Variant of the Carl Arendt SAP Line

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Re: Variant of the Carl Arendt SAP Line

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:39 am

will be interested to see how the turntable comes out. With those wires attached does it turn 360 degrees or is it limited. Thinking about it I presume there is something on the turntable to take power. Mind you is there any need to turn more than 90 degrees.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:24 am

Willow Creek - the second go will have a mould made to stop the mix sticking, hadn't thought of masking tape, so thank you for that one. My favourite £1 shop has plastic chopping boards around 1.5mm thick and fairly big (10" x 12"), so those could well be sacrificed :D

Interestingly, as the first try dries further, the colour is starting to lighten considerably. The room it was originally in is quite cold most of the time, I left it nearer the stove the night before last and saw quite a change last night when I got in (late - so no photos as yet).

Simon - the turntable now turns through 100 degrees or so before the wires limit the movement, which works well for this job. There will be small trains of one very small locomotive (Steve Bennet "Wasp" or "Ant" or similar) and one wagon at a time on it. For a bigger turntable I've an idea for copper strips and sprung plungers to conduct the power, as always because I can.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:58 pm

Wee short one today, not a lot done this week except watch the faux "concrete" dry and start to look more like knackered concrete as it does.

It is now rock hard, and has lost the previous rubbery texture. As it has dried, it appears to be thinner, although the area covered is the same, and it has cracked as it has set. This is well and good, and will come into its own on my other current project, the Mid World Mining Co, described on the Narrow Gauge Forum.

Pete the fitter is wondering how to put it right:

The colour is about right for this job, just to resolve the cracks now. The next go will have the wooden sides wrapped in clingfilm to avoid sticking, and I'm going to make the mixture slightly more runny.

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Re: Variant of the Carl Arendt SAP Linem

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:09 am

I think you have invented the Adobe wall. Maybe build houses with it. 8)
Ken

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:39 am

I like the effect. I think if you make the mixture with more water, then it will shrink even more, and crack more. Try filling the cracks with some of the same mixture. It should at least be same colour.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Ken - do you think that would catch on :D :D ?

Simon - thank you. Further experiments are planned for later in the incoming week, although work is a bit hectic just now.

I made a few other bits and pieces today. I took myself off to work this morning (no-one there but me and the cats on a Sunday, and I'd have been there to feed them anyway) and cut a small piece of aluminium plate for the control panel. Back home I drilled the mdf back panel and the plate, and mounted it temporarily with small bolts to see how it looks. Happy enough:

Image2016-04-10 18.42.34 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Now to talk nicely to Kate at the local signwriters and get the trackplan printed onto a piece of white vinyl and mounted on the aluminium. This will look a thousand times better than anything I can produce.

I'm going to use these miniature toggle switches on it, mainly because I have a bag of them (so free, and free is good) and also because they are slightly smaller than usual, and will look good on the tiny panel. They are DPDT, which leaves a spare set of contacts in case I think of some way to further complicate the wiring. Always best to be looking at something than looking for it :D

Image2016-02-07 19.25.49 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

I've also been thinking about the sound system (as it could loosely be termed) and found a speaker that will do nicely size wise mounted in the processing shed, up at the top on the right. Its 6cm in diameter, and is from a scrapped PC. One of the polystyrene cups - which used to contain garlic dip from the local chippy - will make a suitable baffle. I've used similar on a model boat to good effect. Again, both free, so all good.

Image2016-02-07 19.26.55 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Next I need to varnish the mdf panels to seal them on the outside, glue the tubes for the wiring in place into the foam, and make the cable runs under the board.

Les
Last edited by lesmond on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:42 am

Its all gone a it quiet here recently, mainly due to work being busier than usual, and a problem with my universal power supply (the Mighty Command box of Power) which went "pop" unexpectedly just when I wanted to find out which wire made which rail positive when to get on with the wiring. There was some fairly harsh language when this happened ("bum" etc).

The power supply is currently in one bit bit and two small bits on the bench, and will return in Mk6 format, with some fairly major modifications. I rather foolishly used second hand parts in it the first time(s) - no more of that carry on!

The postman is to bring me some bits for it through the week, so hopefully progress soon :D .

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Still all a bit quiet over here in my cluttered, dusty part of the universe, but there has been some very limited progress in the last few days.

The final bits to repair the power supply arrived from China with the postman through the week, and as I had some time in hand today, I warmed up the soldering iron and set to to make the final repairs.

