Longstone 2

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Re: Longstone 2

Postby Grum » Fri May 26, 2017 5:24 pm

Thank you all, I am enjoying Gn15 very much, and wifey is always willing to help. I am having a break from scenery construction, while I build a few items of rolling stock. Progress hasn't been very good this week as I've not been very well though. Blast!

Mark Goodwin
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Mark Goodwin » Sat May 27, 2017 2:31 am

Hi Graham,

I have only just stumbled across this delightful piece of modelling, what a great joy it is. The details is fantastic and I can't wait to see the "water under the bridge" - please excuse the pun!
Cheers,
Mark Goodwin

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Sat May 27, 2017 9:21 am

Thank you for your kind comments Mark, We are making all the main details first, ie: Track, Buildings, walls & fences, rocks & greenery. Figures, birds and one or two wild animals will be added last.
Animals have been acquired, but birds are a bit of a challenge, at least to obtain British birds. I have some Lemax birds but they will have to be carved to roughly the correct shape and then re-painted.
Cheers
Graham

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:19 am

Our third scenic baseboard, the "Mill" board, came out of the dark depths of the garage yesterday, to ponder the construction of the building itself which will go along much of the back of this board. I think I will make a cardboard mock-up as I did with the village scene. Underneath the board there is also a turnout motor to be installed too.
On a different note, I recently constructed four new wagons by Steve Bennett's Black Dog Mining, all run-of-the-mill stuff to many of you I suspect, but as I am new to the scale they are new stuff for me. They were sold to me along with some others by two friends, and I am enjoying making them.
Here are some photos below pictured on the Mill baseboard.

New Smallbrook loco "Delta" and four new wagons, van, tank wagon, and two bulkhead flats.

The van now fully weathered, and the tank wagon recently painted but as yet un-weathered. I choose to make it an oil wagon.
Last edited by Grum on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:04 pm

Steve Bennett makes great models. I wish we could get them again. Fine job, by the way.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Thank you Doc.
Apart from one or two of Steve's models I bought second hand and already half made, these are the first ones of his manufacture I have actually built, all my others have been Smallbrook, Shapeways or scratch built. I was very pleased to buy several of them off a good friend who is contemplating moving to a different scale, or not, as the case may be.

I am now becoming familiar with some of the regular contributors to the GnATTERbox. It's surprising how many modellers at exhibitions round here (East Anglia, UK) haven't even heard of Gn15 scale, probably because they are standard gauge modellers and nothing else seems to matter.

Question: I realise many people drift between scales, but, am I mistaken, or were there many more Gn15 modellers a few years ago?

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Hi Graham,

From small beginnings back in 2003 (which is when the Gnatterbox began, the scale started a bit before that) we grew modestly as a scale, but it has always been a warm, vibrant and friendly spot here on the Gnatterbox. As ever with forums there were more folk who would quietly do their own thing than posted, but that's fine, that's typical.

I don't know when we peaked number wise, but I'm more than a little sure that Steve Bennett's decision to step back from posting (and no, let's not dive back into the whys and wherefores behind that) a few years ago had an impact on the enthusiasm of the group.

And our sad loss of Gerry Bullock last year also made a difference.

A quick word about me: I've been around from the early days, I've never modelled in Gn15, preferring scales from 1/12 up to 12" to the foot, but I've always enjoyed the friendliness and I'm a big fan of minimum gauge and smaller, see my own Minimal stuff on Facebook, linked in my signature.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:20 pm

I don't think it's just Gnatterbox that has lost steam from the boiler, other large scale forums like SE lounge seem to have fewer posters too. Judging by forums for the smaller scales, most people still want lots of track for operation.

Still, there is a movement towards simplicity in model railways, for example Lance Mindheim. Maybe this will trickle down into the mainstream and lead to renewed interest in larger scales, where things are constrained by lack of space to be simple. I follow a blog by Mike Cougill that has interesting thoughts on why we model. See here: http://www.ostpubs.com/ost-blog/
Peter

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:36 am

Thank you for the information chaps.

Peter, I tried reading some of Mike Cougill's blog, but as I am on tablets at the moment they affect my concentration, and it's quite philosophical, I couldn't take it "in". I will try another day on that one!

To me, old and grumpy as I am, it seemed to be the same with the 009 modellers. There were a small number of superb modellers a few years ago who wrote about their layouts and inspired many people in a similar way. I suspect it is the same with several other scales.
I am lucky with Gn15 as I have a friend in Suffolk who has an encyclopaedic knowledge, and several layouts, I admire models of his every time I see him.

