(F) Romney Hythe and Dymchurch diesel - Help please.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Blackcloud Railways
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

(F) Romney Hythe and Dymchurch diesel - Help please.

Postby Blackcloud Railways » Thu May 11, 2006 9:01 pm

Help wanted please. While browsing the web I came across the RH&DR website and this picture:

http://www.rhdr.org.uk/rhdr/stock/stock_art/engineers_train.jpg

Does anybody know of more pictures, from different angles, of this loco? I would like to build a model of it for my "Hayfinch Estate" 15 inch gauge (Gn15) diorama.

Thanks

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Thu May 11, 2006 9:38 pm

That is the ex-Eaton Hall Simplex, Bob. The bottom half is standard Simplex, but widened from the normal 52" to 56.5" to accomodate moving the drive gear to one side to line up with the narrower gauge. The upper part was added at the RH&DR. I think I can find some more pics, but I'm off to stain some balsawood, so it will probably be tomorrow before I can find them.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

Postby terrystrains » Thu May 11, 2006 9:47 pm

This is the only photo I could find at present:

Hope it helps.

Terry

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Fri May 12, 2006 7:12 am

Here's a picture from 1970 issue of "World's Smallest Public Railway":

Paul
Gnu Zealand

David Percival
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Railway History

Postby David Percival » Tue May 16, 2006 7:39 am

I don't profess to be a 'Simplex' expert but I am an enthusiast -- a number of things puzzle me about the RHDR loco.

An LGRP photo of the Eaton Hall loco in Howard Clayton's The Duffield Bank and Eaton Railways (Oakwood 1968) shows clearly that it was of the bow-frame type whereas the RHDR loco has straight flat frames. I bow to Steve's greater knowledge on the subject and the widening, but the bow-framers were 58 inches wide across the frames anyway and so would probably not have needed altering too much for 15-inch gauge.

In addition, it is clear that the radiator on the RHDR version is different to that at Eaton Hall (incidentally, why has the upper cooling pipe which ran from the engine jacket to the radiator header tank been removed?). The cab is also different but this could easily have been changed -- all in all, I'm left wondering whether in fact, this is the same loco? The RHDR example bears many similarities with those rebuilt by the Kent Construction Co. and I'm wondering if this loco has been through that process -- any ideas?

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Tue May 16, 2006 8:53 am

In Terry's photo I would venture the radiator is off a Fordson Model F Tractor. The one in the other photo is quite different.
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 16, 2006 9:16 am

David Percival wrote:I don't profess to be a 'Simplex' expert but I am an enthusiast -- a number of things puzzle me about the RHDR loco. An LGRP photo of the Eaton Hall loco in Howard Clayton's The Duffield Bank and Eaton Railways (Oakwood 1968) shows clearly that it was of the bow-frame type whereas the RHDR loco has straight flat frames.

You are quite right David, Eaton Hall had two Simplex locos. The first was of the early bow frame type (2099 of 1922) and it was later joined by a plate frame version (7059 of 1938), which is the one now at the RH&DR.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue May 16, 2006 9:20 am

In Terry's photo I would venture the radiator is off a Fordson Model F Tractor. The one in the other photo is quite different.

Spot on Paul, it did have a Fordson radiator for a while.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Return to “Modelling Matters”