The device has now reached the Mk6a version, and all was going well; the 12V DC circuitry all replaced, and ready to test. Unfortunately there was no output from any of the four voltage regulators, despite the input voltages all being well within tolerance. A quick Google search for the datasheet quickly made it clear that I have ordered the wrong parts (I ordered variable regulators, not the standard ones - serves me right for middle of the night / can't sleep ordering). Not entirely happy about this, as it sets things back for another few days until the postman arrives once again, and has held up overall progress. There may have been harsh langauge :D .

In the meantime, I've glued the two mdf ends onto the smaller of the two PVC pipe "tanks" - this one will be mounted horizontally above the sliding door. The second end is currently clamped up and hopefully setting now. I used Poundland two part epoxy for the first end, but am trying Gorilla Glue for the other one, just to try it out. Not the end of the world if it doesn't work, I've plenty of PVC pipe and spare ends. Next will be to cover it with heavy paper suitably embossed with rivets and work out how it will be mounted.

No photos, as there isn't anything worth taking a picture of since last time.

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:12 pm

Everything is worth a picture. 8) Too bad about the resistors, I like to order the wrong stuff too, but most times it comes useful somewhere. The slow boat from China is irritating sometimes though.
Ken

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:18 pm

Still very slow progress, it seems like one step back for every two forward at the moment. I'm also super busy in work (which is a good thing as it means the bills are paid and there is a couple of ££s over for modelling) but has a big cost in time and being too tired to do much when I eventually get home.

Moan over :D - I'm alive and well, on my feet and have a roof over my head.

The small tank looks like this with the two ends on and lightly sanded flush:

Image2016-03-20 16.26.04 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

Image2016-03-20 16.25.47 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The Gorilla Glue works well. Its a bit more runny than the two part epoxy, but sticks solid.

The next job on this one is to work out where pipes will fit in and out of it, whether it needs an inspection hatch, how to cover it to look like riveted metal (probably embossed paper), and how it will be mounted. It will also need to be painted to look well used but not at end of life condition. The mrs has a few ideas about this.

I'm thinking that as the bagging shed is corrugated iron over a wood frame construction it won't have very robust walls, so a support framework will be needed hold the tank up above the door. This won't be hard to make from Plastruct and scrap plastic / wood, and will add to the industrial look of the model.

I've also made this to continue with the power supply rebuild:

** Photo to follow **

now that the postman has brought the correct voltage regulators. I've also 11 spares, so there should be enough for the next few jobs :D.

There is still a good bit to do the power supply, two of the DC inputs to the regulator panel (the bit in the picture) aren't at the right voltage level, so I've had to order another couple of bits to remedy that one. They should be here on Wednesday, and all being well fitted the same day.

Then, once I've four 12V DC outputs, I need to finally connect those to the XLR sockets on the lid via the existing wiring. That will finish the job, and I can then finally power up the layout, connect a controller, and find out which coloured wire will go to the right hand rail to obtain forward movement when the locomotive is pointing forward (standard DC wiring convention). Once I know that, I can advance the wiring under the layout and think about laying track. At long, long last :shock:.

I'm going to do some work tonight at the soundtrack for the model. There is a small amplifier already mounted under the layout, this will be fed by one channel of a cheap mp3 player, and a speaker will be mounted at the top of the bagging shed on the inside. There will be a volume control on the control panel, as constant sound on a model can be very annoying. I've witnessed this at more than one show, not that I expect this wee layout to ever be seen in public, but better safe than sorry.

I'm going to use the free Audacity software to mix together some industrial sounds from this website:

http://www.freesfx.co.uk/soundeffects/f ... house/?p=1

to make a soundtrack that implies heavy grinding machinery at work in the shed, with occasional bursts of laughter, hand tool (hammering, shoveling) noises and anything else that seems appropriate. This will become an mp3 format file, which will last for at least an hour in order to not be too repetitive.

I've also (due to reading the Model Railroader) found that there is a mineral called Bentonite the sodium form of which is used in the manufacture of clumping cat litter and many other useful things.

Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentonite

It is mostly found in the US, but for the purposes of this model it has been assumed that a substantial vein was found in Co Antrim in the 1930s which has lead to the railway and processing plant being built.

The period for the model is going to be the early 1970s for no other reason than its a time period I really like, even though I wasn't born until 1968. I'm conveniently ignoring the Troubles which were in full swing around then - modelling is no place for sectarianism or politics.

That's it for now - sorry for a long post.

Les
Last edited by lesmond on Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:58 pm

Good to see an update. Bentonite is an important component of drill mud too. Gotta have it.

