First Gn15 revenue car

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Maddog
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, Narrow Gauge, Carson & Colorado/Slim Princess, Virginia & Truckee, Denver & Rio Grande, Uintah Railway, Death Valley

First Gn15 revenue car

Postby Maddog » Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:11 am

My first attempt at Gn15 is an assortment of bits and pieces. The frame came from an old HO scale Mantua stock car. I figured since it was all metal it would add some weight. The round object on the right is suppose to be a brake wheel that I made out of a brass washer. The couplers were made from some brass tubing that was flattened and cut to length. I'm not sure if the couplers look right, but they work. I can always change them out later if I need to. What look like grab irons are really tie downs; no need for grab irons since the bed of the car is about 16 scale inches above the rail head. The overall dimensions of the car are 3' 3" by 11' 9".

P1010003.JPG
P1010003.JPG (94.65 KiB) Viewed 769 times

P1010010.JPG
P1010010.JPG (97.41 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Perhaps not a thing of beauty, but this is something that the shop foreman could have knocked together from spare parts laying around. I am going for that well used and well worn look, where the wood gets quickly bleached from a hot sun in the Nevada and eastern California deserts.

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Re: First Gn15 revenue car

Postby NotHarryPotter » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:22 am

Well done! A good start.

I have found that snap stud fasteners of the type used on clothing look the part on rolling stock as Brake wheels. They come in a variety of sizes and can be used across different scales.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_fastener

best regards
Geoff Potter
Wamberal NSW Australia
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Maddog
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15, Narrow Gauge, Carson & Colorado/Slim Princess, Virginia & Truckee, Denver & Rio Grande, Uintah Railway, Death Valley

Re: First Gn15 revenue car

Postby Maddog » Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Great suggestion! I'll pick some up and give them a try.

Return to “Modelling Matters”