Factory Layout v2

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Factory Layout v2

Postby Steve Welch » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:26 pm

Afternoon all,

It has been a while since I was here last although I did drop by every so often so see what was going on. It seems that once you have dabbled in Gn15 it is difficult to get it out of your system! After various forays into OO gauge & American HO I'm back into Gn15. I'm doing a version 2 of a layout I had a while back, the "Factory Layout" (was it really 9 years ago....). For the interested the link to the old layout is here: (viewtopic.php?t=2764) . Same principle but a bit longer. It portrays the inside of a factory and currently the plan is to have a working hopper as before. Size is roughly 48" x 12" with a couple of fiddle sticks either side.

It is early days yet but the following pics show the progress so far (hopefully..)

and sum total of the rolling stock so far:

It feels good to be back.

best regards
Steve
Factory layout photo gallery (OneDrive) : https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alkt3t-N6ZhsiwFhr3gfMaH2cr17

Bilco
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Re: Factory Layout v2

Postby Bilco » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:59 pm

Welcome back, Steve! I remember being very impressed with your original layout, and I'm looking forward to seeing this one develop.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:30 am

Did you scratch build those neat ore cars?
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Wow,

I love those ore cars!
Very effective!
cheers
Geoff :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks guys,

Yes the ore cars are scratch built. I originally intended them to be a stop gap just to have something to test the track out with but they turned out better than I thought they would. All they are basically is an HO freight car bogie fitted with 12mm wheels (Hornby in this case) with a simple frame fixed on top. The axle boxes, for want of a better description, are taken from the bits box and are part of the suspension on a 1/35 tank. The ore car body itself is just a simple box with rivet detail added. The couplings are wheels from the same tank kit split in half with a pin inserted fixed to the frame.

all the best
Steve
Factory layout photo gallery (OneDrive) : https://1drv.ms/f/s!Alkt3t-N6ZhsiwFhr3gfMaH2cr17

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 pm

Wonderful work. Can't wait for the next step !

Nevadablue
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: model trains, model steam
Gn15, G, 1:24ish people and scenery

Postby Nevadablue » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:09 am

Good stuff, thanks for showing it to us. Love the ore cars... :D
Ken

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:06 pm

Made a bit more progress on the roof by making a start on the roof trusses. I will stain the trusses once I have the final beams in place. I will also add gusset plates in the appropriate places as well.

Steve

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:34 pm

It definitely has that "factory" look. Quite neat!
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Two things to say. "Wow" and "Wow".
:D :D :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:35 pm

I assume the bricks are printed not textured.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:24 pm

Evening all,

Quick update for tonight, managed to get the centre beams in place and a thin black wash applied. I'm reasonably satisfied with the resulting colour - we'll see what it is like tomorrow when fully dry. Need to work on the gusset plates next.

Simon : Yes the bricks are printed.

bye for now

Steve

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:16 pm

the bricks do look effective.As people might know I am not a fan of printed bricks though, but these are sort of in the backgroundso I can accept that if there is something in front of them(ie machinery).
Only other thing is, and this does sound like rivet counting is that the bond is stretcher bond, so assume it is meant to be relatively modern, as I would expect it to be a bond with headers showing(eg English bond or Flemish bond) on an older building.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:30 pm

Evening Simon, you are quite correct the normal brick bond for industrial buildings would be an English or Flemish bond and I would normally have picked one of these for use on this layout. I do however have a couple of reference photos showing the use of a stretcher bond in a disused (so presumeably old..) factory and as I already had the printed sheets it seemed silly not to use them. I hoping that the walls won't be that noticeable anyway to be honest, they are really just the equivalent of a backdrop on a normal layout. I'm planning a lighting system to try and get the 'light beams through the windows' look. We'll see if it pans out.......

Thanks for the heads up though - it is good to get the opinion of others.

all the best
Steve

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:06 am

Steve, if you have found a building which uses stretcher bond then that is OK. It probably has some type of metal framing, with the bricks just filling the gaps. Some WW2 military ones done that way, but if the brickwork needed to be strong then it would need the cross bonding. War ime signal boxes used bothFlemish and Englisgbond, but also included a lot of exta reinforcement, which has made many virtually impossible to demolish.
Stretcher bond came in with cavity walls, and up in Lancashire, you can see it around in houses, with brick taking over from stone from about 1900. Industrial and railway buildings were more traditional,and there was less need for the cavity. Still not sure if it was introduced to keep buildings warmer, or just because they were quicker to build. Might have been tried out for industrial buildings, but I have not come across any.

