GLS30 Diesel Loco

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Re: GLS30 Diesel Loco

Postby Steve Holland » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:14 pm

I am going to paint it - honest!
Work and Christmas got in the way and now it is too cold to get the airbrush out :cry: .........
Unless I wait for my wife to go out, work quickly indoors and get some really strong air freshener. Could result in a low flying GLS30 though :lol:
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:14 pm

I have finally got round to putting the initial coat of paint on the GLS30 a couple of weeks ago. There was too much going on to be able to take some pictures between then and now, but I have finally got round to it.
It was typical airbrushing conditions for me on that Saturday- cold, windy and wet! My wife does not want to do any work in the garden (or more accurately get me doing the digging while she directs operations) when it is monsoon conditions, so I grabbed the opportunity with both hands. It has to be said that working with the garage door wide open whilst blasting the etch primer around was a miserable experience :( Spraying some of the acrylics was not much fun either, but for a different reason.
Top coats were acrylics from the Tamiya, Lifecolor and Humbrol ranges.
The cab and bonnet were airbrushed with Tamiya XF-26, deep green. This went on beautifully, covering well with a couple of passes.
Humbrol 220 was used for the under frame, and this is where the "fun" started. The Humbrol paint gave my airbrush constipation; despite thorough mixing and diluting to a milky consistency it was turning in to lumps inside the airbrush's nozzle. The stuff also dried glossy - I don't think it was meant to, so I ended up giving it a coat of matt acrylic medium. It was not just the red that I had problems with as the Humbrol 106 grey that I initially sprayed on the gearbox also clogged the airbrush, and it had a pebbly finish. Before anyone asks, I did use the proper thinners for the wretched stuff. Three strip-downs and clean outs of the airbrush :evil: got the model to the point where I could brush paint the cab interior and the black bits.
Brush painting with the Humbrols was no better as they went on streaky, with obvious brush marks. I tried a brush painted coat of Humbrol 123 on the gearbox and as well as being streaky it was also glossy. A brushed coat of Tamiya field grey finally saved the gearbox from a dunking in Modelstrip.
You might have gathered by now that I am not impressed with the Humbrol acrylic paint range. It may just be me getting it wrong, but I will be sticking with the Tamiya and Lifecolor range for airbrushing, and they are just as good with a conventional paintbrush.
Enough moaning, here's some photos.

I really must do something about the coupler block pins - bent NS wire is just not good enough!
A trial length of track has been put together from some Karlgarin code 125 rail, Peco track spikes and 3/8in x 1/8in wood all on a piece of blue foam that I had lurking in the garage. The sleepers are a tad too long, but the GLS30 looks quite good on it.

The diesel is also quite a good size match for my Bagnall, 'Sipat'.

Now I need to add the cab glazing, then hope that some weathering will cover up the grotty finish left by the Humbrol acrylics. Then I need to carry out some surgery on one of my cheap Chinese figures to make a driver.
Steve Holland

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 am

For all the trouble, she looks good. I have a paper model of that loco, maybe someday it will roll. Cheap Chinese drivers... do they work for low wages? :shock:
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:47 am

Steve Holland wrote: I am not impressed with the Humbrol acrylic paint range. It may just be me getting it wrong,
From what I've seen and heard, it is only you and upwards of six hundred military modelers who feel that way.
Tamiya acrylics airbrush grandly, started using them in mid 1980s. I'm not sure about their spray cans, we don't get along as famously and I don't know why.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:43 am

That looks lovely, Steve - well done.

I'll keep the Humbrol paint problem in mind, as I'm going to need to get some paint fairly soon, and will be spraying a fair bit of it.

Thanks for sharing.

Les
"Because I Can"

Broadoak
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: British Narrow gauge, American shortlines,anything that runs on rails really.

Postby Broadoak » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:58 pm

I think you have done a cracking job on the loco.

I think the paint finish looks realistic, not show room but used and looked after by a caring crew.

