Kelly Country: Australian folklore and Gn15

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: On15, On30, 9mm NG, Gn15

Kelly Country: Australian folklore and Gn15

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:01 am

Hi folks,
a discussion with a my friend Guy the other day over Beer and Fish and Chips progressed from a discussion of Emmet style Gn15 to developing an Australian-flavoured layout. Various themes were tossed around, and then my friend mentioned Ned Kelly, Australian Bushranger.

For those overseas who may not of heard of Ned, he is a character who looms very large in Australian folklore. Following a short career in bushranging (highwayman) in which the Kelly gang terrorised Northern Victoria and Southern New South Wales, Ned and his brothers made a dramatic last stand at Glenrowan, Victoria.
Following the taking of hostages at Ann Jone's Hotel, the plan was to attract a train of Victorian police to Glenrowan by train. The scheme involved the removal of rails to derail the police train. This was thwarted by a hostage who escaped, warning the train and preventing a disaster. Ned and his brothers made a famous Last Stand at Glenrowan, with several of the gang donning iron armour made from ploughshares. Ned's helmet in particular is (an overused word) iconic. Ned was shot in the leg (a weak point was the gaps between armour plates), captured and transported by train to Melbourne, where he was hanged in Melbourne in 1880. His last words were allegedly recorded as "Such is Life". https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/search-disco ... /ned-kelly

Now this figure, some call a psychopathic murderer, others a folk-hero, came to be a symbol of how Australians would like to view themselves as smart, brave, loyal to family, inventive and anti-authoritarian(not as psychopaths :evil: ).
Many artists have drawn on the Kelly saga to express ideas about the Australian psyche and isolation, notably Sidney Nolan. Nolan's eerie paintings show Ned Kelly in his black letterbox helmet as a figure in the landscape, all around, everywhere, but not belonging there. https://nga.gov.au/Nolan/Index.cfm

So the idea is to take elements of Ned's exploits and folklore, and represent these in a Gn15 Emett-esque Australian setting. The locos (a vertical-boiler job springs to mind) might look as if the workings were cobbled together from Ned's armour. I have a Bachmann On30 tramcar chassis, and Hornby Smokey-Joe chassis that would be suitable. Carriages can be built on old longer wheelbase Hornby chassis. I'll start with these elements, and then build the layout.
In Ned Kelly folklore, Ned was said to be seemingly everywhere at once. This comes through in some of Nolan's paintings. With this in mind, my friend suggested that all (or most) of the figures on the layout wear versions of Ned's helmet.

I am thinking of a slightly larger layout than my usual micros for this project. It might include the siege at Glenrowan with Ann Jone's Hotel, Stringybark Creek and other key elements of the story. Quite by accident my mate has given me a challenging and unusual project, which should be great fun to build.
Watch this space,
regards
Geoff Potter
Wamberal NSW Australia
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Re: Kelly Country: Australian folklore and Gn15

Postby southpier » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:06 am

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi Geoff and all.
Yeah the dings in the helmet prove that the cops weren't all that bad a shot :shock:
Question: are suitable dings from "incoming" on the list of features to be modelled?? :P

PS. See guy and myself for sedums when you are ready :wink:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:54 am

Hi John,

I hope to have suitable bullet dings in the boiler cladding. Just trying to work out what to build the loco from. Will probably be a fairly solid styrene base similar to the resin "Stromboli" in the Emett range from Smallbrook. The Kelly-armoured boiler will be tricky if I am to get the real feel and patina of Ned's armour.

My method of attack with this layout will probably be...
1. Clean up my desperately untidy garage and workdesk
2. Build previously purchased Smallbrook Emett "Nellie" (to be renamed "Neddie"), passenger coach and wagon set. Unlike the usual highly colourful Emett colour schemes I intend to do the loco in black with red lining, a bit like VR regular locos. The passenger car will have a VR Red livery. Completing these will give me a better feel for the quirky Emett style, which should help when designing the Kelly loco.
3. Building figures... I think building the armoured and other figures will again give me ideas for moulding the Kelly armoured loco
4. Building an Emett-proportioned version of Glenrowan Station and Ann Jone's inn.
5. Baseboard and trackwork, possibly a simple loop with passing loops front and back, probably wire in rod control. A contemporary birds-eye illustration of the Glenrowan seige site shows a simple passing loop with additional wagon siding, very easily represented.
6. Build the Kelly loco and more rolling stock, perhaps a Police train.
7. Scenicing and presentation. If you recall the Hoyt-Clagwell layout in On30, I think the Ned Kelly helmet idea translates very well to a black rectangular valence with viewers looking into the "helmet" to see the layout.

I hope to have the layout ready for the next ANGC at .... in 2019!! :D :D :D
"I would not join any club that would have someone like me for a member." -- Groucho Marx

Geoff

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi Geoff, all sounding good, especially point 7, which made me laugh :).

Following here...

