New Layout in the design phase

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

johnndeanna
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: All narrow gauge railroads and modern day shortlines

New Layout in the design phase

Postby johnndeanna » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:48 pm

Hello all,

My name is John and I hail from Tega Cay, South Carolina which lies just south of Charlotte, North Carolina. I have been an armchair model railroader for most of my life and have dabbled in N, HO and On30 for a lot of that time without actually building anything. I spend most of my time looking at forums and Facebook pages and wanting to do something but never do. Well, I'm hoping that is about to change.

I was sitting at the office the other day with not a lot going on and decided that I needed to do something that would be relaxing to do over my lunch hour. I work as an engineer type and works keeps me stressed out a bit during peak times and I need something to take the edge of so to speak without resorting to drinking LOL I have a nice cubicle with a window and have a decent view, but I also have a wall right behind me that has a couple pictures on it. This wall offers me a space about 9' long and 30" deep to do something train related. Ideally I want to have something that offers a continuous run but a bit of operation as well and a good bit of structure building and scenery. I considered HO for a bit but I would be relegated to a stub ended terminal with no continuous run. N is too small for me and I have no N scale equipment but would make a great little layout in that space. On30 is a great option and I have some equipment already so this is still on the table. Then I thought Gn15 might make a wonderful layout as well so here I am.

I'd like to build whatever I build on a hollow core door slab that is 30" deep x 6'-8" wide. With that said I am in a quandry. Most layouts I see are far smaller than that so that is a lot of space to use. I am also HORRIBLE at layout planning,; scenery and structures building: GOOD, layout planning: BAD. I am having a difficult time envisioning how to use that space. I've browsed Carl Arendt's old site but nothing really struck my fancy.

If you had my space how would you fill it? I am open to any and all ideas. I simply can't come up with anything. What I need is inspiration and maybe even a track plan for that space. Once I have that I can do the rest. Even a napkin sketch is fine. I'd probably prefer some sort of working railroad and not just a caricature of something. I love weathering and detailing and making things look well used. Motive power and rolling stock I can build or kitbash, and scenery and structures are right up my alley.

I had looked at Nick's Yellow Ridge mine and thought something similar would be AWESOME. Again, any ideas of inspiration would be wonderful and I'm looking forward to getting started on something after nearly 30 years of not modeling anything other than a diorama.

John Maritn
Tega Cay, SC

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Re: New Layout in the design phase

Postby lesmond » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:03 pm

Hello John, and welcome to the Gnatterbox.

My first thought on reading your post was "do you have any depth to play with"? In a long, narrow space like that, I'd be thinking of a mine entrance at one end (open at the back end so you can load / unload cars with timber / miners / supplies in and ore out from the mine without making it too obvious), then over a bridge (hence the thought about depth), to a loading / processing / transfer plant at the far end.

You could do the same with timber - forest at one end, sawmill at the other, with a bit of a journey in between to give the loco something to do.

Also, with 9' x 30", you could add a shed for the engines, as well as fuel and maintenance provision.

You could also quite easily by using tight radius curves and short locomotives / stock have a circuit of track (30" is very generous in Gn15 :) ) if you want to watch the trains go round and round for a while instead of actually operating the layout.

Sector plates or traversers at either end (please see my "Huge Tools" thread for a plan incorporating two sector plates) are also an option if you want to go end to end.

I hope these rather garbled thoughts help - whatever you decide to do, please keep us informed, and we looooove photos :)

Les
"Because I Can"

johnndeanna
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: All narrow gauge railroads and modern day shortlines

Postby johnndeanna » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Well I was bored so I decided to have a go at it after Les replied. I don't have a photo sharing site yet so I will just upload PDFs of the plan. I decided on an iron mining operation that is double sided. One side 1 (upper) you have the mine entrance, a tunnel for continuous run, a couple sidings for something and an engine house. On the end of this side you also have an elevated waste tip to a waiting truck below.

On the opposite side you have the industry that processes the ore into steel and iron. Various buildings for various stages of finishing, a runaround, and some other stuff I have put on the plan yet.

I will do this layout shadowbox style with the backdrop down the middle with an integral lighting valence. I don't know what the standard track centers are for Gn15 so I went with 2". I'm sure that's tight but I can widen up a bit if needed. From what pics I've seen the equipment is pretty small to begin with. Looking at If you have any suggestions please let me know.
Attachments
Gn15 Mining Layout Rev 1.jpg
Gn15 Mining Layout Rev 1.jpg (219.83 KiB) Viewed 107 times

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:56 am

Hi John,

That looks good - plenty of operating potential, lots of bits to detail, and an interesting theme.

I'm looking forward to seeing this develop.

Les
"Because I Can"

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:21 am

That looks like a very well thought out plan. Nicely done and mines allow for a lot of interesting engines and rolling stock. Go for it!
Ozark Miniatures has some GN15 mining engines and ore cars as well as 1/2 inch scale mine buildings. I have no interest in that company other than being a satisfied customer..
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Return to “Modelling Matters”