Peter M
Peter M

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:50 am

Lovely job,
thumbs up from me.
I get on OK with most Tamiya spray cans, except for Maroon which I have had a lot of trouble with.

cheers
Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

chris69
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: any thing with narrow gauge and quarries

Postby chris69 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Congrats, excellent job!
Great color combination.
Best
Chris
It's my RR and it exists,in my mind!!!!!!!!

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks for the kind comments. Hopefully the cab glazing will be going in tonight - if I can find the clear plastic.
Steve Holland

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Feb 28, 2016 9:08 pm

The clear plastic finally turned up after a rummage through the backs of various cupboards and other hiding places. I spent half an evening glazing the cab and the other half getting the dust from the clear plastic off the model. Sanding the edges produced a lot of static and the dust stuck to everything, me included.
I have got the initial layers of dirt and decay on to the model; the aim is to get to somewhere that looks as though picking it up will get your hands dirty.

The inside of the cab is still way too clean and free of clutter. It needs some oilcans, old rags, etc., so that is going to keep me quiet for a while.
The GLS30 is looking good with some wagons behind it.

Further washes of 'grot and fester' to come next week.
Steve Holland

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Steve Holland wrote:I have got the initial layers of dirt and decay on to the model; the aim is to get to somewhere that looks as though picking it up will get your hands dirty.
:lol: I like that way of expressing that.
Yes, static cling - it will be nice to have winter over and more humidity in the air. Then about middle July I'll be wanting a touch less humidity in the air.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:23 am

Yes, the loco is looking fine!

Humidity... don't speak of that. With humidity comes bugs, not necessary for life. 8) I spent my first 35 years in the Missouri humidity. I'll take DRY thanks! :D
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:30 am

Well, I gotta give MO some credit for not being GA and SC swamp country.
The age old dilemma, swamps or snow? :?: Swamps or snow? :? Swamps or snow?
It's like that "caught between a rock and a hard place" thing, except this time it's caught between a cottonmouth and an ice scraper.

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:54 am

Beautiful work! :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:41 pm

That is simply gorgeous work. That is the one with the brass cabin, and it looks great
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Steve Holland » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:24 pm

At last there is a driver for the GLS30, at the third attempt. I tried a few of my cheap Chinese figures and decided that they needed too much surgery. The second attempt used one of the seated figures from the Italeri truck accessory kit, the vaguely hippie one with the sandals and stripy shirt. I got as far as adding some wellie boots with Miliput, then the Fujimi figures and interior accessories set turned up in the post, and the seated mechanic was perfect for the job.
The Fujimi mechanic spent a very uncomfortable week perched on a cocktail stick while he was painted :shock:

At least he is a bit happier with the seat on the GLS30 gearbox.

There did not seem to be much point in adding any junk inside the cab as the driver would effectively hide it.

The GLS30 is quite a large loco compared to my Dragonfly.

I added a few more rust streaks to the loco, then had to resist the temptation to add yet more grot. I think the time to stop weathering is just when you think the model needs a little bit more. It is far too easy to overdo things and end up with a mess - ask me how I know :lol:

I must make some proper coupler pins as those bits of bent wire really do not look good in the photos - and I have spotted the white bit just inside the right hand side of the radiator grille. Close up photos can be so cruel!
That's about it for the GLS30 build; it has been an enjoyable project, despite freezing in the garage when I painted it and the problems with the Humbrol acrylics. Just don't hold your breath waiting for a layout that it can run on :lol:
Steve Holland

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nevadablue » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:56 am

Very nice work Steve. The driver looks good as does the loco. They look like they were made for each other. :D
Ken

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:38 am

Steve Holland wrote: ask me how I know
How do you know? :wink: Speaking of paint, driver looks good, especially his eyes. None of my locos are finished in either the building stage or the painting stage - but it has been noticed that projecting toes seem to have the paint worn off soon.

Return to “Modelling Matters”