Initial Plans (aka Nick's back)

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Initial Plans (aka Nick's back)

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:07 am

Hi all,

As I said in a previous thread I'm starting to make something of a return to model railways and Gn15. Unlike the last attempt nearly a year and a half ago I'm actually starting to get things done. I'll be ordering the stuff I need for a baseboard tomorrow (aka payday :wink: ) along with a few stretches of flexitrack so I can start mucking about with layout ideas. I've also got some sidelines kits (a Dragonfly and a pair of wagons) that I'll be looking to get built as soon as possible.

Until I can actually get started building things however I've been mucking around with Any Rail 5 and come up with a tentative plan for what I'd like to build.

My thoughts are that this could be around the back of a factory and simply be a storage/maintenance area for the small railway that runs through it. However I get so many ideas running through my head that all of this is liable to change apart from the baseboard size because that's all the space I have to play with if I want the layout to be set up permanently at home. I'm already thinking that I could fit a small fiddle yard around the back which could be useful should I ever want to display the layout at a show.
*Insert witty signature here*

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Initial Plans (aka Nick's back)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:22 am

Hi Nick,

I always think that factories and sheds are a great excuse to have pretty much anything trundling to and fro. The only thing I'd question/perhaps change is the shed. Is it for servicing locos/stock? If it is for 'stuff' for the factory then said 'stuff' needs to be seen to come and go. If instead you have the siding going into the factory then you continue to have a great excuse for 'stuff' to vanish in and out of doors/holes in the wall without having to be overly logical.

I also reckon that just that one point at this stage gives plenty of scope for operational interest. It makes the layout quicker and simpler to build and is hopefully hardly likely to break the bank either! :wink:

Cheers,

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:27 am

Additional: It also occurs that, whilst aesthetically I like the gentle curve in the visible section, unless it has to go around something that was originally there and couldn't be moved when the railway was put in, then the factory would have the track running in a straight line.

Cheers,

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Are you going to make the layout portable Nick?

Just wondering :D :mrgreen:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:40 pm

chris stockdale wrote:Hi Nick,

I always think that factories and sheds are a great excuse to have pretty much anything trundling to and fro. The only thing I'd question/perhaps change is the shed. Is it for servicing locos/stock? If it is for 'stuff' for the factory then said 'stuff' needs to be seen to come and go. If instead you have the siding going into the factory then you continue to have a great excuse for 'stuff' to vanish in and out of doors/holes in the wall without having to be overly logical.

I also reckon that just that one point at this stage gives plenty of scope for operational interest. It makes the layout quicker and simpler to build and is hopefully hardly likely to break the bank either! :wink:

Cheers,

Sorry should have made that clear, that shed is intended to be a storage shed/workshop for the railway. Point taken about things disappearing and reappearing. That's part of the reason I'm considering adding a small fiddle yard would allow for much more "stuff" to be moved around. I do hope the layout is fairly easy to build, this will actually be the first time I've laid a point which is impressive considering that I've previously built and displayed two layouts.

chris stockdale wrote:Additional: It also occurs that, whilst aesthetically I like the gentle curve in the visible section, unless it has to go around something that was originally there and couldn't be moved when the railway was put in, then the factory would have the track running in a straight line.

Cheers,

Scenery plans aren't confirmed yet, so I'll have to think of something to go there. A large tree stump perhaps?

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:Are you going to make the layout portable Nick?

Just wondering :D :mrgreen:

Just wondering eh Barry? Well I hope it will be portable but I'm not saying anything for certain just yet. :P

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:37 pm

Don't forget you can now have inset track and working wagon turntables. The turntables add a lot of interest in a small space.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:12 am

Ah yes of course, thanks to the magic of 3d printing eh? I will certainly be considering some of your designs Simon. Inset track will certainly be a must have for the visible sections inside the factory building(s), not so sure I want to do an inset point though.

This morning when I got up (at 5:30! damn blackbirds) I ordered myself a sort of baseboard kit thingy from Grainge and Hodder. I know it would have been a lot cheaper to do everything myself but to be honest I don't have the tools or the woodworking ability to make a really good baseboard. Oh and I like the smell of laser cut wood. :mrgreen:

I've also ordered a box of Peco O-16.5 flexitrack, some rail joiners, some track nails, some cork sheet and because my old one seems to have gone missing an SLM Jon figure (got to have one right?). A whole box of track might seem like over kill but knowing what I'm like as soon as I start one project I start about three more so I might as well pre empt myself and save a bit of money in the long run. I found myself looking at briefcases last night and thinking about potential layouts :roll:

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:51 am

I won't repost the thread here, but I have put something on the MTI forum about building one of my wagon turntables, the OO version, but Gn15 is very similarhttp://forum.mtimag.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=1923
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Thanks for the link, definitely something I'll be considering.

Anyway, this evening I've been playing around with some paper and card to produce a mock-up of the track and scenery. A bit rough but I think it shows what I'm aiming for quite well. The wagon is simply there for scale purposes. You'll have to excuse the background of records, TV and musical instruments, couldn't find anywhere else to take the photo.

My thoughts are that this layout is a small part of a much larger factory, possibly Victorian in origin, which has been modernised with the addition of a light railway sometime in the 20th century. Not sure exactly when in the 20th century yet mind you. Not sure on the height of the building yet, thinking about making it a total of about 3 or 4 storeys plus roof (or a section of roof at least). So pretty big to say the least. Obviously there will be a wall on the far left, I just ran out of cardboard box to cut up for that bit. Thinking of making that particular wall a gable end to add some visual interest to that corner of the layout. Of course all the windows that Victorian industrial buildings tend to have also offer some modelling opportunities.

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:06 pm

Looks like I'll be able to make a start this weekend. Track arrived on Monday and when I got home from work this evening I found a baseboard kit in the shed. :D

Probably can't do too much until I get a point but I've got woodwork to muddle through first.

Ooh what a blurry and badly lit photo. :roll:

Oh I also bought this.

What did I say about me and projects spawning projects. In this case what I'd like to do is get some practice on something smaller than the factory layout. I've also been wanting to do some sort of breifcase layout since I first saw one of those z gauge ones in a Noch catalogue quite a few years ago. It'll probably just be a very tight oval with basic scenery but I've got some depth to play with which could be interesting.

Return to “Modelling Matters”