Longstone 2

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Longstone 2

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:10 pm

It's all developing very nicely indeed. I think one of the finest touches is the street merging into the backscene, with the depth of view that provides.

Cheers,

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:23 pm

Looking good :)

The backgrounds are adding depth as you said they would, Gnicely done :)

The only thing is VW Type 2's are all petrol and Gnot diesel....... :!:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:33 pm

That's looking very good, Grum. As Chris says, the street merging into the backscene is very effective, and the level of detail is perfect.
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/149926300@N07/albums

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:17 pm

Aha Barry, as I typed the word "diesel" I had doubts....but didn't check!
Instead of photographs for the back scene, I was after something "softer" (if that's the word). They were unmounted prints from Gatehouse Prints in Pickering, they sell many Northern England and Scottish images. It was a bit of a gamble picking the right size, but they could do me something bigger or smaller if required.

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:22 pm

That's lovely. Really enjoying your progress.

Les
"Because I Can"

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:04 pm

An achievement in the last week has been the building of a bridge to cross the stream on the newly named "Fox Gill" board.
I took a picture this afternoon, but it is washed-out by too much sunlight I think:-

The wing walls are made from scribed Das Clay, it's the first time I have ever used this, and it went quite well. It has been laid onto wet pva on 3mm mdf. I ended up with six sections, all painted first, then assembled to form two piers. I mounted 9.5mm Evergreen girders across the span then created a concrete base for the railings out of mdf and Slaters 7mm Pebble Walling, there is a railway river bridge near where I live which has the same system. The railings are by Lemax, with two sections carefully joined together on each side. The grey sections behind the bridge are the start of the rock faces for the side of the gill.

Scenic stuff to do next....
Last edited by Grum on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:03 pm

Very impressive!

Cheers.
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:05 pm

That is a lovely job. It looks like it ought to be there.

Les
"Because I Can"

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks very much Les and Don
Luckily the "concrete" bases gives the under scale Lemax railings a bit of height. The gorge rock faces are Heki Rock foil, the largest I could find on the Evergreen stand at EXpoNG.
We (my wife and I) have been working on the ground cover and other rock faces this afternoon using the same lightweight filler mix as we did on the maintenance shed diorama. I was rather miffed as she gets a much better appearance to the rocks than I can!
I will try to post a photo as soon as they are presentable (and that's if it all holds together).
Graham

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:00 pm

Quote: "I was rather miffed as she gets a much better appearance to the rocks than I can!"

You and me both :). Mine is now "scenic director"

Les
"Because I Can"

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 am

Shhh..Les, now she has seen this, she is expecting promotion!

Graham

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Sun May 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Progress at Longstone. Here is a quick snap of the passenger shelter on the scenic "end" board showing the other half of the platform. The shot was taken while we were working on the creation of the gorge behind, called "Fox Gill". It's such a simple building but it took an age to complete (partly because I wanted to model the wood weathered, and partly because I mucked the roof up and had to re-make some of it), it is made of a foamboard shell covered with coffee stirrers, with balsa corner uprights. The roof is 3mm mdf, this was covered with p.v.a. and tissue added for the roofing felt. The fence is being painted at the moment, that has to be weathered also.

The next shot shows "Triton" crossing the bridge.

My wife has been working on the stream (8 coats of varnish), rocks (cork pieces, painted), ferns and plants (allsorts).

Next is picture of "Proteus" rounding the bend in the rock cutting before crossing the bridge.
All the track on this board needs weathering and weeds to finish. On the higher areas my wife has been adding Heather in flower, one or two plants can be seen on the right. She cuts up small hedging strips (the Peco K&M ones), flattens them a bit, then adds 4mm purple flowers in different shades.
Last edited by Grum on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue May 16, 2017 8:22 am

Grum,
that is lovely work!
Jealous. :D
regards
Geoff
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Tue May 16, 2017 9:58 am

Very Gnice Graham, not as Gnice as Ellerbank but very Gnice!!!

I just picked up on the the well deserved "Scenic Director" promotion for your boss, I will try to remember that............., please pass on my felicitaions and congratulations, good to see you both at Barton Le Clay on Sunday following the true path, but I do have to acknowledge that this diversion is looking very good indeed!

Mick

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Tue May 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Thank you Geoff, the Fox Gill board is nearly complete. The Scenic Director (thank you Les) has been adding weeds to the track. I feel a bit grotty today with my nerve pain so haven't done much except add some adverts in the station area.
The S.D. has been working hard Mick, she should do with all the perks she gets. She has done a good job, trained by me (of course). I am enjoying my "heavy engineering" in 1:24 very much. Much of the time it really tests the brain cells, especially trying to fit things into a given area.
Anyway, it was good to see you to, keep up the good work.

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Tue May 23, 2017 4:50 pm

I have been having terrible trouble with Photobucket this afternoon, but eventually I got three photos uploaded. The one above (if it uploaded OK) is a photo of the other half of the passenger platform now with the passenger shelter in position, also showing a new kid on the block in the form of loco No.4 "Delta", another "Columbine". The fences around the platform and track are Lemax, and I am waiting for some benches to arrive.
Last edited by Grum on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Tue May 23, 2017 5:08 pm

This is a photo taken looking down the Gill. I think the small waterfall (made with clear bathroom sealer) needs enhancing down at the end at rock face. The stream was made with many layers of varnish. We have tried to purvey a damp hidden narrow rock ravine high up in the moorland, with ferns, mosses, broken rocks and overhanging branches.
Last edited by Grum on Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Boghopper
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railway modelling

Postby Boghopper » Wed May 24, 2017 9:18 am

I think that stream is ace. It really conveys a damp, fern-lading ravine, Well done!
Capability Chris

Creating beautiful gardens across the southeast
http://chrisodonoghue.co.uk
http://gdngrs.com Greenwich and District Narrow Gauge Railway Society
- visit http://expong.org Expo Narrow Gauge

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Wed May 24, 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks Chris, it's nice to hear from you. We are still struggling with the change of scale from 4mm to 1:24 (as you might expect), but it's getting there.
Much of the foliage and greenery is thanks to my wife, who gets stuck-in as soon as I've finished the track work. The foliage on this layout is based on high moorland (an excuse not to include large trees), she just ask's now and again whether things are big enough (or not) and I have to try and judge.
We are really enjoying it.

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm

More great stuff.
I think your wife should be giving a tutorial on those wonderful ferns and other plants in your stream, gill or beck!

Cheers.
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Grum » Thu May 25, 2017 8:34 am

Thanks Don, I think she's too shy for that unfortunately.

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Thu May 25, 2017 10:15 am

Looking very good Graham. Congratulations to Mrs Grum for the outstanding scenic work.

Mick

PeterH
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 pm

It's being great, following your progress, seeing your flat baseboards transform into village and highland. I look forward to what will come.
Peter

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Fri May 26, 2017 1:08 am

Looking good Grum and Mrs Grum 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Fri May 26, 2017 9:36 am

That ravine (and the rest) is fabulous. Promotion has agreed with her :)

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “Modelling Matters”