Diamond Plate

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

MrPlantpot
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: I likes anyfink wiv wheels, I duz. At the moment I am building a Narrow Gauge Layout, 1/32 scale on 16.5mm (0n16.5) track.

Diamond Plate

Postby MrPlantpot » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:24 pm

I've been to IKEA, and I've been shopping!

I did a quick search on here for Diamond Plate, and found 22 mentions of it, but no mention of this, so apologies if it has been shown before.
IKEA call it FINFÖRDELA. For just £1, yes, one Great British Pound Sterling, you get 2, count them, sheets of Diamond Plate, 28cm x 36cm, 11" x 14¼". These are turquoise/cyan, and dark grey(gray). They are sold as food chopping boards, and are a similar hard, but flexible material to 'Self Healing' cutting mats, and at that 'throwaway price, could be used as such if they fail as Diamond Plate :-) The diamonds are approximately 1mm x 2mm, on a 1.5mm x 3mm spacing. Boards are 1.2mm thick, smooth finish on the reverse side. The diamonds are raised from the surface, and I think this material might 'resist' resin, so could be used to take a mould (mold - for our friends in the U.S.) from.
Happy Modelling - oh, and a Happy New Year, too. :-)
My Mum calls me Steve.
1:32 on 16·5mm track. Gnot strictly minimum gauge... but it is the minimum that I'm working with !
And now... a critter in 1/24th... from scratch!

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Re: Diamond Plate

Postby docnjoj » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Cutting boards seem like a great place for a non skid surface. They may be that slippery stuff however, and that would resist glues of many types. Worth a test.
Welcome to the Gnuthouse.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Return to “Modelling Matters”