Longstone 2

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Longstone 2

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:44 pm

Given your abilities with everything else I can’t exactly see people painting as being a problem.

Nice to get pretty much the ‘full effect’ seeing most of the layout in that first pic.

Cheers,

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:22 am

Thanks Chris (and Peter)
I hope to be able to post photos from our first exhibitions in a few weeks time, I will include the full layout from both sides. I'm not sure about lighting at the moment, and just want to concentrate on what I've got so far, as it's bigger than anything else I've have done before (surprise, surprise).
Graham

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:12 am

Looking fabulous, well done! :D :D :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:45 am

First exhibition with Longstone

We did our first exhibition with the layout yesterday at Dereham, in the Memorial Hall, it was very busy (as it always is there).

I managed to get a couple of photos in the afternoon when things went quiet:

The Mill side of the layout.

Village side

Apart from a bumpy and irritating baseboard track join and a couple of brain failures during the day everything went well, and my wife, who was very nervous (as was I) coped well too. Shunting in the mill yard also went OK, but I have to weight (or brake) some wagons to get better performance from the un-coupler.

New additions are a water column in the mill yard and two new vehicles, a Tamiya Morris Mini and a red Burago Land Rover heavily weathered (which looks enormous!), they can just be seen on the photos.

Another exhibition next week in Beccles, lets just hope the Siberian weather doesn't spoil things.

Graham

nu2ng
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Minimum Gauge, Industrial, Gn15

Postby nu2ng » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:20 pm

Looks fantastic Graham :)

Andi
Andi N

'Too many projects,
not enough time
and absolutely no money!!'

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:48 pm

Congrats on a successful exhibition, Graham. The layout looks great.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Hi Graham,

A thousand congrats on a delightful layout and successful show.

A thousand curses that I am not closer and thus able to come and enjoy it.

Cheers,

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Well done both of you, excellent! You are (almost) forgiven for changing scale!

I look forward to the opportunity to be able to see this superb looking layout and the stock, in the flesh.

Mick

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Congratulations on a successful show :D
"Because I Can"

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40 pm

Thanks to all.

Yes we are rather "out on a limb" here in the flat lands of Norfolk, but maybe the layout will get out and about before too long. We have already had several invites from Saturday's show around East Anglia for 2019, and have more dates now for 2018.

Two immediate benefits from operating "Longstone":-

1: When I was operating a 009 scale layout all day, I had VERY tired eyes afterwards, but not with this layout, thank goodness.

2: It is a good chance to promote Gn15, and many, many people asked us the scale (as they didn't print it in the exhibition programme!). Even the neighbouring layout's crew said they were very impressed and would like have a try in this scale.

I will get some handouts printed with The GnATTERbox forum web address and some useful manufacturers websites etc., to hand to interested people.
Along with Barry's layouts from Suffolk, who exhibits regularly, Gn15 should be recognised a bit around here.

By the way, there are hills in Norfolk, you just have to know where they are.

Graham

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:57 pm

It's the 10th year of Barry and I exhibiting Gn15 layouts in Norfolk. :shock:
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:17 am

It's good to hear from you again Jon.

10 years exhibiting now! It's a shame I didn't pay more attention to Gn15 a few years ago then, I could have learned a lot more!

I am always pleased to meet up with Barry, and hope to see you both at a show soon.

Graham

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Disappointment, as our second show with Longstone at BECCLES tomorrow March 3rd HAS BEEN POSTPONED due to the severe weather.

Three or four exhibits and two stalls have pulled out, some coming from the South coast. Can't blame them, we've had 7 inches of snow earlier in the week, then strong Siberian winds and drifting snow, we in Norfolk and Suffolk are not used to it. It is hoped to re-arrange the exhibition for later in the year.

So, I have been started to build a new vehicle.

Late last year I built this passenger/guards coach below mainly out of card.

But when I ran it last week on the layout it fouled the stone walls near the curves, so I had a look at it yesterday and although it is the same length as my other bogie vehicle, the bogies are set further apart, therefore it is cutting a larger chunk (or "chord") off the curves. Quite obvious really, but I never thought of this before. So, I have begun a new plastic-made version of the vehicle on the same type of chassis as the original bogie coach I made.

