Size of layouts

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Size of layouts

Postby Grum » Sun May 14, 2017 9:55 pm

I am looking forward to seeing Mark Goodwin's "The Much Knattering & Far Twaddle Light Railway" develop, but I noticed Mark Goodwin's comment in that he thought it was "big for these pages". I am modelling a layout of a similar size, and although I have only been a member for a year, I know of no rules or guidelines as to a maximum size of layout that can be featured or discussed on The GnATTERbox. Can anybody enlighten me?

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Re: Size of layouts

Postby PeterH » Mon May 15, 2017 4:20 am

Hi Grum,

That was my comment that it was big for these pages. It was admiration rather than to imply that it was too big for gnatterbox. My layouts have been tiny, and I respect modellers that build larger layouts. I look forward to reading about your layout here.
Peter

John New
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: railways large and small.

Postby John New » Mon May 15, 2017 8:12 am

Size is about what you have the space and time to model. The commonality here seems to be for smaller layouts but I have never seen any guidelines on that. I'm guessing that minimum gauge (indoors) appeals for the ability to have tight curves when you only have a small space available. Many NG modellers go for big layouts but place them outdoors as garden layouts.
John
http://www.stephensonloco.org.uk | http://www.yorkshow.org.uk | http://www.island-publishing.co.uk

Remembering it’s a hobby and I am allowed to smile!

Grum
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Building and running exhibition layouts now in Gn15, previously in 009 scale narrow gauge for 34 years. I like steam locos and like to achieve a degree of realism. I am also interested in motor buses from 1945 to 1969.

Postby Grum » Mon May 15, 2017 9:43 am

Aha..... Peter H, I got my names muddled up, my apologies. I had been exhibiting all day, and drove 200 miles so was a bit tired and brain dead!
Thank you for your further comments about large layouts.
As I changed straight from 009 scale exhibition layouts to Gn15, my layout designs and the stock I wanted to run necessitated a larger layout, so that's how it came about.
Thanks.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu May 18, 2017 5:54 am

There's definitely no limit, guideline or rule about the size of layout that can appear in the Gnatterbox.

It's an interesting thought that, very often we build smallish layouts, considering G (in what ever flavour pleases you) is a relatively large modelling scale. Pondering it I wondered if it was at all because to look 'right' it demands more detailing of models, which in turn requires more time for a given chunk of space?

Cheers,

DCRFAN 3
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby DCRFAN 3 » Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 am

Perhaps we realise our tiny steam and internal combustion locos would not have the capacity to travel long distances due to limited bunker/fuel tank size :D

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Sat May 20, 2017 10:59 am

to quote a popular cigarette ad of days gone by: "it's not how long you make it, but how you make it long"

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat May 20, 2017 5:41 pm

I tend to go by what will fit the scheme I have in mind, what timber I have available, and what will fit into my car / van if it needs to go anywhere.

Smallest so far is 13 1/2" x 23 1/2", biggest (about to be started) is 8' 4" x 22" in three sections.

Les
"Because I Can"

Return to “Modelling Matters”