There are some military depots not far from you Steve. I have travelled along the main north/south road and at Oswestry there are two ungated level crossings . The buildings from those depots would be worthchecking out, assuming you are allowed.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:38 am

Thanks for the info Simon, I'll look into the depots you mentioned and have a nose around if possible/allowable.

best rgds
Steve

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:09 am

A further quick update on the factory layout - gusset plates fitted to the roof beams, they should look OK with a bit of weathering.

Also made a start on the one and only (for now anyway..) loco. Going for a battery loco style this time as I think it would be more appropriate for use inside enclosed spaces. Still at early stages yet but the pics should show the gist of it.

I'm not sure the driver figure will be used - it is a much butchered 1/24 Airfix pilot from either a Hurricane or Spitfire. He doesn't look convincing as yet...

best regards
Steve

Sooty
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Gn15 Emmett style garden railway. Model garden railways in general.

Postby Sooty » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:20 pm

Looking atmospheric already whether the brickie laid his bricks upside down or not :lol:
I have 30 minute epoxy and I know how to use it.

DCRFAN 3
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:17 pm

Steve Welch wrote:I'm not sure the driver figure will be used - it is a much butchered 1/24 Airfix pilot from either a Hurricane or Spitfire. He doesn't look convincing as yet...

Biggles is now driving factory locos :shock: How the mighty have fallen :wink:

The progress on the factory is looking great

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:40 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Latest on the loco. Basic paint scheme applied. Should have mentioned earlier that it is based on the Hornby 0-4-0 'Smokey Joe' chassis. Not a bad runner with the extra weight stuffed into the bodywork and a feedback controller even if it does sound like an angry dog when running at a crawl. I may try to find a smoother power unit at some point.

On other matters I have just removed the Peco small 'Y' point that I used for the siding as I could not get the loco to traverse it without stalling 50% of the time. Not sure why, it was perfectly flat and as the loco ran across the other 'normal' point without issue it must have been the Y point. From the looks of it it doesn't look like a true electrofrog as there is an insulated section in the frog even though it is marketed as an electrofrog. Either way I won't be using one again...

best rgds
Steve

Les
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway and warship modelling, gardening DIY, history

Postby Les » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Brilliant atmosphere you've captured! Exactly like being in a large building. You're tempting me back into GN15 after a long absence too....
Les

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks for the feedback Les - I don't think you truly leave Gn15 behind once it has got under your skin.....

Latest developments on the layout: Applied the wasp front end to the loco, didn't come out too badly with just a bit of touching up to sort out. I've ordered an SLM figure to replace 'Biggles' as he isn't shaping up as well as I thought - he might be relegated to an office somewhere.

Also constructed the elevated 'control room.' which will be situated at second floor level above the hole in the wall in the above pic, essentially acting as a view block. This will be accessed via a catwalk and stairways. It is simply a basic box with the appropriate holes for windows and doors:

To this basic shell I added coffee stirrers to give the impression of planking.

After painting the interior was decked out using textures from the internet printed out onto matte ink jet paper.

Windows were then printed onto A4 labels on a laser, stuck to clear plastic and the panes cut out and peeled off. The frames were then drawn over with a Sharpie to hid the edges and ensure they are opaque.

Just need to weather the outside and make a start on the interior bits and bobs. I'll need to add a light too.

That's it for now.....

best regards
Steve

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:52 am

Looking great Steve. I am watching your build with great interest,
cheers
Geoff

Geoff

Montignac
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Montignac » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:30 am

Nice work. Can't wait for the next pics.

Steve Welch
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Steve Welch » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:50 pm

Evening all, thanks for the comments guys, appreciate it.

Just quick update as I've managed to get some more work done on the elevated cabin and started to add some detail.

And a general view showing how it will be positioned on the layout:

Needs to be weathered a bit now but I think I'll do that once I have the stairway and walkway in place.

bye for now

Steve

Return to “Modelling Matters”