Backdrops

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Maniwaki
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge trains.

Backdrops

Postby Maniwaki » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:41 pm

Hello there,
Another newbie question: How do you make your backdrops ? Thanks for all your replies.
Have a nice day,
Chris

Wenhaston
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways, real and modelled

Re: Backdrops

Postby Wenhaston » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:31 am

I made my own using a good quality digital SLR. I selected the best quality setting I could on the camera. At the time I wanted rural scenes. I chose a day where the sky was blue but had some fluffy white clouds and headed out into the country to give it a try. It took a couple of trips to get what I was looking for. After the first expedition I realised that I had to be careful with the foreground as well as exclude 'modern' features such as phone masts etc.

I also tried to get a run of shots that would patch together to give a long run. These were printed off on A4 paper - choose a good quality one - on a HP Photo Quality printer. They were carefully pasted with PVA to the back board.

I sold the layout later on and unfortunately don't have any photographs of it, nor have I kept the camera images I used either.

Ken
I'm an O16.5er myself, but the more I look at this forum the more tempting a small O9 layout is!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:42 am

If you are printing, then it does need to be a good one. I have seen too many faded backgrounds and it is often the blue that goes first. I remember someone printing an outine of photo/background, which was used as guide line to painting. I personally prefer backgrounds that are less detailed, so they don't crowd out the foreground.
There is also a lot being done with perspective 3D , reducing size of buildings as you get further away.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:19 am

It is very difficult, almost impossible, to give a suitable answer to the backdrop question, if one does not know, what Chris is looking for or aiming at.

Scale, seize, time, landscape, foreign or local........Since he asked at a Gn15 forum, I assume he plans something in that scale.
A good start is the Virtual Exibition in this forum: http://gn15.info/forum/viewforum.php?f=16 Quite many solutions for making of backdrops.

Try the search function of this forum. There are 263 matches for "Backdrop"http://gn15.info/forum/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keywords=backdrop&start=250

Prints in A 4 might be a bit small for a Gn15 backdrop. Simply have your larger prints made at the next laser-print-shop. They even make banners for you.

Some Ink prints on paper in deed seem to fade in course of time of not treated with a suitable varnish. Ask at the next artist´s supply shop.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:30 am

I think Chris is just asking for any ideas. Sometimes when you know the options it can change the way you plan the rest of the layout. There has been a lot of discussion over the years, online and in magazines. A big subject, and often something thought about after everything else is planned.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Maniwaki
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Maniwaki » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 pm

rue_d_etropal wrote:I think Chris is just asking for any ideas.
You're absolutely right !
Thanks to all for your answers.
Have a nice day,
Chris

franckcombe
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: computer architecture train

Postby franckcombe » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:29 pm

For my part I buy image from https://www.dreamstime.com/ at 10 € per photo then I print it on posterxxl.com on photo paper mat and the result is top

I have done it 3 times on my previous layouts.

DieCastoms
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: I am 36. I've had some model trains all my life. I've rarely had a layout that worked reliably, due to the trains be second or third hand and poorly taken care of. I am now working on building a small layout with some 1-32 scale on 45mm track for standard gauge, also some 19mm track from On3 for Maine Two-Foot gauge, and possibly also some 16.5 HO gauge just because I love so much of what I see on your site

Postby DieCastoms » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:47 pm

does anyone have an example of a layout that's "inside a mill/factory" so that the backdrop is merely the back wall of the factory?

I know it's not precisely in the context of this thread but OP didn't day what kind of backdrop he or she was looking for, and maybe my question well spark ideas for him or someone else.

As I've only JUST built my first Gn15 loco and have nothing but a blank 4 x 7 HO layout to run it on, I still have no idea at all what my layout will be..
I've sorta been thinking about building mine inside a sewing machine case..

