THREADS REVIVED WITH PHOTOS

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

THREADS REVIVED WITH PHOTOS

Postby chris stockdale » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:02 am

Please excuse the 'shouting' use of capitals in the thread title, but having found a (slowish) way of grabbing photos back from P Bucket no matter who put them there I wanted let you all know about threads which are being brought 'back from the dead'.

Please note, it is, sadly, far too much work to put each pic in it's perfect spot in a thread, they're all likely to go either into the first post of a thread or right at the end.

I'm starting with Gerry's 'Virtual Exhibition' as that seems perhaps the best source of 'complete' layouts.

As I'll put a note at the end of any 'revived' threads keep an eye out for stuff popping back to the top of the list here in Modelling Matters for the latest efforts.

Cheers,

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Re: THREADS REVIVED WITH PHOTOS

Postby michael » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:39 pm

Chris, thank you for doing this, Perhaps your example will lead to someone in other forums taking on the task as well. What photobucket did was clearly despicable, without grandfathering the images already in forums, or giving those who had them some time to make appropriate changes. They really have destroyed a lot of creative work, by their corporate behavior.

Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:46 pm

Chris - do you use Chrome?

I've found a less labour intensive way of fixing threads with the use of a pair of Chrome extensions.

Just tried it on this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4918&p=62769#p62769

Which I fixed for Daniel so he could see it.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:08 pm

We went through this same scenario a few years ago. It seems that many are still making themselves dependent on free webspace. I will post of sites such as FB, but always have original photos, which are sometimes also on my own, paid for, website. Not that that is 100% safe, but I think it is safer.

I suppose it is having worked in IT, and I am sure, Tom, you also came across this. Always backup data, never trust everything is going to be OK, and keep control yourself.
It still does not excuse Photobucket, in the way they just did it, but even if they did not just pull the plug, something similar could have happened(a natural disaster?).
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Return to “Modelling Matters”