Perhaps this isn't the place in the index to get deeper into the subject, but it's nice to know.

Cheers
Graham

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:58 pm

Hi Grum, it's great there are people to inspire us. Though I now tend to be inspired as much by people like you posting on forums like this. And in retrospect I wonder if the superb modellers who wrote about their layouts did us a bit of a a disservice because they all held up the ideal of a big, expensive and time consuming layout. It took me a while to realise that this is not for me.

Yes, Mike's blog is philosophical and can be confusing. But what I take from it is that modelling can be a wider range of things than I previously imagined. I am happy now just making things to do with model railways. My goal is not to operate a layout, or even to have a layout that operates, but to enjoy myself.
Peter

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:47 am

And in retrospect I wonder if the superb modellers who wrote about their layouts did us a bit of a a disservice because they all held up the ideal of a big, expensive and time consuming layout

Seems none of the modellers listened to the advice from those experts. No big Gn15 layouts around in this forum. Mainly car boot seizes or Pizzas.

Have Fun

Juergen

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:38 am

PeterH wrote:....happy now just making things to do with model railways. My goal is not to operate a layout, or even to have a layout that operates, but to enjoy myself.

I've read this is the distinction between being a "model railroader" and "railroad modeler". the former seeking operation in a prototypical manner, and the latter, well, just "you".

prefer the latter myself. but let's not discourage more philosophical introspect in the name of Gnattering.

I mean, how many times can someone run a car & locomotive 4" (100 mm for the international community) back and forth before tiring of it and all the work it took to get there?

by the way, and no afterthought at all, exquisite train too!

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:21 am

As very much an armchair large scale admirer rather than modeller, I'm not qualified to get into the philosophy of it all, but would just add my comment that I think your latest efforts with the rolling stock look excellent and I for one look forward very much to an opportunity of seeing Longstone revealed "in the flesh" for real time enjoyment and admiration in the not too far distant future - maybe around May next year in a certain village hall gathering that we all love between Luton and Bedford? :D

Mick

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:41 pm

This is an attempt to create an image using the new mygninfo photo sharing and it may or may not work.

Charlie and Dave are are seen inside the maintenance shed restoring a couple of supposed ex-Decauville 4 wheeled coaches. I saw these on the Smallbrook site and just had to have a couple. They are shown as Decauville Inspection Coaches, but I immediately wanted them as passenger coaches. They were shortened in height by 10mm.

Hopefully, if this works I can start replacing some of the photographs that Photobucket no longer want to host.

Kerluk
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 & Gnine. What else ?

Postby Kerluk » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:09 pm

Works fine for me ! :D
You know what ? You're all better than me but I'll never give up ! :lol:
Chris

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 pm

Where did you cut to shorten those models, Grum? That seems like a great idea to get standard size small coaches. I may get some and make sides for them.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:52 pm

Those Smallbrook Decauville coaches look very convincing.
http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk/products-new/4569521214/gn15-decauville-inspection-coach/11151500

To lower the height, by shortening the windows, sounds like a very good idea.

Have Fun

Juergen

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:13 am

Hi all,
a bit more bashing and a suitable chassis could give you something self-propelled, like this 1920's-vintage Cane Inspector's car on "wide" gauge
http://www.ilrms.com.au/drewry_man_car.htm In the photo, the centre seat with the flip over back is missing while the unit was undergoing engine repairs.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

Yes, success! As I get time I can can start re-loading my photographs.

David, The Decauville coach was shortened by cutting directly under the top window rail, and also 10mm further down the window frames, then carefully gluing the uprights back into position. Job done. I suppose it's up to you though how much you want to take off the height.
Here is a photo of them so far, detailing still to do.
The coaches went together very easily, though you do have to sand off the meniscus from several large flat pieces of resin mouldings, the top of chassis, bottom of roof and the seat bottoms and backs. I would have no hesitation in getting one or two more of these quaint models.
You could make sides for them, but I think you would have to narrow the seats a little to fit the panels in, but I any case I think you would lose the nice end profiles of the seat sides.

But, hey-ho, we can do what we like John!

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 am

The smallbrook Decauvilles have a footprint of 75 x 50mm, so in real life, less than 4 x 6 feet to seat 4 passengers,
About the space you have in a touristplane. Maybe even less.

One has to spend quite a bit of effort and money to populate these waggons with passengers. One reason more, not to hide them with sidewalls.

Have Fun

Juergen

Return to “Modelling Matters”