Les
"Because I Can"

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:19 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing this.
Peter

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:40 am

PeterH wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Me too, just as long as I don't have to dodge the bullets that were flying at Ned. :shock:
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby southpier » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Kerluk
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kerluk » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Wonderful video. Thanks. :D

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Oztrainz » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 am

And Ned was the subject of the world's first feature length move from 1906
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZYRCzMYCvI tells the story.
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:39 am

I don´t know, if the Kellys everr robbed 15 Inch trains. Some of the police troups came by train, if I remember right.
The film with Mick Jaggar from 1970 was not too successful at the theatres: http://suche.aol.de/aol/image?q=Ned+Kelly+Mick+Jagger&v_t=keyword_rollover

Have Fun

Juergen

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:25 pm

Wasn't the whole Ned Kelly thing just Sidney Nolan's backstory? Very convincing weathering though, those 'bullet dings' are just genius.
Peter

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:42 am

I love the Strawberry Mountain video. The look of the layout and rolling stock is similar to what I envisage. I am in the procrastination stage at present, although I have purchased a catalogue from a Sidney Nolan Ned Kelly exhibition for inspiration.
Part of my procrastination is to do with a busy work schedule, where our library is starting to plan this long-awaited permanent exhibition at our Woy Woy Library http://www.gosford.nsw.gov.au/about-cou ... urs-legacy

Being a Goons and Milligan fan, Ned Kelly is being temporarily pushed from my mind as visions of Bluebottle, Eccles, Seagoon and Co fill my waking dreams. :D I figure if I can just follow our own Prof Klyzlr's advice and try and do one little thing a day I will keep momentum going!
Tomorrow my aim is to complete assembly of my first Smallbrook Emett flat car.
cheers
Geoff
(Oh yes, the Jagger film was a stinker. "O'im a Kallie" , atrocious overacting!)

Geoff

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 am

A virtual tour and analysis of the Kelly armour from the State Library of Victoria
https://youtu.be/BILf1VD_Qy8
I saw the armour personally when I visited Melbourne last May.
The armour weighed approximately 41 kilos. It was never going to end well.
Geoff

Geoff

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby southpier » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:18 pm

the hobby waits. I think it's better to know there's work waiting than be resentful that work is taking us away from other interests.

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:39 pm

Southpier,
I hope I don't sound resentful. I pinch myself that I get paid to do what I love to do, and the Milligan project is a great way to "give back something" to Spike Milligan, who has had such an influence on my life outlook and sense of humour.
Geoff

Geoff

Steve Holland
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways (WHR and FR in particular), Gn15, 16mm/ft, 7mm/ft, too much going on in life to have a website to look after!

Postby Steve Holland » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:50 pm

Geoff,

Working with all that Milligan material must be great. Just be careful that you don't get Lurgi, the only known cure is playing a brass instrument :D
I wonder how much Goon Show material could form the basis of a Gn15 layout?...........
Steve Holland

Keep banging the rocks together

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 am

Steve,
yes there would be so many absurdist ideas that could be borrowed from the Goons, and the characters themselves would really lend themselves to Emett style caricature.
Maybe this script will help, here, have a Gorilla... http://www.thegoonshow.net/scripts_show ... ich_system
cheers
Geoff

Geoff

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:30 am

NotHarryPotter wrote:Southpier,
I hope I don't sound resentful. I pinch myself that I get paid to do what I love to do, and the Milligan project is a great way to "give back something" to Spike Milligan, who has had such an influence on my life outlook and sense of humour.
Geoff

One of my favourite clips of Spike is from a documentary on him in Australia...

'Here I am, sitting on a (railway station) seat at Woy Woy (station name clearly on the seat in true railway fashion).
Woy Woy is Aboriginal for Deep Water, but I don't know which Woy is deep, and which Woy is water.'

Oh, the Mick Jagger Ned Kelly film...... didn't stop me from buying it on DVD.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

NotHarryPotter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby NotHarryPotter » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:46 am

Gavin,
yes, with Spike and his extraordinary parents and upbringing, his entertainment and literary career and all, there is so much to tell.
The Collection of memorabilia which was gifted to our Library is amazing. Photographs by the score from India, Burma and Woy Woy, performance images, scripts to This is your Life where they really had no idea how Spike would react to any given situation...it goes on. The challenge is how to do justice to Spike, Flo, Leo and brother Desmond's respective stories, there is simply so much to tell.
I am very lucky to have such a conundrum, and I am working with very good people so I am confident we will get a good result.
cheers
Geoff
(Oh, and I have just built my first Smallbrook Emett flat wagon and I am very pleased with it) :D :D :D

Geoff

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby southpier » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:11 am

interesting; I had to search what all the talk was about. the era is right (mid-late '50s) but I had never heard of him. it's a small world I've lived in ...

but I do understand the enthusiasm generated by the opportunity to be immersed in something which you have passion.

Carry On!!!

Return to “Modelling Matters”