I have finally got round to putting the initial coat of paint on the GLS30 a couple of weeks ago. There was too much going on to be able to take some pictures between then and now, but I have finally got round to it.
It was typical airbrushing conditions for me on that Saturday- cold, windy and wet! My wife does not want to do any work in the garden (or more accurately get me doing the digging while she directs operations) when it is monsoon conditions, so I grabbed the opportunity with both hands. It has to be said that working with the garage door wide open whilst blasting the etch primer around was a miserable experience
Spraying some of the acrylics was not much fun either, but for a different reason.
Top coats were acrylics from the Tamiya, Lifecolor and Humbrol ranges.
The cab and bonnet were airbrushed with Tamiya XF-26, deep green. This went on beautifully, covering well with a couple of passes.
Humbrol 220 was used for the under frame, and this is where the "fun" started. The Humbrol paint gave my airbrush constipation; despite thorough mixing and diluting to a milky consistency it was turning in to lumps inside the airbrush's nozzle. The stuff also dried glossy - I don't think it was meant to, so I ended up giving it a coat of matt acrylic medium. It was not just the red that I had problems with as the Humbrol 106 grey that I initially sprayed on the gearbox also clogged the airbrush, and it had a pebbly finish. Before anyone asks, I did use the proper thinners for the wretched stuff. Three strip-downs and clean outs of the airbrush
got the model to the point where I could brush paint the cab interior and the black bits.
Brush painting with the Humbrols was no better as they went on streaky, with obvious brush marks. I tried a brush painted coat of Humbrol 123 on the gearbox and as well as being streaky it was also glossy. A brushed coat of Tamiya field grey finally saved the gearbox from a dunking in Modelstrip.
You might have gathered by now that I am not impressed with the Humbrol acrylic paint range. It may just be me getting it wrong, but I will be sticking with the Tamiya and Lifecolor range for airbrushing, and they are just as good with a conventional paintbrush.
Enough moaning, here's some photos.
I really must do something about the coupler block pins - bent NS wire is just not good enough!
A trial length of track has been put together from some Karlgarin code 125 rail, Peco track spikes and 3/8in x 1/8in wood all on a piece of blue foam that I had lurking in the garage. The sleepers are a tad too long, but the GLS30 looks quite good on it.
The diesel is also quite a good size match for my Bagnall, 'Sipat'.
Now I need to add the cab glazing, then hope that some weathering will cover up the grotty finish left by the Humbrol acrylics. Then I need to carry out some surgery on one of my cheap Chinese figures to make a driver.