GAMMA converts to RC

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Thorness
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Small gauge railways, photography

GAMMA converts to RC

Postby Thorness » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:06 pm

ImageGamma conversion by Thorness, on Flickr
This loco, now called GAMMA, was my first 3D print in Gn15 and has undergone a few small changes since first built.

However having built another couple of 3D prints with Radio Control I decided it was time for GAMMA to be converted.
The oringinal build had a load of lead firmly glued in place in the tanks,smokebox and dome to aid adhesion and pick up.

In order to get the battery in the solid lump in the smoke box had to go. After much effort and a few rude words I managed to get it out without doing any other damage to make the required room.
I'm using Deltang gear as in the other locos but a smaller battery (180mah rather than 320mah), unfortunately the charging socket on the battery I bought is a smaller size than the other batteries so I had to find the appropriate connector. This one is a JST-PH rather than a JST-XH! Connectors on these things are a nightmare! a bit like mobile phones used to be - every one seems to be different.

The positive thing with this is that it has been easier to hide the charging port on the loco.
Any way onwards and upwards!

Receiver/speed control

Battery and on/off switch

I was quite pleased to be able to fit the switch at the front of the tank by the smokebox, the picture shows the off position.
ImageGamma by Thorness, on Flickr

The charging lead is hidden inside the tank with the block to stop dangling wires. The lead can be pulled out for charging.

Overall I'm pleased with the conversion although the loco looks exactly the same as before! I think I could probably have shortened some of the wires a bit more but too long is better than too short!

ImageP1050341 crop by Thorness, on Flickr

Cheers
Don
Don

Thrubwell Hall
R/C is the way to go.

Return to “Modelling Matters”