Card Loco Body

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Card Loco Body

Postby BarryL » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:51 pm

Are there any loco designs that can be downloaded and printed in card. In trying to visualise what I am going to build i'm struggling with the proportions and a typical diesel outline body kit that can be downloaded, printed and folded up out of thin card and placed on a chassis to help get the proportions right would be a great help. In fact I suppose such a card kit could provide body parts that could be 'rusted', weathered and bent/dented. So is there such a thing available please ?
Barry

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Card Loco Body

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:32 am

Hi Barry,

There's been quite a few folk using card (just take a look through the old threads - although I realise there are quite a few to play with and you may be lost for days :D ) but for a downloadable printy try this:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3823

cheers,

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Postby BarryL » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:22 am

Thos two posts will do very nicely to get me started Chris.
Many thanks
Barry

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:15 am

If you really want a more complex build Barry, look here:
viewtopic.php?t=8386
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Postby BarryL » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:36 am

Thats a stunning model Gerry but I think I should aim considerably lower to start with although the inspiration value is considerable.
Many thats
Barry

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:18 pm

If you join Paper Modelers website there are quite a few free small diesel downloads that are available some of which are fairly simple. You will also see state of the art paper modeling, as good as that beautiful Lister. Some are simply unbelievably great! I have a couple that I started, but with Steve Bennett making his resin stuff again at pepper7, I have gone back to easier modeling. Paper takes quite a bit of work, and I am getting old and lazy.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:28 pm

For some folks it seems to be too difficult to set a simple link.
For a start, you can try this: http://www.zoffi.net/MOBAZI/anlagen/GN15/lok2V2.pdf

Or work yourself through this longer German thread: http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1230

Have Fun

Juergen

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:13 pm

Cool diesel, Juergen. Thank you for this.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:02 pm

http://www.die-feldbahnsinnigen.de/foru ... =56&t=1230

I just went through the German link and while they went down to 14 mm track width, I was thinking of G9. Reduce it to about 60% might work.
When I get a break from teaching I may try it. Don't hold your breath, though.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Here is another downloadable small diesel similar to the one you got from Jeurgen.

Whoops it is apparently offline today. I'll keep trying.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

BarryL
'boxer
'boxer

Postby BarryL » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:29 am

Blimey there is certainly some interesting stuff about. Thanks for all the info.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby docnjoj » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Paper is wonderful stuff to work with. It just takes a bit of time to size the model and cut out the bits. The Poles sell Laser cut paper kits. I've never done one but the level of detail on some is simply unbelievable.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:43 pm

Steve Holland is using one of these Polish cardboard kits to built an interpretation in styrene and brass: http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10230

I hope he is OK, since the thread stopped some months ago.

Have Fun

Juergen

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Juergen,

Thanks for asking - I am alive and well, just got distracted by a 16mm scale WDLR Baldwin kit, see http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=10410. There are some 90 or so 14BA nuts and bolts holding the Baldwin frames together, then setting up some working springing and the coupling rods has kept me quiet for ages.
I have done a little more on the GLS30 as I finally managed to get some brass strip for the cab seam, so I must get round to making some of the cab fittings then take some more photos to share with you. The Baldwin has been put in its box (it is so big that it is overflowing the original kit box!) so that I am not tempted to start attacking the valve gear :)
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

Return to “Modelling Matters”