Gn15 work car

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Gn15 work car

Postby lesmond » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:48 pm

While have a rummage in a bits box I've had for 40 years or so, I found a Hornby four wheel carriage chassis which I'd sliced up dear knows how long ago. The buffers and coupling mounts are off, so I thought it would make a good basis for a mobile workbench / work car. I've nothing running in Gn15 at present, though hopefully it won't be too long, and have been very busy with other jobs (Project X, recorded elsewhere, and due out on show in April) so this is an interesting diversion.

The Hornby chassis as it comes is very light, so I cut some lead strip and glued it in place below floor level to add some low down weight.

The next job was to make the floor. I originally thought to plank it with weathered coffee stirrers, but that seemed a bit too much like hard work for a floor which will be covered in tools, bits of wood, rail etc, so I cut and scribed a piece of balsa to do the same job. Its in the gak tank (white vinegar / wire wool mixture, well fermented) overnight to weather.

The space at the side is the width of a coffee stirrer on its side, to make a one plank height side. The ends will be deeper to cover the plastic ends and allow coupler mounting.

Les
"Because I Can"

nu2ng
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Minimum Gauge, Industrial, Gn15

Re: Gn15 work car

Postby nu2ng » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi Les

Interested in the 'Gak Tank'.. Is it as simple as some wire wool in a jam jar with some vinegar (does it have to be white?) added?

Will follow this build with interest.

Cheers
Andi N

'Too many projects,
not enough time
and absolutely no money!!'

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Hi Andi,

The Gak tank is plastic lunch box with a quite tight fitting lid (handy to keep the smell in) with wire wool slowly dissolving in vinegar. I used white vinegar because I had a litre of it, but according to a brief google search more or less any sort will do. Mine looks like this:

and gets topped up every now and again with both wire wool and vinegar. It develops a very thin crust when all the wire wool is dissolved.

There's a really good Instructable here:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Steel-W ... ingWeathe/

I like it in that no two pieces of wood come out quite the same, which (I think, anyway) looks well.

This is a before and after of a coffee stirrer:

Les
"Because I Can"

nu2ng
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge, Minimum Gauge, Industrial, Gn15

Postby nu2ng » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for that Les :)
Andi N

'Too many projects,
not enough time
and absolutely no money!!'

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:00 pm

Some progress has been made, the floor, sides and ends are now in place.

Here it is with a Pepper 7 wagon for size comparison:

The back right side piece is too short, so there is going to be a repair panel added from a cut up tea light to disguise this.

I've given the rest a lot of thought. The original plan was to add a roof - the one from the Airfix OO Dockside Crane has a nice corrugated iron roof that would do the job well with a little modification, but it looks totally out of proportion given that it needs to be a scale 6' 6" (3 1/2 real inches) above the deck of the car so that railway staff don't hit their heads. I've put the roof away for a future project.

I'm going to add a vertical piece at the right hand end with a small workbench attached, suitably braced and supported, with some hand tools on it, and the usual tat under it which you would find under most benches. There is a 1:24 bench vise which (if I can find it for the right price) will go on the end of the bench. The other end will have a folded tarpaulin with a brick on top, odds and ends of timber, metal, rope and anything else I can think of to put on it to give the look of a working, used vehicle.

It also needs a step for the workers to climb up on to it with, this will probably be a bent piece of brass wire fitted to the solebar.

I've ordered link and pin couplers from our very own Teebee via Shapeways.

I'm also of the opinion that the overall colour of the wood is too uniform, as well as a very obvious black plastic chassis and shiny metal wheels, so some subtle weathering will be in order before too much detail goes on. This is a new thing for me, so the learning curve will be steep :)

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “Modelling Matters”