Yellow Ridge Mine

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: Yellow Ridge Mine

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:03 am

You copied and interpreted scenes and track plans off photographs of the the real thing. He presumably copied and interpreted photographs of your layout.

I'd be flattered.

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:12 am

interesting retort from Firebox Models website: http://fireboxmodels.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ayout.html

NICKJW
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most modelling disciplines. Layouts exhibited: CWMOER, CWMDU & NANT-Y-GLO MINE

Postby NICKJW » Tue May 02, 2017 2:30 pm

southpier wrote:interesting retort from Firebox Models website: http://fireboxmodels.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... ayout.html

Yes, I noticed that and responded. I am planning to write a few articles for the American mags which is why I wanted a name-check otherwise people would think I've copied his layout.

NICKJW
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: most modelling disciplines. Layouts exhibited: CWMOER, CWMDU & NANT-Y-GLO MINE

Postby NICKJW » Tue May 02, 2017 2:40 pm

DCRFAN 3 wrote:You copied and interpreted scenes and track plans off photographs of the the real thing. He presumably copied and interpreted photographs of your layout.

I'd be flattered.

Like I said before, happy to be flattered but if, for arguments sake, you had written a book and someone copied it and placed it on the web without mentioning where it came from, would you not be a little grieved? This is the same.

Whilst it sounds like I'm overly precious about my modelling, I can assure you that I am not. I am more than happy to share my techniques and ideas with people at exhibitions and try to encourage the young into the hobby. If people copy my stuff, no problem, but as soon as it's promoted publicly, then I think it fair to name-check my layout.

NICKJW
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby NICKJW » Tue May 02, 2017 2:41 pm

adamc wrote:Saw your mine at st edwards this weekend. Very fine layout :D

Glad you liked it. Did you make yourself known? I did speak to a couple of people about GN15 modelling...

adamc
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: GN15 G-Scale and 009

Postby adamc » Wed May 03, 2017 1:20 pm

Sadly we didn't, only realised when I got back home that you were from here as well. Also we had a niece in tow so no stopping allowed for more than 30 seconds at each stand :)

Return to “Modelling Matters”