harlequin

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

harlequin

Postby Simon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Smallbrook Harlequin.

This was last year's Christmas present so thought I really ought to get on with it! Finally I can bend my leg enough to sit at a desk...although my modelling desk has a Christmas tree on it so I'm having to use the comp0uter desk...in the dark.

Anyway, I've thrown it together like the instructions suggested, more or less. It seems to make a nice model, although (and I state this as a personal view not as a judgement of the kit makers), if I spent a load of money on a kit I like it to go together without having to gouge out great lumps of the kit, redrill holes to the correct size, refinish the surfaces, etc.....if I do start having to do all of this I start to think that maybe scratch building would have been less trouble and much less expense (we will see as I start building a scratch body for a similar chassis after this one is done). But I'm sure that many out there see kits as glorified 'scratch-aids' and so don't mind all of this extra work.

As you can see, it's had its first coat of paint. And I've also painted all of the brass stuff....which caused me great angst as it did look so nice and shiny. But every other loco on my layout is weather worn and tired and so a shiny new loco wouldn't fit in very well. This is why I'm happy that I'm rubbish at making entire locos out of brass - I can't bring myself to put paint on them!

Still to do: heavy weathering, adding clutter, most-hated of jobs: making some spectacle glass and getting that in, and cutting the cylinders off to be replaced with something a little more inspiring than the humble hornby smokie joe set up....watch this space.

Simon
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Re: harlequin

Postby Simon » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:10 pm

Hmmmm, can we spot the slight problem?

Never fear...there is a plan B!!!!!!!!

Return to “Modelling Matters”