New Scale, new railway

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

New Scale, new railway

Postby Grum » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:17 am

A couple of pictures of my first Gn15 models - a loco, wagon and coach.

After 34 years of modelling in 009 scale, it has been a bit of a learning curve, mainly grasping with the new scale. A friend of mine said that if I was sliced in pieces, I would have “009” written all the way through me. What started it all? ….. I saw a picture of the Smallbrook Harlequin loco in the Railway Modeller and just had to have one.

I have always modelled steam locos, so at the moment I am relying on Smallbrook locos to start with. I find them enjoyable to build, apart from the problem of getting the boiler to fit on the footplate with the chassis attached. I had to bore out the boiler so that it cleared the motor. The name and number plates were from Narrow Planet, and I don't want to attempt lining the loco, it's always gone wrong for me! The wagon was easy to build, but the coach was a different matter. I could find no suitable kit for my new fictitious railway, so I scratch built this one, a prototype for the line.

I had been building many 4mm scale buildings using the Wills sheets, they were quite strong and if cut accurately I thought they could produce a coach body. So I used Tongue & Groove Boarding and Sheet Roofing sheets along with plastruct angle, microstrip and plastiglaze to come up with this. It is mounted on a re-wheeled Lima PTA bogie wagon chassis. The roof is detachable to fit seated passengers inside at a later stage. I would use thicker glazing if I built another one.

I have always exhibited, so I am gathering various items and planning an exhibition layout. Meanwhile, I will build a small module to experiment with the materials and for photographing new stock etc., also a Columbine loco is under construction.
Last edited by Grum on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wenhaston
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways, real and modelled

Re: New Scale, new railway

Postby Wenhaston » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:36 am

I'm even less experienced than you! Did OO9 in my youth half a century ago, and retirement brought the desire to restart, but alas with poorer eyesight and less nimble fingers I had to give up. I'm doing better with O16.5 but still haven't got a layout yet!

I found this site and joined because we can all learn new tricks no matter the scale and anyway I find estate railways fascinating. Like you I've built Smallbrook kits but in 7mm scale. Yes they are good.

I gnot dipped a toe into this scale (yet) but I do find it intriguing.

What I want to say is I find your modelling superb and very exhibition-worthy. I shall be keeping an eye on progress...good luck!

Ken
I'm an O16.5er myself, but the more I look at this forum the more tempting a small O9 layout is!

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:03 pm

Welcome! that is very fine, clean work. Glad you have joined the Gnuthouse.
David (Doc)
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Carlo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: figures, microlayouts

Postby Carlo » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Beautiful, clean work!
I can't wait to see more.
Carlo

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:18 pm

I do love that coach! Ingenious use of the Wills sheets there, especially the board and batten roofing, certainly one to remember.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:59 am

Got me curious as to what prompted the thought about using thicker clear material on the coach next time.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:39 am

Really nice. Thanks for the pics. :D

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:35 am

Yes, the jump from 4mm to 1:24 was a bit of a shock, but I will grasp it. It is generally easier on my eyes, but I still find myself adding tiny amounts of detail.
I found that my new Slaters "Plastiglaze" material is thinner that it used to be, and when the coach is viewed from the ends you can see that it is bowing slightly. I needed something a bit thicker, more rigid really, any ideas? I read somewhere that CD cases can be used, I'll have to test that one.
I was working on the woodwork for the module yesterday. It will feature a workshop and engine shed scene, and will be ideal for trying scenic details in this scale and photographing rolling stock and locomotives.
Thanks for all your kind comments, I will gladly post further pictures and details of my models.
Graham

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 am

Again this forum software has not been talking to my computer properly. Lost last post again so posting again.

CD cases are OK but fragile to cut. Greenhouse plastic glass used to be stryene so was good for bigger scales. Build a basic structure from it then add overlays of plastic or print off design on computer. I used A4 sized shipping label paper. Sealing the ink and making it UV proof is the downside, but inks are better now. Off-cuts of plastic glass used to easy to get, but not so easy now. It is not cheap to buy in large pieces in DIY stores.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:04 pm

I can recommend Vivak, made by BAYER. I comes in various thicknesses.Try a better Hobby Shop or Ebay.

Build my Rail Taxi with it some years ago. http://gn15.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9071

CD cases are very brittle and the clear plastik goes blind very soon.

To seal ink prints, use a suitable primer / varnish which does not dissolve the ink.
Or go to the next print shop and have your designs printed on a laser-printer.

BTW, a very fine train in this thread.

Have Fun

Juergen

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:54 am

I will look out and try to get some of that Vivak, it looks as though it will be useful.
Below is a photo of my second Smallbrook loco "Jiro" with new coach and various wagons under construction in what will become the workshop area of a trial module for Gn15.

