Because of THIS site, here's my FIRST Scratchbuild.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

DieCastoms
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: I am 36. I've had some model trains all my life. I've rarely had a layout that worked reliably, due to the trains be second or third hand and poorly taken care of. I am now working on building a small layout with some 1-32 scale on 45mm track for standard gauge, also some 19mm track from On3 for Maine Two-Foot gauge, and possibly also some 16.5 HO gauge just because I love so much of what I see on your site

Because of THIS site, here's my FIRST Scratchbuild.

Postby DieCastoms » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:48 am

Thank you for adding me to this group! I've lurked a few days but information I have gleaned from your posts has kept me inspired and ambitioned to do a little work on my trains.

How is this for my FIRST scratchbuild attempt!!!

this is made 100% from "Bass wood" from a craft store. I printed out a freebie model I found somewhere and have been pasting the pieces from the printout onto the wood to use as 'blueprints' and patterns to cut.

(The cab is still printer-paper so I could take the picture, tonight, I will work more on it tomorrow)

Edit: I forgot to say, this is built around an HO scale "Mechano" pancake motor, because it is what I had. The power truck in that loco did not have pickups, it had plastic wheels with rubber tires that have long-since made their exit from this world.. I pulled the brass wheels off the axles from the pick-up bogie to replace the plastic wheels on the motor bogie. It will probably run on some watch batteries or something for now, till I get some sort of deadrail control added to it.

"DieCastoms," "DC," or just Mike.

Maniwaki
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow gauge trains.

Re: Because of THIS site, here's my FIRST Scratchbuild.

Postby Maniwaki » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:36 am

Hello Mike,
Nice start. Can't wait for the next step ! :D
Have a nice day,
Chris

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Looks like you are off to a great start. Welcome to the Gnuthouse.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

DieCastoms
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: I am 36. I've had some model trains all my life. I've rarely had a layout that worked reliably, due to the trains be second or third hand and poorly taken care of. I am now working on building a small layout with some 1-32 scale on 45mm track for standard gauge, also some 19mm track from On3 for Maine Two-Foot gauge, and possibly also some 16.5 HO gauge just because I love so much of what I see on your site

Postby DieCastoms » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Maniwaki wrote:Hello Mike,
Nice start. Can't wait for the next step ! :D

Neither can I! :-0

lesmond
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:30 pm

Nice job - looking forward to progress on this.

Welcome to the fun factory :D :D :D

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “Modelling Matters”