Experiments with tippers

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Experiments with tippers

Postby lesmond » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:05 am

I've been on the lookout for tippers for some time, and can't quite find anything that suits what I'm after.

So, I decided to see what I could bodge together, and ended up (so far) with this for the tipper body:

Image2017-08-07 20.23.40 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

which is a piece of strip styrene 2" long rubber banded to a piece of wood with a curved edge and held in boiling water for half a minute or so, with one end (not yet trimmed) glued on. The "V" is about 1.5mm off centre in this one, but it will do for trials.

Next, using styrene channel, I made a small chassis. I'm not up for making consistent curved ends, so mine will have square ends with slightly rounded corners:

Image2017-08-18 15.22.59 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The centre channel has room for two thin strips of lead inside it to add a bit of low down weight.

Next I made the bearing blocks using slightly thicker styrene strip, drilled out and with a brass bearing added. The wheels are (I think) Ratio from a badly injured, modified Hornby wagon bought for scrap:

Image2017-08-18 16.36.03 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The bearing blocks need a lot of work - next time I'll shape them a lot better before I glue them on :( .

Next to make the other set of wheel bearings and think about how the tipper will be mounted.

One good (accidental) thing about the chassis design is that with these wheels the flanges don't protrude over the top edge of the base, so flat bodies etc can also be added, making it quite versatile.

Les
"Because I Can"

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Re: Experiments with tippers

Postby southpier » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:10 pm

that looks very serviceable.

Q: the brass bearings - is this something readily available as an individual part?

thanks

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Railway history, drinking beer

Postby PeterH » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:27 pm

That tipper looks great Les. I'll be interested to see how you resolve the bits at each end to hold and rotate the body.

Some time ago I saw on the internet a way of forming the bodies in one hit:
- underneath is some plywood with a rectangular hole the size of the body at the top
- on top a piece of styrene that has been heated till soft
- plunge down into the hole a length of wood with the end shaped to the inside of the tipper body.

I haven't tried this myself.
Peter

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge of all types, Gn15 most recently, making models with a budget of £0.00

Postby lesmond » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:52 pm

southpier - thank you. The bearings were from an Ebay seller, listing here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-OO-HO-gaug ... 2749.l2649

As usual, I've no connection to them apart from being all pleased with these bearings :). They seem readily available, and 50 will last me for a while.

Peter - also thank you. I've read of that method of making the tippers, but also haven't tried it. More below about the rotating bits and pieces.

I did a google image search for "narrow gauge tippers" and found lots of detail of the means of tipping them out. Of all of them, this one:

ImageIMG_1352 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

caught my eye for simplicity. I'm indebted to Tom Bell (Tebee) for the photograph.

Basically someone shoves the tipper body over from the opposite side that the load is needed, it rolls over until the curved section on the end of the body hits the stop attached to the frame, and presumably once empty tips back again and locates on the pin in the middle. This seems fairly simple to recreate, so I came up with this on top of the frame (I'll explain the bit over the axleboxes below):

Image2017-08-19 18.59.35 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

There needs to be 1/2mm or so more of a space between the upright bits, as they ended up slightly splayed, although this hopefully won't be noticed once its painted / weathered.

Next I needed the curved sections on the tipper itself. One quick hoke in the parts box, and I came up with this part (highlighted in red) from an unbuilt Airfix / Dapol water tower kit:

Imagetower2 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

I cut it in half, and fixed each half to one end of the tipper. In "travel" mode it looks like this:

Image2017-08-19 19.00.28 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

and like this tipped:

Image2017-08-19 19.00.56 by lesmond2009, on Flickr

The boards covering the axleboxes are allegedly to keep dirt / muck / tipped product out of the bearings, but in reality are because I made a total hash of the axleboxes and the more I tried to fix them (once attached) the worse they became. So to save a lot of bother, I hid them :).

I still need to make the couplers and mountings (link and pin in my case), but it wouldn't be the end of the world to add a Kadee or similar.

Hopefully this explains the process. The mk2 will be similar but hopefully a bit neater. I've eight to make for Gn15, and ten or so for G9, so all being well they will improve with practice :)

Les
"Because I Can"

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby southpier » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:14 am

that is all looking quite nice. thanks for the bearing link.

Kerluk
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kerluk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:23 pm

Very good work as always Is. In fact I'm a bit jealous. :mrgreen:

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:22 pm

Thank you Chris :). Get yourself some cheap styrene and see what happens...

As the illustrious Prof. Kyzylr always signs off with:
"aim to improve"

Les
"Because I Can"

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby PeterH » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Ha. Nice solution to the tipper problem. And to the axlebox problem.

I've found a good way to make well-shaped axleboxes is to take a length of tube and glue to it a length of strip (for the top surface). Then glue paper over the two to hide the gap between the tube and the strip. Finally, cut to short lengths with a piercing saw.

I've done this with a metal tube (for parallel bearings), paper glued round the tube to build up the size, stripwood and thin cardboard. Fast and all are the same size. You should be able to do this with styrene.
Peter

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:29 pm

PeterH wrote:Ha. Nice solution to the tipper problem. And to the axlebox problem.

I've found a good way to make well-shaped axleboxes is to take a length of tube and glue to it a length of strip (for the top surface). Then glue paper over the two to hide the gap between the tube and the strip. Finally, cut to short lengths with a piercing saw.

I've done this with a metal tube (for parallel bearings), paper glued round the tube to build up the size, stripwood and thin cardboard. Fast and all are the same size. You should be able to do this with styrene.

This sounds great but I am having a hard time visualizing it. Can you post a picture perhaps?
Thanks
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

PeterH
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby PeterH » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:27 am

Here's what I meant:

B07AA5A7-AB66-43E7-B210-25D84BA36754L0001.png
B07AA5A7-AB66-43E7-B210-25D84BA36754L0001.png (77.06 KiB) Viewed 266 times

I make the whole thing wider than I want, then put a spacer against each side of the tube in turn and use a knife to cut it to the right width. Use a fine piercing saw blade, this cuts the bearings to length without tearing the cardboard.
Peter

lesmond
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby lesmond » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:52 am

That's an excellent idea, Peter - thanks for the diagram. As you said, that is do-able in styrene.

Les
"Because I Can"

southpier
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby southpier » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:15 pm

I can see making these in length and slicing them "bologna-style" for multiple runs. line up on the frames with a piece of axle or brass rod so they would be perpendicular to the center axis and parallel to each other.

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks Peter. That makes it very clear and very smart too.
otherDoc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:28 pm

When I was building tipping skips for Wood Bros I made Hudson-like axle boxes from a length of square-section plastic rod with a hole through the centre. I glued a piece to a strip of plasticard cut to the required width, and sliced it into sections. The bonus was that pin-point bearings are a push fit into the hole ...

There is a thread about the whole skip project, but all the photos have been 'bucked' ...
Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.
Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

Bilco
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: 7mm & 16mm NG, Gn15

Postby Bilco » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:18 pm

This is the thread about my skips - and some photos are still visible, for some reason ...

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t= ... skips+hard

This was the tipping arm - unpainted ...

... three skips, showing the finished axlebox ...

... and the bent bit of wire wot did the tipping ...

Bill

If at first you don't succeed, cheat.

Too soon old, too late smart.

https://sites.google.com/site/myoldlayouts/

Return to “Modelling Matters”