside'. This is the side that faces away from the viewer. It can overhang the fixed part of the layout to help hide some of the joints. It will get 'papered' next. I think there may be livestock grazing on those flats next to the stream and a path cut down to the water for them.

This is what I did today. The sawmill and farm area are ready to cover with dirt and rocks and plants now. This is only the glue and paper layer now. Sawmill on the right on the flat spot farther away from the camera, farm on the left, on the lower flat area. There may be a shaft mine on the flat closest to the camera on the right. That alabaster is hiding down there.

This is an aerial view of the little siding that is all that remains from the track that was in this area. It will serve as a nice spot to park rolling stock or transfer goods to and from the farm.

(edited to remove the wrong picture that photobucket insists on putting in this post)

And a final view of the switch and siding for the sawmill. The other branch leads to the log woods in the mountains (and all of that is off scene).

Last edited by Nevadablue on Wed May 04, 2016 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby lesmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:10 am

Fantastic progress Ken - thanks for the pictures.

I'd not thought of covering the foam with anything, and really like the effect you have created. OK if I "steal" it :D ?

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:14 pm

Les, of course. I stole the idea from the 'make water from TP' video. Martin has some very interesting videos. I just tweaked it to fit my idea of surface. It actually works quite well I think. It makes a 'shell', very light and thin on the foam. Next I'm going to learn how to make it look like rock. I plan to try thinned spackling compound as a test to give the surface more texture and make it look less like a fiberglass boat gone wrong. :D
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 am

I have actually been working on the layout, both in my mind and on the table. In the last couple of days, I have done a fair amount of track work on the south side of town, cutting out a half zillion extra ties that come with HO track. 99 zillion to go. The Two Foot Line track is mostly in place, a few bits to glue down yet. The lift-out section is out right now, waiting for terra forming and bridge work. The bridge is in place and concrete is being laid for the abutments. :D
So, I have also been making plans for coal cars. Gotta get the coal out to the main line as well as to town for use there. So, out came the pile of HO hopper cars. A section cut from the middle and viola, a nice size coal car. Lots of cut and glue to do for the string of 4 cars, but it will work. The Air Porter has towed one all over the layout with little problem. I had to put a hitch on the loco and it needs a centering spring yet.
THAT brings the next issue. First we need a pic of the layout so I can explain.

The loco can't pull cars around that 3" radius corner at the South Wye. The skinny red arrow points to that. Hmmm... what to do? I must have a return loop for the train but it goes over that tight corner on the way back. The solution turned out to be two more switches and about 12" of track. The FAT red line represents that. This will be a great addition to the layout with very little work involved. I can simply raise a glued down siding, add a switch there, replace a straight section of track with a switch (just next to the crossover) and connect with flex track. Everything is laid out and it will work nicely. That gives me all kinds of roundy roundy possibilities in addition to what was already there.

The fat colored line at the bottom of the pic is showing a section of track that is actually there now, but wasn't in the photograph. That is important to the next project. I must have a way to turn the turntable and index it. I won't be able to reach it to manually turn it. So, I ordered a long shaft gear motor from China (where else) for a few bucks and a long wait. I also ordered a handful of servo controllers. I plan on running some turnouts with servos, and now I think that the turntable can be indexed with a servo and some detent points. That is shown on the turntable by the blob, line and dots. Waiting for parts now.
Ken

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby lesmond » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:39 am

Ken, good to see it all coming together and evolving as it does. Problem solving is all part of the fun.

Are you planning on using the servo for 360 degree rotation? In a past life I made R/C model boats, and have an article in a magazine somewhere about modifying servos to take the stop away and allow full rotation. It was to use them as drive motors for very small boats, but may be of some use to you here. Let me know if you need it, please.

Thanks for sharing your progress.

Les
"Because I Can"

NFBrown
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Colorado On3, HOn3 and Gn15. Maybe even minimum gauge in 1/12th scale.

Postby NFBrown » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:49 pm

There's info about making 360 degree servos on the 7/8 lounge site. It also has links to vender for converted servos. I tried to include the link but can't get it to paste. I've been thinking of powering a Lister that way.

Nick

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Right now my plan for the servos is just to use them as switch motors and things like pushing a detent into position on the turntable. Semaphores come to mind also. I was considering using a converted servo as a 'motor' to turn the windmill blade also.
At this point, I think the turntable will be gear motor (regular DC motor gearmotor) and manually started and stopped.
I'm looking at my pile of servos now. I need to find a battery case and hook them up to the test controller and see how that works. I'm visualizing a little control panel with the controllers mounted on it for the various tasks.
Ken

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:47 pm

Well, my testing confirms what I hoped about the servos and controllers... they work! This pic shows a test setup with one servo and one controller. The servo costs less than two dollars and the controller $1.27. So, for about $3.25 shipped, you have a neat little system that will run things like switches, operate a semaphore, turn a driver or worker's head or move his arms, etc. Endless possibilities. Runs on 5 volts DC. (think USB adapter thing).

The controller allows you to turn the servo, turning the knob moves the servo shaft a corresponding amount. Turn it a bit, it moves a bit. Turn it to the other end and it goes there. The second function is a centering test, and the third option (a push button in the controller) operates the servo like a wiper motor! Flagman waving a flag? :D

Ken

Sooty
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15 Emmett style garden railway. Model garden railways in general.

Postby Sooty » Wed May 04, 2016 6:25 pm

That is a great effect you created with the paper over foam,.....oh to be artistic one can only dream. It also amazes me how much goes on in a small space with these layouts Great stuff.
I have 30 minute epoxy and I know how to use it.

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed May 04, 2016 11:26 pm

Sooty, I don't have an artistic bone in my body. That is just simple walpapering... you CAN do that easily. Then just paint until you like it. What is in my pictures isn't painted yet except for the Little Mine mountain and it needs work...
Ken

Return to “Modelling Matters”