Dimensions for a loco and wagon?

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Dimensions for a loco and wagon?

Postby Paul Bee » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 pm

Hello All,

I've been lurking on the forum for some time, but have decided it's time to move from armchair modelling to actually trying to produce something. I'd like to get a 'feel' for the scale and hope that someone might be able to furnish me with dimensions for a Gn15 critter type loco and 3 plank wagon, so that I can have a go at scratch building some stock.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
Paul

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Re: Dimensions for a loco and wagon?

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:19 am

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Gnatterbox!

Life is rather quieter in here than a few years back but there are still folk working away in Gn15. If you're a Facebook user there's a group there too, see:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/114811365587118/

In answer to your question take a look at the kits here, there's dimensions for each item:

http://smallbrookstudio.co.uk/kits-part ... 15-Heywood

You can get lots of Gn15 items from the 3D printer Shapeways, see:

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=gn15&sort=price

Cheers,

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paul Bee » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:38 pm

Hi Chris, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and the useful links.

I have recently joined the Facebook group you mention and posted my query there, however in response, it was suggested I try here.

Nevertheless, the links you have provided should prove useful in getting a rough idea.

There are a number of critter type bodies on the Shapeways site that appeal but I find the cost prohibitive, particularly once you factor in shipping.

I will see how I get on with a scratch build for now.

Thanks again for your response.

Paul

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

Postby Thorness » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi Paul,
Welcome aboard.

There is an excellent walk-through for wagon building here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10024&p=117174#p117174 obviously you can adjust the size as much as you need. The standard Heywood "Top"wagons were 6ft long and 3ft wide, most of my wagons are between 4 and 5ft by about 2ft 9in so really it is up to you.
With regard to a critter once you have sorted a chassis then anything goes! If you look at The Loco Shed at the top of the first page it links to several loco builds for inspiration from sophisticated machines to some that look like a motorised garden shed.

My own small effort can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=9428

Cheers
Don
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Albert
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Albert » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Hi Paul,

Welkom here. I did do something in Gn15 long time ago. But I am thinking about a new project in this scale so, who knows....
I remember having the same questions as I started. Then I went to a narrow gauge museum. The width of a gritter or a lorry is about 80 cm to 120 cm for the big ones. Keep in mind that Gn15 is parkrail, it runs on about 370 cm. Make the gritter to wide and it will tip over. My models were about 45 mm wide. The funniest thing is that you can't do anything wrong. Ask yourself: how tall is a tree? Exactly. Everything is possible. And everything you come up with is already built and does exist in the real world.

So, stop worrying. Just start building.

Regards,

Albert.

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:17 am

Paul,

One last suggestion: grab an old cereal packet or similar bit of card and some glue or tape and mock up a wagon or two and maybe a loco. It's a great way to quickly get the feel of any scale with almost no cost.

If it looks right, it is right. :D

Cheers,

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paul Bee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:21 pm

Thorness wrote:Hi Paul,
Welcome aboard.

There is an excellent walk-through for wagon building here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10024&p=117174#p117174 obviously you can adjust the size as much as you need. The standard Heywood "Top"wagons were 6ft long and 3ft wide, most of my wagons are between 4 and 5ft by about 2ft 9in so really it is up to you.
With regard to a critter once you have sorted a chassis then anything goes! If you look at The Loco Shed at the top of the first page

Hi Don,
Thank you for kind welcome and helpful links. These will help enormously.
Best wishes
Paul

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paul Bee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:55 pm

Albert wrote:Hi Paul,

Welkom here. The width of a gritter or a lorry is about 80 cm to 120 cm for the big ones. Keep in mind that Gn15 is parkrail, it runs on about 370 cm. Make the gritter to wide and it will tip over. My models were about 45 mm wide. The funniest thing is that you can't do anything wrong. Ask yourself: how tall is a tree? Exactly. Everything is possible. And everything you come up with is already built and does exist in the real world.

So, stop worrying. Just start building.

Regards,

Albert.

Hi Albert,

Thank you for the kind welcome and for the assistance with dimensions.

Best wishes
Paul

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paul Bee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:56 pm

chris stockdale wrote:Paul,

One last suggestion: grab an old cereal packet or similar bit of card and some glue or tape and mock up a wagon or two and maybe a loco. It's a great way to quickly get the feel of any scale with almost no cost.

If it looks right, it is right. :D

Cheers,

Great idea. Thank you Chris

Paul Bee
'boxer
'boxer

Postby Paul Bee » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:00 pm

Thank you all for your input.

I will free a cereal packet of its cardboard coat this weekend and have a bash. Might even post a few pictures on Sunday evening in the hope of some feedback from you all.

Thanks again

Paul

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby chris stockdale » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:47 am

Hi Paul,

As a further indication of what can be done with cardboard (and some poster paint or similar) take a look at Dieselwater's posts over the years. He's always used the most basic raw materials but turns them into intriguing and interesting models.

He started here with a toy

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4631&p=59431#p59431

As you probably know, click on his name to get to his Profile and then click on Search Users Posts to find a wealth of examples of his work - alongside which the Gnatterbox as a whole does, of course, have a ton of great modelling! :D

Cheers,

Return to “Modelling Matters”