Brown filler.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Brown filler.

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:09 pm

We have probably all done it, used plaster next to track, or on scenery and it gets knocked revealing bright white spots. Easy to remedy with paint but I think I might have found something better.
I needed something brown to spread along side of track, covering sleepers, chocolate you might suggest :lol: . I was considering ready mixed white plaster, bought some, but before I used it I came across some brown wood filler in local Wilkinson's store(it really is the replacement for old style Woolworth's) . Normally these wood filler are solvent based, but this looks more like plaster, so does not appear to attack plastics(yet). I spread some next to track, and left it overnight. I seems to dry very slowly, but there appears to be no adverse reaction, so I continued to use it on other parts of layout. As it is brown, it looks like dirt so if painted and then scratched does not show up badly.
brown wood filler
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Re: Brown filler.

Postby Colin Peake » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:53 pm

I've used the white version of Wilko wood filler to embed track before (simply as it was to hand) and suffered no problems. It seems to be a different formula to the ready-mixed interior filler, I'm not sure it is plaster. Used some today for it's intended purpose in a decorating project!

BTW, Wilkinson/Wilko are a local company to us and my Dad once met with the founder on official business. His aim was that they were just like the Woolworths of old, so it is a valid comparison. Sadly, since the loss of Woolworths, the cheaper end competitors have given them a run for their money on value, but the quality of their own-brand products is usually very higher.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Return to “Modelling Matters”