In the thread on my Bagnalls http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9716
I mentioned that I was trying to get to grips with acrylic paints. Up to now I have only ever used Humbrol enamels for weathering, but I was getting some earache about the smell of the thinners
The two guinea pigs were the Smallbeach diesels. One of these is a Steve Bennett 'Dragonfly' kit, and the other is a Baguley style machine on a modified Bachmann Junior chassis.
The basic Dragonfly before it got 'played with'.
The Baguley near enough complete.
I added lights from an Italeri truck accessory kit to both locos, with micro LEDs inside them. I wish I had put a thin layer of paint over the LEDs to tone down their output before I fixed the lenses in place - they are almost bright enough to be able to turn the room lights off at night. Dragonfly ended up with some larger door panels scribed in to the body sides as I thought the original access panels were a little on the small side - not enough room to swing a hammer!
The basic paint finish was done with an airbrush and looked far too pristine.
I found out the hard way that I could not wipe off an overly heavy application of acrylic grot from an underlying acrylic paint layer using thinners. I tried this on a van and ended up with base colour softening and blending with the weathering to produce something I did not want
followed by some naughty words. The basic paint job on the Bagnalls was done with enamels - different formulation so no problems with wiping the acrylic weathering off.
I ended up using very dilute washes of acrylics (virtually coloured water) to build up the weathering bit by bit. I used colours from the Lifecolor sets CS21 (Rail Weathering), CS27 (Black Rubber Shades & Co) and SPG03 (Rust). Other paints came from the Citadel range that I got from our local Games Workshop - strange names but excellent paints. I used Nuln Oil and Agrax Earthshade to get oil streaks, leaks and dribbles. Finally powdered graphite was rubbed on to the models with a cotton wool bud to simulate areas where the paint has been rubbed away.
I really hope he is not in a rough shunt driving that thing!
I really must get some matt varnish on Dragonfly's driver. Another lesson learned - don't use Nuln Oil shade on figures to dirty their overalls as it dries with a sheen
I am fairly happy with the outcome on my dirty diseasels as it has been a whole new way of weathering models for me. Now I need a bit more practice getting 'lumpy' areas of rust so the tub wagons could be the next victims for treatment.