DC

DieCastoms
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: I am 36. I've had some model trains all my life. I've rarely had a layout that worked reliably, due to the trains be second or third hand and poorly taken care of. I am now working on building a small layout with some 1-32 scale on 45mm track for standard gauge, also some 19mm track from On3 for Maine Two-Foot gauge, and possibly also some 16.5 HO gauge just because I love so much of what I see on your site

Postby DieCastoms » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:36 pm

Holy crap, wow . . . .

I asked my 'factory' question above before reading this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10616

wow that is some phenomenal building!! I am both inspired, and discouraged .. :P

DC

Maniwaki
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Maniwaki » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:23 am

franckcombe wrote:For my part I buy image from https://www.dreamstime.com/ at 10 € per photo then I print it on posterxxl.com on photo paper mat and the result is top
I have done it 3 times on my previous layouts.

Good idea. Thanks Franck.
Have a nice day,
Chris

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways/Modelling

Postby Mike Lee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:06 pm

Chris
Iam not sure how to post a link to a previous topic, but if you go to the 'Size Doesn't Matter' section, Mon Sept 20, 2014, Emley-Sous-Bois there are some photo's of my layout. The background was made all on A4 sheets of paper printed off by myself. A basic description is:

The main backscene is 3-D effect, built ‘decoupage’ style. Layer1 is the sky, which is blue emulsion painted directly onto a sheet of 5mm plywood. Layer 2 is the hills, these were scenes downloaded from the ‘Google Street View’ website, by ‘driving’ along the road ‘Route du Feu de la Calanque de Sormiou’ in the ‘Les Calaques de Marseille a Cassis’. The views were printed onto A4 paper which was cut to the required shape and size by trimming around rocks, bushes and different ground cover areas and knitting them together so that there was no obvious straight join line. Layer 3 is the rooftops, these were taken from the ‘Google Images’ website to obtain the correct style of roof-top for the South of France. These were modified where necessary using Microsoft Paint & Microsoft Photo Editor to remove any unwanted details, then cut to the required size by trimming around buildings and roof sections so as not to have an obvious straight join lines. These were mounted on 6mm foam board to space them from layer 2. Layer 4 is the trees, this is a mixture of foam mating and foam scatters over tree shaped card formers. These were mounted 20mm in front of layer 3. Layer 5 is the concrete wall, these images were taken from the CG Textures website, printed onto paper and glued to foamboard.
Each layer was printed onto normal 100g/m² paper, after trimming it was coated on the back with PVA, and pasted onto the backboard. It was then rolled with hand roller to dispel any air or lumps of thick PVA, wiped over with a damp cloth, covered with cling film and then weighted down with heavy books and left to dry. It was then protected by a layer of ‘Wilco’ quick dry satin varnish, which was left to dry before the next layer was added.

Hope this helps. (The layout has moved on a lot since the photo's were added)
Mike Lee

You should always go to the last one first!
You should cross all your bridges before you come to them!
Life is too short for counting rivets!
What happened to things that you dropped before Newton discovered Gravity?

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Mike Lee » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:12 pm

Chris

Should have said, if you go to Google Images, type in Emley-sous-Bois, there are some images there that show the layout better and in the almost finished state.
Mike Lee

Maniwaki
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Maniwaki » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 am

Hello Mike,
thanks for your replies. They are very helpful.

Emley-Sous-Bois
Have a nice day,
Chris

Mike Lee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Mike Lee » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:36 pm

Chris

Just one further point. It is only the backscene that is done decopage style, i.e. 3D. The sides are just 100g/m² paper layers, one on top of the other. The hills layer pasted directly onto the painted sky, then the rooftops pasted directly onto the hills, then the tree layer pasted directly onto the rooftops and finally the concrete wall pasted directly onto the trees. Each layer is knitted to the next, and working from the back to the front. That way you will not see the edge of the paper! The exception being the trees layer, this is a mixture of foam mating and foam scatters directly onto the paper tree layer and also covering the top of the concrete wall, to give some form of relief.
Mike Lee

Return to “Modelling Matters”