How tight a plain circle??

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Cycle touring, Garden Railways, Motorcycling, Gn15 and 7/8" scale.

How tight a plain circle??

Postby Bill Reynolds » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hello, I want to try a Gn15 layout with a simple circuit to start with. My made up base board is four foot long by two foot wide. I have some Peco 00 flexible track to use. Can someone tell me a size radius circle to fit this size. I would be running 0-4-0 locomotives and short rolling stock on 00 scale wagon bogies.
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Re: How tight a plain circle??

Postby Gavin Sowry » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:21 am

Tree001.jpg
Tree001.jpg (78.46 KiB) Viewed 766 times

Check out my Haywards Estate Railway....... 8" radius curves.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

tebee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: just about every scale you can think of....
cute trains generally

Postby tebee » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:16 am

Couplings are usually the limiting factor - it's the sideplay on these that limits the curve you can get round.

Sideplay is made worse the further the ends of the vehicle are from the wheels, so that is a factor too.

Tom
To know the meaning of life you need not to be dealt a good hand, but rather to play the worthless hand you have been dealt to the best of your ability.

southpier
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: large scale narrow gauge micro layouts

Postby southpier » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:52 pm

go as large as you can for reliability and tight as you can for novelty. but novelty is a short lived victory, and if your railroad won't operate you'll lose interest and never finish it.

so, 24" / 2 (assuming your intent is continuous running roundy-round) = 12" radius. that leaves you half-a-track hanging over the board at the ends of both curves which isn't so good for reliable operation either. crunch it in to 10 1/2" radius (measured to track center) and you should have the best of both whirls.

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Bill Reynolds » Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Hello Modellers, Thanks for the replies to my question. I had a look at the New Zealand Haywards Heath? line... but no pictures only some computer advert asking me to join Photo Bucket??...As I am not very computer savvy I did not try. I looked at the other end of the messages of this line and found nice photos....Did/Has Photo Bucket 'gone west'...?! I had to ask these questions as for the last fifteen years plus I have been doing 7/8" scale which is another thing. I think a 10. 1/2" radius will have to do on my fledgling Gn18 line, maybe a six inch extra bit of Sundeala bolted onto my base board to make the width 2' 6" wide so I can have a 'main line' along the front of the circuit for a two connection's, one to the 'Reynitium' mine and one to the jam factory....??!
Bill Reynolds..... Amalgamated Conserves....Our jam's are wonderfull...(try a spoon!)

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi Bill,

A few months ago Photobucket decided they were no longer going to continue the free hosting service and were demanding money (about $40 a month I think) to continue. A lot of forums of all types were affected and I think most people have moved elsewhere but it means all the old links are now useless.
Stockers ( one of the moderators) has been trying to recover pictures where possible and has put the at the end of the threads.

Cheers
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Bill Reynolds
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Bill Reynolds » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 pm

Thank Don for the information about Photobucket, very much the same happened to a free Web site hosting service operated by Orange. My site there had around 55 thousand hits, but then Orange decided people had to pay for hosting....I don't know how many people accepted those terms or walked away like I did?!

Return to “Modelling Matters”