I am nearing the end of the construction of "Longstone Mainteneance Shed" now, just a few workshop details to add. My mind is drifting onto plans for an exhibition layout.
I have added a few items since my last post, one of which is a water column made out of aluminium tube, copper wire and a brass etch for a water valve tap.Here is "Proteus" collecting water before the days work.
I also attempted a tree.
I started off with a dried twig from the garden about 15mm - 20mm diameter, and drilled holes up the trunk to accept Woodland Scenics sprues, these were glued in with epoxy resin. A thick wire was drilled into the bottom of the trunk to fix the tree to the baseboard. The whole was dry-brushed with Humbrol light grey matt.
Woodland Scenics clump foliage was glued to the branches with Uhu, and onto this some MP Scenery Medium Green Leaf Foliage was glued on with a 50/50 mix of pva and water.
It is slightly under scale, but as this is my first attempt, and it suits the small baseboard, it's a start.
The original bogie coach I built was too big and seemed to dwarf all the other stock, so it was re-built 7mm lower and 4mm narrower. It was a task indeed, and warrants a new photograph!No.2 "Jiro" hauls the re-built coach out of the shed.
Meanwhile a new 4-wheeled coach is under construction:
Made the same way using Wills 4mm Tongue & Groove and also Sheet & Batten Roofing, and plastic strip on a Dapol Wagon chassis. Here is the ghostly white coach in the workshop.
A few other photos I took today:"Jiro" passes the engineers office, the new tree is in situ, and flowers and other foliage has been made by my wife."Proteus" arrives with a train of bulkhead flats, two of which are new along with another new three-plank wagon by Shapeways near the shed."Jiro" arriving at the water column.Both locos outside the shed. A third loco kit has now been purchased."Jiro" shuffling a wagon and the new 4w coach.Workshop stuff.Activity outside the workshop.
I have a plan now to do the exhibition layout, just a few final measurements to calculate and adjustments to make, then I can get on with the baseboards.