Yes, of course we will accept copies of the MP3 file when you perfect it. :D Thanks for asking. :lol:

I'm glad YOU are building the power supply. I cheat and use old PC supplies.
Ken

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:05 pm

Thanks Ken, hopefully this week and the holidays next week (off from lunchtime Friday to Wednesday morning) should see a fair bit done.

I like sound on a model, it adds a bit of atmosphere and brings the thing to life. The amplifier on this one only deals with one channel, I've bigger plans for the 009 model which will have three or possibly four small speakers (and a lot more landscape to hide it in :D ) and is next on the list after this one.

Absolutely no problem in making the sound file available when I get it done, too.

I like making things like the power supply. This one will power four small layouts and charge a phone all at once when it finally works :D .

Les
"Because I Can"

Nipissing
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Trains. What else ?

Postby Nipissing » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:38 am

No heat sink :?:
Have a nice day :D

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:02 am

Not yet - I'm going to use an aluminium strip from a dead PC PSU, its under forcible removal in work at present :D

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:48 pm

So, another age passes, and nothing done.

I took some time today and finally finished the power supply box. The board with the voltage regulators (and heat sinks - bought, not made as I ended up not having time to do so) is in place and waiting for the glue to dry.

It has been tested too, and all works as it should. I'll screw it together tomorrow (provided I'm home at a reasonable hour from work) and then FINALLY find out which colour wire is controller + on the baseboard wiring.

The next few weeks should see good progress :D

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:58 am

Still watching from here.
Ken

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:58 am

Right then.. mrs out, me in, so off to the workshop for Les :D

Now that the power supply is working, I was very quickly able to work out which is the positive track feed wire with the power on and the controller set to move a locomtive to the right (it's the grey ones, and I know the controller is set to "left" :D )

Chief engineer Clawdia approves the power supply, while wondering what corner she can squeeze into next:

The power and control system is modular, and is well described on the Narrow Gauge Forum. Its all to my own design, and I built the controllers too. The one here is a Mk2 variant.

Next on the list is to glue the plastic pipes which carry the track feed through the pink foam in place. I used Gorilla Glue for this - it is nice and runny to apply, but behaves a bit like expanding foam when it sets if not in compression with another surface. As applied it looks like this:

and I'll post another picture of it set a bit later on.

An overall view looks like this:

with the batteries holding it all in place as the structure is still quite light overall.

Next will be the rest of the wiring, track feeds, control for lights, sound and volume, and no doubt a few revisions as the proceeds.

Happy :D

Les
Last edited by lesmond on Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:12 pm

A little more done this afternoon. The Gorilla Glue goes off very quickly, and looks like this when it does:

Its rock hard when set, so the plastic pipes aren't going anywhere.

I also measured out and placed the cable tie bases for the wiring. There is one more hole yet to drill in the plywood. This is for the power feed for the track on the turntable, and as the mounting for this isn't quite worked out yet, I'm not entirely sure where the hole needs to be. All in due course.

Lovely to be making progress again.

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:16 am

I've been thinking about how to keep the wiring invisible on top side, and think that this is going to be one of those jobs where you chisel away at lots of wee bits and pieces for ages, seemingly getting nowhere, then all of a sudden there is huge progress.

The track feeds will be soldered to the bottom of the rails, and buried in ballast / concrete / ground cover, and won't be seen at all.

So that there isn't excess wire underneath (where it is certain to catch and cause damage), I'm thinking that the foam will need to be glued to the plywood, the back and side pieces at least temporarily attached, the turntable fitted (as this is crucial to the alignment of the curved track, the straight track to the loading dock, and the straight track to the bagging shed) and the power feeds added and dropped through the foam and plywood to connect to the tag strip and also to the control panel.

So, all of a sudden a lot to do, but major progress (and possibly even the first train running) at the end of it :D

Les
"Because I Can"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:24 pm

Right then.. apologies in advance for a fairly long post.

I've had a considerable amount of time to myself this weekend, so have done some thinking as to the best way to proceed. The turntable (and its alignment) are the key to the whole thing - if the tracks don't align with it, the whole thing doesn't work, so I've decided to make the mounting for it next.

