Macton works developments

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:37 pm

Brian,
thanks now I understand.

No Scott. I don't have anything special coming up for the show apart from adding some more details to Upton Whent.

So you wont be exhibiting a partially finished layout then :wink:....two Gn15 layouts for the price of one on your stand :)

Mike thanks for the compliment, the visuals dynamic will change a lot one the crane itself is installed. There is also a possibility that a shunter could move a smaller flat wagon rather than the larger Hydra toward the loading dock, or away.... Short line I know, but that will be down the road after the layout is basically complete.

Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:43 pm

michael wrote:Ian when looked at this picture I had to do a double take, I thought i was looking at the real thing. The way you have placed the stuff inside the shop, the careful placement of the details makes me think that someone is going to pop out any moment, and add something else in the trolly which is very convincingly filled.
That's what I mean when I go back and look again I see things that I missed the first time. I want to be able to see round the corner and into the rest of the shop, but it is not soppible and that is also intriguing.

Michael

:oops:
I bet you wish you could see "round the corner" and see the topless girlie pics on the wall... nudge nudge :wink: :wink: say no more...

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:12 pm

michael wrote::lol: :lol: Gerry first you tell me that the workers can look down on the office workers :twisted: then you post a picture of the ostentatious office :lol: Just where do your loyaties lie :twisted: :wink: ....with the factory boys or the office crowd. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Michael

Merely an illustration Michael, many Offices of yesteryear had tower clocks that could be seen from a distance thataway the hoi polloi could see whether they needed to run to get through the gates on time :lol: :lol:
The building photo I used is that of Leeds Uni so not actually offices at all.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:01 am

I did a bit of detailing on the corrugated card this evening, used some brown and orange Rembrant chalks along the edge next to the steel, I laid the brown on first then the orange. Next I blended them with a blending stick.

I made a simple jig to make the ridge cap, basically pushed a piece of rod into a rectangle of green asbestos paper so that it went down between 2 pieces of styrene about 3/32 apart then folded the upturned pieces flat. Now the task of adding the bolts holding it all in place.

The skylight is a piece of 1/16th lexan that I sanded along the same axis as the corrugations simply to frost it up. it is resting on a piece of code125 rail slipped into the corrugations in the card structure. next comes the dividers between the sheets of glass.

Still tons of work to do but progress is happening.

Michael
Regards Michael

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 am

I guess the roofing is a pass Michael :lol: :lol: :arrow: :mrgreen:
Knowing now how you did it the ridge tiles look identical to the Ali ones I have from Back2Bay6.
Only one word: superb and I'll have to give up again.
Can't even post my latest project as the Camera won't talk to PC. :oops:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:51 am

Michael, I'm sure it has been said before. Thanks again for taking the time to photograph and explain your methods of construction.
Great help to us all :D :D
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:44 am

Wonderful Michael, the weathering really brings that wall to life, it doesnt look quite so imposing now either. This little taster shows how good it is going to look, I'm licking my lips in anticipation :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:15 pm

That siding is brilliant Michael, The rusty wash looks very convincing and I do like the door, the stairs up will need your gate sign treatment to give it that airy and somewhat dangerous feel, heat up the iron and get out the solder.

Scott

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:42 am

Gerry , Steve ,John and Scott, thanks for the kind words and encouragement. I work in spurts as you probably have figured out by now. I must admit this project has rekindled more play in me that many a project over the last few years. I think Andy said it well when he mentioned being inspired to get out of the armchair and do some modelwork as a result of this forum and that little successes lead to more fun.
Strike while the iron is hot comes to mind Scott... yes that is exactly what I thought when I spotted the stairway on page 496 of the september 2004 issue of "Railway Bylines". As I mentioned earlier I have been pouring over my copies of "Railway Bylines" looking for details that are suitable. Then it jumped out and the solution to the end wall came it had to get taller and needed a door and stair I have some expanded aluminium that is used as a material for sculpture, I think it will make a great material for the treads of the steps. and there can be a chain connected from the stairs at the lower end to the long building this would be a good place to allow servicing of the overhead crane, some form of walkway to the crane rails.

The neat thing about pouring over these sorts of material is that depending on what you are looking for you discover stuff in pictures that you missed the first time you read them.

I mus'nt let Jim's picture of the railcar sidetrack me :roll: and I need to update the macton website :)

I have another paying project comming up so modelmaking might have to take a break for a little while....well not completely :wink:

regards Michael
Regards Michael

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:42 am

I made a start on the windows for the sandstone building today. I revisited Chuck Doan's website and studied his windows for the tractor diorama.
Thinking about Gerry's thread about using freebees, I remembered that I had a stack of wooden window blinds that I picked up at the Seba Dump, they had been chewed by a pet presumably, anyway they were pitched.
I originally thought that they were maple or birch and being only 3mm thick x 50mm wide I thought that they might come in handy.

