Herb's Mechanical

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Re: Herb's Mechanical

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:31 am

Hey, that's looking good already, and ya gotta love it when pieces and bits fall together nicely. Oh, come on memory, help me out here -- there's a technical name for that swing thing that's like a pie slice from a turntable, umm, sector plate?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15 modeling after Hayward Estate RR

Postby Larry C. » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks. Now that you mention it; yes I believe that the correct term is "sector plate". Surprisingly everything fit nicely; the only fence that I had to make was a small piece in the corner. Will be using the office building and the warehouse from CA Farms; after a face lift on the warehouse.
Hopefully I'll be making a trip to the hobby store this afternoon to pick up a few supplies, among which will be some artificial dirt. Won't make that same mistake twice.

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:01 pm

The sector plate area is pretty much finished. Here's an aerial view :

I put in "stops" on the two outside tracks, so all I have to do is make sure that the sector plate is against them and the tracks are lined up perfectly. The only track I have to "eyeball" is the center track. This system works really well. The long timbers on either side of the sector plate is to keep people from walking into a moving track. Safety first.

Here is a pic of the office area with another view of the sector plate:

The office is now pretty much done; I had to finish the left end of it. I think that the corner will be filled with weeds, tall grass, and rusted junk. I'm going back to work soon so progress will slow down on the layout; I guess that I need to make some money so that we can keep eating. Suggestions or comments welcomed.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:57 pm

That looks simply great! I like the "safety timbers". Maybe a railing too? Great work.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:47 am

Larry C. wrote:I guess that I need to make some money so that we can keep eating. Suggestions or comments welcomed.
Oven baked with barbecue sauce is a simple way to get a different flavor to your meat when it is not grilling weather, or you don't have one to begin with. I do that a lot.
Oh, wait, did you mean about train stuff? :wink:
Yes, the edge timbers work, and the bolts really make the look complete.
Hmm ... railing ... how would something looking like it is made of iron pipe sections fit the theme?
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks for the railing idea guys; I never thought about that, but it works. Just need to figure out how to do it. Maybe brass rod or something alone those lines?
Yes I meant the railroad stuff, but thanks for the cooking tip.

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:57 pm

Have had some time to work on the layout of late, so here are some progress pics:

This is the warehouse from CA Farms reworked. The paper siding was removed and replaced with craft sticks. A new door was made to be closed. The wood was painted with an acrylic wash and weathered. Also made a sign on the computer and mounted it to card, then attached it to the building. The roof still needs to be redone.

Wanting to take a break from building, I decided to start putting down some the basic ground work:

This my first attempt at using "poyfiber" as a base for grass. Glued some down and sprinkled some course turf over the top. I think that I like the effect. I'm trying to make the scenery look as real as possible.

Here is the same area with some nicely "rusted junk" nestled in the tall grass. Also started using some artificial dirt which needs some more work and I need to transition from the tall grass to the dirt, The more that I look at the area, the more I like it.

That's about it for now. Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:35 pm

I like the junk! I have got some hanging basket fiber that I should try this week. Cheep and plentiful.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:22 pm

Larry,
First, I hope you are feeling better.
You are inspiring me to get back to my models. I'm cutting firewood right now, bad winter forecast and I don't have hardly any wood ready. We heat with wood here.
I love the layout! Lots of inspiration, lots of neat details in that little layout. I wonder how you got a picture of a corner of my yard though. Must be Google Earth... :lol:
I'm stealing the capstan idea. Brilliant! I think that some handles on top of one would make a realistic working winch out of one too.
Keep it up, I'll be watching for updates to copy... :D
Ken

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:55 pm

Hey Nevada. I spent 18 years in Vermont and we also used wood. Now at 70 years old I heat with gas if we need it. Doesn't get too cold here in the Emerald Coast. 8)
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:43 pm

Doc, I've tried to find basket liner but was unable to do so. The polyfiber idea I got from demaine22's latest G9 project. It's cheap and a bag goes a long way. The junk is disposable lighter parts that Steve B. did a thread on some time ago, although I don't remember which thread that it was.

Ken yes I feel much better and am healed up, back to work now at least for a couple of more years. Our winter last year was brutal between the massive amounts of snow and the sub zero cold. This winter may even be worse. Thank you for the nice comments; if you see something that you like please feel free to "copy away".