After some careful measuring, I discovered that the turntable as it sits needs to rise by 20mm to align with the top of the foam "ground" without fouling. What I plan to do is cut two spacers from a piece of timber I found in the spare pieces of timber stash, drill a hole through them to hold a captive bolt, glue them to the underside of the turntable, then cut two slightly oversize holes in the plywood base for the bolts to pass through and also allow some adjustment for perfect alignment. Any slight height discrepancies (there shouldn't be any, but I can hear who ever wrote Murphy's Law (some bloke caled Murphy, perhaps :D ?) going "hahahahahahahahaha" faintly in the background) can be adjusted out by using very thin washers as shims. This system also means that the turntable can be removed if required.

The bolts are upside down in the photo above.

I've been thinking about the rolling stock - such as it is - for this layout too. A good many years ago a member of this forum who's name eludes me cast these ore car bodies:

seen here on a Steve Bennett chassis. I ended up with five of them, so once I acquire a few more chassis these will do for ore incoming to the bagging shed. Five will be enough to cause a traffic jam and an interesting shunting puzzle. I've a couple of flat cars for bagged litter outgoing, so a couple more won't hurt, and will make a fuel tanker, work car and water tanker in due course.

Next, I decided to look at how to attach the mdf side and back pieces in such a way that they will stay aligned but be able to be removed during construction. My late father in law gave me a biscuit tin full of BA nuts, bolts and other odds and ends many years ago, so after a quick hoke I found six of these nut, bolt, washer & spring washer sets:

I then clamped the layout to the bench in its long side, and using spring clips temporarily fitted the two mdf sections. I made sure they were aligned with the bottom and side edges of the plywood base, so it will all sit flat once complete.

I then carefully measured and drilled three holes into the mdf / ply "sandwich" to hold the back piece in place. The bolts weren't quite long enough to use both washers and spring washers, but it appears that the spring washers aren't needed as the bolts tighten up well.

I've not measured or drilled the end panel yet, as I need to sand the ply base where the top meets the back as it isn't quite smooth and is pushing the mdf out slightly, and I want to use a recently acquired electric nail gun to attach the end to the batten on the back while it is securely clamped in place.

From the front, it looks like this:

The aluminium plate is the back of the control panel, which will be hidden inside the corrugated iron bagging shed.

Apologies again for a long post. I'm happy with the weekend's progress, but given the working week ahead there probably won't be too much done this week :(

Les
"Because I Can"

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 am

Les,
I am loving how this fascinating build is progressing. Wish I was as good at electrics as you are.
cheers
Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Cheers, Geoff, and thanks for the kind words.

Keep red - red, black - black and blue to bits in mind and you won't go wrong :D

Les
"Because I Can"

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:26 am

YES! We got past electrickery and on to trains and layout goodies. Can't wait till you show us the drive for the turntable. 8)
Ken

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:01 am

DIGRESSION WARNING:

I've not had any modelling time for a bit - I could have done but was caught up by the Amazon production of "The Man In The High Castle" and spent a few evenings watching it. If you like alternate future stories (this was set in a US occupied by the Germans and Japanese and set in 1962) give it a look.

I've managed to stay married for just over 21 years, as well, so the mrs and I had a weekend away last weekend. To my great delight I found an open, well stocked model shop in a not too far away (50 miles or so) town. I invested in a fair bit of Plastruct, glue, paint & wood strip, and will be making a return trip in the near future. It was lovely to be able to browse a model shop rather than shop online :D .

The local model club show is on this weekend, so if any of the assembled brethren find themselves in Northern Ireland they will be made most welcome:

http://www.ndmrs.co.uk/exhibition.html

I'm not a member (although I was for years) and it is always a good day out. All being well I'll not spend too much and acquire some useful bits and pieces.

MODELLING CONTENT STARTS HERE:

I've been thinking a lot about the detail on this model. As it is 1:24, little things that wouldn't be seen in the smaller scales matter, and I want this to be as near to perfect as I can achieve.

I follow a company called Scale Model Scenery on Facebook. I've no association comercially with them, but like what they do, which are a lot of laser cut bits and pieces mainly in smaller scales amongst many other things. They recently announced a range of manhole and drain covers in 1:43, I jokingly asked if there was any chance of a set in 1:24, and was both pleased and surprised when they said "yes" :D .

As a result, a fret of these:

are now on the way to me.

Sorry for a bit of a rambling post. Next week will see progress (he added hopefully)...
"Because I Can"

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:28 am

those manhole covers look good. I had thought of doing something via 3D printing, but laser cutting would be a lot cheaper. I have collected quite a few photos of different designs, mainly French,and I think each town had its own design, as towns ran the water services, and still do in France.
Have you got more info, or do I just search on Facebook- tried that and wording is too general.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Return to “Modelling Matters”