I was pretty pleased with the loco considering I built it while "high" on drugs. I have a nasty nerve problem that has re-occurred recently and I had to put myself back on the tablets to help.
I bought some second hand wagons that have Kadee couplings attached and I am really impressed with them. In my own little world it's the first time I have had the chance to test them myself, they deal with 10" radius curves (the radius on my test track) easily. I now have to come to a final decision about which couplings to use.
Last edited by Grum on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Willow Creek Traction
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: HO, On30, G/Hn15, regular G, kites, model rockets, the occasional model boat, retro sci-fi miniatures game.

Postby Willow Creek Traction » Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:45 pm

Modeling while on certain medications is a challenge at times, let alone the challenges caused by what the medications are for! But hey, it looks like it came out well.
My hands have been troublesome lately, so little modeling here; and too much typing too because of not modeling - not the smartest thing I've ever done!
Actually, in several forums lately a number of folks are going through health challenges. Blessing and healing to all y'all, all of us.
later, Forrest Today's scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality. -- Nikola Tesla, July, 1934

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:45 pm

Hi guys,

I've just removed a couple of comments. Let's be kind to each other please.

By all means bend my ear with a PM if there is something you're unhappy about.

Cheers,

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 am

Very impressive work Grum! :D
Looks like you use a couple of different coupling types. Can you please tell me what you use?
cheers
Geoff Potter
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Yes Geoff,
The first stock I built was mostly already fitted with the OO scale tension lock NEM couplers, they are smaller and neater than the older style. I tested them regarding coupling heights etc and on curves, and found them OK but the hooks kept falling off, they also drooped down a bit, being quite loose. Then a friend sold me the remaining Gn15 stock that he had which included many wagons fitted with Kadee HO scale No.5 couplings, also some spare couplings, a height gauge and an assembly jig. I have been having a look at them in the last few days trying to decide which to use, as I notice they are set higher than tension lock couplers. And today was judgement day, because in the box he gave me I found three Kadee No.18 HO NEM couplings, so I tried them in the pockets, and hey presto! they are now the same height as those previously fitted on his wagons. So, I ordered some more No.18's on line today, and intend to change my first vehicles with the NEM pockets to Kadee's.
I'm sure there are some in-depth threads about couplers on the GnATTERbox but I haven't had much time to spend on the computer recently, hence my delay in replying, sorry.
Graham

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:14 am

Very Gneat Graham 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:04 am

on subject of couplings, there are now more problems than in the good old days of Triang(Hornby) metal ones. I prefer function to looks, and if there was any problem with height then it as easy to bend the coupling , and the hook would not drop off either. I tested couplings when I built my first Gn15 layout, and found the continental style ones were more reliable, but it did sometimes depend which loop was on top.
On talking to one well known modeller at an exhibition this year, noticing his layout was using Kadees, and I asked why when the blade of grass uncoupling system he had developed for OO and HO traditional couplings worked fine, and he said that he was having some problems with the Kadees and sort of preferred the old couplings which could cope with slight variations in height. Only problem was then having to have wagons and locos set in right direction as only one end would have loop or hook on coupling. In fact I think it is more flexible with continental style couplings as the loco only requires a small hook, which could just be a piece of bent wire. Only need to be careful when you want to uncouple wagon to wagon. I just wish all OO r2r came with NEM pockets so i could replace the OO coupling with an HO one.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:08 am

This is a photo of the workshop under construction on my "test" layout "Longstone Shed", my first Gn15 attempt. Roof, gutters and down pipes still to be added. I decided to use an mdf shell with a Slaters Plasticard 7mm Coarse Stone covering, windows are from a set of Piko plastic mouldings. The Slaters coarse stones are quite pronounced so I had to fill the gaps on some edges, but they were just the style of stones I was trying to get, and I will have to buy some more. I still shy-away from brick papers after my earlier attempts in 009 using papers and card looked dreadful, and prefer to model in plastic. It's funny how during your years of modelling you develop preferences for certain materials and paints.

Same too goes for painting figures.

These are my first four 1:24 figures. My own way of painting these is too cover the entire figures in dark grey matt (Humbrol No.66), I prefer not to use black as an under brush, I think it is too harsh. The colours are "wet-dry brushed" on, if that makes any sense, (not fully dry-brushed) I wipe some of the paint off my brush onto a rag then paint whats left onto the figure, including the face, leaving some of the dark grey to form shadows and creases in the skin and clothes. The eye sockets are virtually left alone leaving grey shadows except I try to add a little gloss black dots for the pupils. That is about the extent of my skillfulness! I have to tackle a lady figure next.
I hope you don't mind my mundane additions to Gnatterbox and that at least some of you find some things interesting. I may have to leave my modelling for a week or two as life's more mundane matters have to be dealt with.
Last edited by Grum on Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Some really neat modelling going on there Graham. The figures look splendid, I will be trying out your method on the next ones I do.

Steve
Factory layout photo gallery (OneDrive) : https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alkt3t-N6ZhsiwFhr3gfMaH2cr17

Return to “Modelling Matters”