Photo shows, Body under construction, the Wills Tongue & Groove Boarding, and Sheet Roofing materials sheets, and a Lima PTA bogie wagon chassis with new Kadee couplings.

I hope to post some more pictures of it later as construction progresses.

Cheers for now.
Graham

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:47 pm

I have made progress on the new coach (No.11). Most of the body is completed and the interior is painted.

Meanwhile, another coach has grown!
Just as I reduced the size of my very first coach when I started modelling in Gn15, I have increased the height of one of the 4-wheelers.
The two 4w vehicles always looked too low when coupled next to other coaches, so I wondered if I could make them taller without too much re-building. I have increased one of them (No.15) in height by 5mm by carefully removing the ends, making new end panels, and adding a new decorated cant rail along the top of the sides.

Coach No.15 showing the bare new ends and cant rails.

Photo showing the original sized low coach No.14 and the re-built No.15 - 5mm taller.

No.15 now looks much better in size, so now to tackle coach No.14 in the same way.

.....I will get it right eventually.

Graham

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:46 pm

Very nice mods to coach 15, Graham - it looks much more in proportion, as well as decorative!I watch the progress of No 11 with great inerest ...
Bill

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:20 pm

The height increase suits it well.

About to commence my first coach build, so watching closely too :)

Les
"Because I Can"

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Thanks chaps.

Due to a wrist injury, coach building has been suspended for a while, only "light duties" for now ... boo!

But, I have a question for anyone that can help (and I'm sure someone can)

Can you tell me what make or manufacturer are these two wagons?

They were sold to me by a friend many months ago ready-made, so I never saw the packet they came in.

Thanks
Graham

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:19 pm

They look like Rockley Bottom resins to me.
Jon Randall

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:00 am

Thank you Jon.

I presume they are no longer in business?

Graham

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Jon Randall » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:41 pm

I'm afraid not. Those ones were probably made in GnOrfolk.
Jon Randall

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:16 am

The new vehicle is just about complete at last.

It only seats four people, or six elves, but is a useful dual-purpose bogie vehicle with a guards/small parcels compartment.
It's quite "boxy", but perhaps my skills will improve later when I might add a bit of flare to such coaches.
The roof is held on by "L" shaped brass pins in the coach ends, so I will be able to add passengers.

I want to add lamp tops to the coach roof's too, so I will have to find, or make, some suitable mouldings. Any ideas?

Graham

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:09 pm

hi Graham,

Lamp tops - I use size 00 dressmakers press studs (the male half of them) with a wire ring dropped over the stud part to disguise quite effectively the origin of a press stud. This is in 009 but there is no reason why this idea cant transfer itself to the larger scales - just use large press studs and suitably thicker wire rings!

Mick

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:33 am

Good idea Mick, I'll see what I can find.

Graham

Grum
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Grum » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:27 am

Feeling a bit battered and bruised at the moment after a little op. hey-ho, I've just realised this is my 100th post and just about 2 years since I joined the GnATTERbox. So, to celebrate, I am posting a few pictures of the Fox Gill area of the layout.

So, round the board we go:-

Loco No.1 "Proteus" with four wheeled coaches leaving the station.

No. 3 "Triton" rounding the curve to the bridge with raw wool. (I intend to make the wagons more fully loaded).

No. 2 "Jiro" crossing the bridge hauling a passenger train headed by a bogie coach. There is a dipper in the stream below.

"Delta" with goods train on the bridge.

"Proteus" with "Decauville" coaches rounding the curve in the cutting. My wife's scenic work is showing up well here.

"Jiro" with four-wheeler's at the same point in the cutting heading in the opposite direction now heading towards the mill. The sheep doesn't seem bothered by the passing of the train.

A goods train hauled by "Proteus" leaving the cutting late one evening. The badger (extreme left) is wary of the train coming.

Graham

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Bilco » Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:56 pm

Really lush greenery, Graham. Longstone obviously has a high rainfall!
Bill

Return to “Modelling Matters”