Sourcing Gn loco

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Jonty
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Anything to do with industrial loco's

Sourcing Gn loco

Postby Jonty » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi all I'm new here and new to Gn15 scale. With having to retire through health problems I thought it was time to get into model industrial loco's and I love the Gn15 scale.
I've tried to source the mouldings without luck. I've found the power bogies,no problems.
Any help in pointing me to the right direction will be greatly accepted.
First posting so hope I've done the right thing first by posting here.
Jonty

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Re: Sourcing Gn loco

Postby PeterH » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm

Hi Jonty, welcome aboard. By mouldings, do you mean the loco bodies? A lot of people on this forum have made the bodies from cardboard or plastic. Have a look in the gnatterbox forum index at 'The loco shed', there is inspiration there. Steve Bennet/pepper 7 has sold nice loco bodies in the past, but recently has personal problems and supply is erratic.
Peter

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:45 am

Hi Jonty,

There's our very own Tebee (who runs the dirty oily internet bits that power the Gnatterbox) who's Shapeway print stuff can be found here

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tebee?section=Gn15&s=0

and there's also Small Brook Studio

http://www.smallbrookstudio.co.uk

As a side note I may move this thread (yes, I'm a dreaded moderator) but I'll leave it for a bit to help you get settled in. Expect to see it in Trade Tittle Tattle in due course. :D

Cheers,

Jonty
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Jonty » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi guys,
A big thank you for your advice and input I really do appreciate it.
It looks like I'm going to have to attempt to build one out of plasticard. I knew I should have started building sooner when i had steady hands as I'm now suffering with tremours. It's deffinatly going to be fun and games. I had better make sure I go steady with the Stanley knife I guess. If I end up with an half decent loco I'll mail pics. Thanks again
Jonty

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi Jonty,

Welcome to the Gnatterbox and to Gn15. You'll love it here :)

I've cast about for too many years looking for a scale to call "home" and Gn15 / G9 is it. Hopefully you will find the same thing.

Please post photos of anything you make, we love photos :). Also please don't be disheartened if things don't work first time, there's always room for a scrap pile somewhere in the corner of a layout (in my case an entire rail served scrap yard), learn from it and try again.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make.

Les
Last edited by lesmond on Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Because I Can"

Jonty
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Jonty » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:30 pm

Hi Les,
Thanks for advice and I think I'm going to enjoy the journey, good or bad. I'm old enough to know that mistakes are valuable because without these we would not learn. I will take pics of what I do and it's a good record of my venture I guess. Also I forgot to say sorry to the moderator for posting here and I'll try not to do it again and I think it was me being very eager.
Jonty

Return to “Modelling Matters”