When I cut them, that familiar smell :?: I realised that they were actually basswood...Bonus :!:

I set up the saw to make a small rabbet on the edges of the 3mm width to form the middle bar of the windows

After running the wood across the blade on both sides I cut it off to form the bar. I made an assembly jig from some scrap plex and some styrene, this is the first frame, ready to be glued up after some weathering.

I have some >006" microscope slide glass but not much I will need to get some more.

still a long way to go to match the sort of work that chuck does, but it is a start.

Michael
Regards Michael

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:25 pm

I am fairly pleased with the first window test. This was done with dirty floquil then Tamiya green the glass is held in with a couple of drops of carpenters glue then the white squadron putty, then dusted with a green Rembrandt pastel

Michael
Regards Michael

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:48 pm

Looking good :D :D :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:08 pm

You need to hire a new property manager out there Michael, that place is looking run down, not to mention some type of security, damb kids throwing rocks, it`s no wonder they can`t buy spray paint! :D
Really great stuff there, beautifull work as always.

Scott

greengiant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 7mm, O-16.5, GN15 and 2 foot

Postby greengiant » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:10 pm

Looking really good Michael.
I showed some work colleagues the Chuck site and they would not believe it was a model.
How many windows to go?

Martin
Martin

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:15 pm

Btilliant Michael, I really like that, the broken glass works perfectly. One down, how many left to go :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:51 pm

Once you've got the brickword weathered to the same level as the window, I reckon that'll be damn near indestinguishable from the real thing (or or one of Chuck's!).

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:57 am

Shucks :!: :!: You would have to say that wouldn't you John :wink: I have been troubling over the sandstone brickwork for weeks now. The method would work better in 30mm scale but is a bit big regarding the joints, so I bit the bullet and have started a new sandstone building going back to the method I started this whole thing with. Yup watercoloured paper sandstone blocks applied individually over corrugated cardboard shell. At least it will be lighter. I also had an opportunity to change the proportions a little, slightly taller and some more refined stonework. I will find another use for the MDF building. :cry: :roll:

Michael
Regards Michael

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:43 am

michael wrote:Shucks :!: :!: You would have to say that wouldn't you John :wink:

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:46 am

michael wrote:Shucks :!: :!: You would have to say that wouldn't you John :wink:

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:16 am

Oh well, I guess I'd better find the printy windows and see just how bad they look in comparison with that. :)

Superb, Michael, simply superb.

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:13 am

Andy Thanks, John, there is alway a silver lining in these things :idea: While i was contemplating the new building :roll: I thought about the way the original was shaped and decided that it was not altogether right... so I have decided to square up the building. Doing this opened the distance up between the corrugated addition and the sandstone one. At one of the very earliest plans I had thought that the cobbled area was a yard that had a a large wooden gate and that would be the device to hide the return tracks at the back. well I think that I might reinstate that idea, with a bridge connecting the sandstone and corrugated buildings. The question is whether to make the bridge open or closed in. I'm thinking that the lower part will be bridgelike with steel and the roof being slightly rounded corrugated metal that is painted and going a bit rusty. a bit like this.

The saga continues. :)

Michael
Regards Michael

learningtobelost2
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 1/35th Armour, Music

Postby learningtobelost2 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:38 am

I like that, I like that a lot.

Luckily though you are now reaching the limit in terms of what the baseboards can contain, thus Macton can't get much bigger! That said when compared to the original layout of buildings the new improved "Giant Macton" is definately an improvement!
Chris.

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:26 am

I think you might be onto something here Michael, looks to be one of the best scheme's so far. It has a nice flowing line along the back and looks a lot less cluttered. Have to confess, I prefer it without the tree's aswell.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:50 am

michael wrote:... At one of the very earliest plans I had thought that the cobbled area was a yard that had a a large wooden gate and that would be the device to hide the return tracks at the back. well I think that I might reinstate that idea, with a bridge connecting the sandstone and corrugated buildings. The question is whether to make the bridge open or closed in. I'm thinking that the lower part will be bridgelike with steel and the roof being slightly rounded corrugated metal that is painted and going a bit rusty. a bit like this.

The saga continues. :)

Michael

With a hand powered railtrack on the bridge? Perhaps sides sufficently enclosed to see its a trackway but covering the fact the person is not actually walking :lol:

Paul

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:53 am

Thanks Chris, Yes Steve it is interesting what time can do for the mind, it is always better to have some gestation period before making the final decisions, sometimes I get ahead of myself, and need to take a few steps back. I must admit I like it both ways, with the trees and without, I'm sure that the right choice will be made eventually. I have thought about a couple of big stumps and a the smaller tree outside the gate staying. I think that the focus will move more into the yard and the sort of clutter and activity that will be going on there. The one tree would be a great spot for a birds nest and a few birds. I have a couple of great shots of wooden factory gates in the Railway Bylines, I think that the cobbled yard makes more sense with a gate there as well.

regards Michael
Regards Michael

Return to “Modelling Matters”