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:07 pm

They say that "necessity is the mother of invention", which is true in this case. I'm using link & pin couplers on my layout, so I couple and uncouple the cars by hand. I was looking for something to do this with; so I opened up a large paperclip straightened it and put a hook on one end. This was fine but it would turn in my hand which made it hard to use. Then I came up with this idea:

By using an old "stick pen", which was out of ink, I was able to pull off the ball-point and put the end of the paperclip up into the empty ink tube. This was fine except the the hole was too big. By using a small piece of masking tape around the clip, I was able to force it up into the tube and then used a small amount of super-glue to secure it.
Now I can couple/uncouple the cars without my big hands knocking stuff over. As a bonus I can also pull the sector plate into position with this tool. If I turn the pen case around, then I can push the sector plate away from me into position.
This may not really be an "invention", but it works very well.

Also I wanted a small shed on the front right hand side of the layout, so I "re-purposed" the old critter shed:

By taking off the front, which will now become the back wall of the new shed, I was able to rebuild the front so that I ended up with a small shed for general repairs. When I originally built the critter shed I was not sure of the size needed, It proved to be too small to detail it the way that I wanted to. Being that I needed another building, I figured that this was the best way of going about it.
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:51 pm

Good lookin' shed. Worn but not too worn. What are you gunna put in it?
David (Doc)

Oh yeah, one of our smarties in GN15 suggested brass vertical pins on the cars and a steel link. Then a little magnet glued to a stick would remove the links and not grab the couplers.
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:32 pm

docnjoj wrote:
Oh yeah, one of our smarties in GN15 suggested brass vertical pins on the cars and a steel link. Then a little magnet glued to a stick would remove the links and not grab the couplers.

That would be great for uncoupling but not much good for putting the links back on! I think I will stick to using tweezers.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:00 pm

Nah you do it like the real oldtime brakemen. Uncouple once, then take a break. :wink:
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:27 pm

Doc, I'll probably set it up as a general maintenance area for things around the facility. Maybe to go as far as fixing wagon (flat car) wheels. All other wagon or critter repairs and/or rebuilds will be handled at the critter shed.

As far as the uncoupling goes, I tend to agree with Don. Once the link is off, then it has to be put back on. With my tool I can pick the link off of the wagon and it still stays attached to the critter. I guess everybody has their own system for this task.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:08 pm

Yes I will be fighting my own demons using Arnold Rapido couplers. Two of the three uncouplers that I ordered have arrived and I'll do some photos tomorrow. Who knows, I may go back to Lincoln Pin.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:19 pm

Larry C. wrote:They say that "necessity is the mother of invention",
Okay, but who's the daddy? No one ever talks about that. :lol: That is a pretty neat idea. It is fun to watch ideas come together for people, ya like it when they have something to smile about.

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:32 pm

Doc, best of luck with those couplers.
Willow Creek Traction wrote:Okay, but who's the daddy? No one ever talks about that.
I think the daddy works at the Patent Office, but I'm not sure.

Here are a couple of shots of the office area which almost has all the basic ground work done:

The area by the wood fence is going to be a "break area" for the workers. Maybe a couple of benches and some other stuff.

This is one of my favorite shots so far. The angle makes the layout look so much longer than it really is. And yes in the lower left hand corner I included a "capstan"; I couldn't resist.
That's about it so far; I'll post more pics as I progress.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:30 pm

The scenery is really coming together. I wish my lawn looked that good after the kid gets done mowing. Great stuff.
David(Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks Doc. I have managed to finish the basic ground cover on the layout. Here are a couple of pics:

For some reason the areas that are flat have photographed a light green. In reality they are brown which is dirt. It looks brown in person. :roll: Must be the inside light that does that. Anyway now that the first layer of scenery is down; I can start working on the new critter shed. :)
Any comments or suggestions welcomed.

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:59 pm

The critter shed has been built so I thought that I would share of couple of pics:

As stated previously the front of the old shed has become the back of new shed. Instead of laminating all of the lumber,I used the same size finished lumber in a single basswood strip. This makes it look better. It was painted in an acrylic wash and weathered. I made it two scale feet higher and two scale feet deeper; so now I think that I have enough room to detail it the way that I wanted too in the first place.

Here is what it looks like with a wagon pushed inside of it. Plenty of room.
That's it for now.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:46 am

Has a decision been made on what kind of roof material the shed will have?

Larry C.
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Larry C. » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:43 pm

The small maintenance shed, I was thinking, would have "rolled roofing" which is quite common in this area if you want a cheap and quick roof. I'm not sure about the critter shed. I had thought about leaving it open to see the detailing better, but I'm open to suggestions on this.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:52 am

Could have a couple folks getting set up to put new roof on it. Of course that would involve the time and money to model figures, tools, roofing supplies. But is an idea which would add life, tell a story, and imply a future story.

Return to “Modelling Matters”