Sound

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Sound

Postby dr5euss » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:37 pm

A little while ago we had a debate over sound. Well I spent today operating a large O gauge layout for a friend who's a member at my club, and he had a sound box with whistle, 2nd whistle, brake squeal, and station announceent (although apparently this was inGeran so he didn't wire it in). It's made by Busch.

Anyway, to me, it was really great, and I now have the urge to add sound - I think it could work well in a small area. So my question is how do I put sound on the railway? Do I record these things onto CD and play them, or should I get something like this:

http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/pr ... sp?ID=1649

The only thing that's putting me off (besides the rather hefty price) is the fact that I would be paying for the fact it's syncronised. I can see this being an issue on steam engines but not really diesel - I think just a general rumble would be better.

So what I was thinking was have 3 or 4 portable CD players, wired up the mains (could I use one plug?), with all their headphones going to two speakers on each side of the layout. Then I can press CD one track one and that could be diesel rumble etc.

Anyone have any other ideas? How about using a laptop?

Thanks,

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:00 pm

I would go the laptop option myself. You could have lots of sounds and play them in any order at the click of mouse. You could have a diesel rumble running all the time and then add other sounds as and when required. The digital route does give a lot more flexibility. If you want to stay basic. then I would suggest using a hi-fi type cd player of the type with track buttons, then you could just play the track you want at the touch of a button to coincide with what is happening on the ng track.

Just my two cents.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your comments. I've been having a look, but the version of Windows Media Player I have (version 9) means that I can't open two windows simaltaneously. It would be ideal to have a chugging diesel and then a whistle etc on top of it.

I'll have to see what I can do about this, but I think it's the way to go :)

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:21 pm

The answer is to use more than one type of media player, I have at seven different ones installed on this PC, plus there are another two I could install if I need them. There are many free media players availible, all you need to do is tile them on the desktop and have different (or duplicate) sounds in each one.
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:24 pm

Windows Media Player, Real Player, Quicktime, Nero Showtime, ATI media player, Creative (Sound Blaster) Media player, Winamp, I also have Goldwave (shareware) and Ace Media Player, if I need them.
Barry Weston

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:25 pm

Hi Barry,

Please could you let me know if one of those allows you to open mulitple windows - that would be easier than installing them all.

Thanks,

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:21 pm

There's always these:

http://www.ittsound.com/hqpage.htm

"Diesel Helper" isn't too bad for a larger Gn15 loco.
Regards,
Keith

Dogs have owners;
Cats have staff....

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:32 pm

Keith!

When we had the Mark 1 discussion on sound I think that page came up, and then I spent 20 mins today trying to find it again!

Thanks very much!

KeithB
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: World-wide NG industrial; std-gauge short-lines

Postby KeithB » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:50 pm

I also seem to recall that one manufacturer did a "special" for a single-cylinger (I think...) loco - anyone know who that was? Was it Robbe?
Regards,

Keith

Dogs have owners;

Cats have staff....

SpeedLimit20
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SpeedLimit20 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:00 pm

Hey there george :

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LayoutSound/

This is a great yahoo discussion group for layout sound topics, equipment and methods. Very clever people run this show.
Back to the Models ....
Rick

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:26 am

KeithB wrote:I also seem to recall that one manufacturer did a "special" for a single-cylinger (I think...) loco - anyone know who that was? Was it Robbe?

Your right 'someone ' did. also consider ITT Steam Donkey

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:29 am

I fitted background sound to my last layout. It had a push buttom on the front of the layout for the kids to push. The sound was great at home but totally lost when at an exhibition :cry:

Paul Napier

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Sound

Postby Catweasel » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:19 am

I'm on the fence when it comes to sound on a layout. If done right,OK,but not many sound right for the scene.The steam donkey does sound like a typical small diesel though.If burnt to CD and expanded it would work well.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:59 pm

dr5euss wrote:Hi Barry,

Please could you let me know if one of those allows you to open mulitple windows - that would be easier than installing them all.

Thanks,

The ones I tried wouldn't open multiple windows, but here's another way to do it using just two players. It's important that the audio files that you want to play are set to open with one player. Use a different player to play the background sounds you want on permanent loop. Place all the other sounds (whistle, brakes, etc) in a folder and set the view properties to 'Tile', this will make the icons bigger and easier to hit with the mouse. When you want to play a particular sound (whistle etc) then all you need to do is double-click on that icon and it will play in the other player. The background sounds will continue, the whistle will sound over the top. It'll take a bit of juggling to get the volume of the sounds right, but keep in mind that some players (Real Player for example) will alter the speaker output, Windows Media Player doesn't. If the background sound player is iconised to the taskbar then the folder and the other player can be positioned on the desktop so that they don't overlap. If you want two background sounds playing simultaneously, then you just need another player.
Barry Weston

Racing Hippo
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Racing Hippo » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:31 pm

George, all this talk of portable CD players.... mp3 players are far more reliable and you can barely walk down the street these days without someone offering you a free iPod Nano. Failing that, eBay is rife with 2nd-hand mp3-players in various guises.
You could maybe look at a couple of little amplifiers for 'em. One for background, one for spot-effects?

If you go the lapdog route, google for sound effect players - there's bound to be something, as it's just the sort of thing that amateur theatre would want...

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:14 pm

Hi John,

I'll have to see how much they are. I think my brother have a little 512mb one so if I ask him nicely... :lol:

I only thought CD player as I could probably get one for a tenner.

Thanks for the info Barry, I shall do that if I use the laptop :)

fognozz
'boxer
'boxer

Postby fognozz » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:28 pm

If you want to go the DIY route, you might want to look at

http://www.cowlacious.com/AudioProd.htm

They sell small boards for recording and playback. I have purchased a couple, and they sound pretty good.

On a related note, someone posted video of a small ruston idling and running. I captured the sounds as a .wav file, and I'd be happy to share them, but I don't have anywhere to post them.

The real trick would be to have the idling sound when you turn on the loco battery, and then change to the running sound when the beast starts to move....

All the best!

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:49 pm

dr5euss wrote:I've been having a look, but the version of Windows Media Player I have (version 9) means that I can't open two windows simaltaneously. It would be ideal to have a chugging diesel and then a whistle etc on top of it.

This software should allow you to have multiple sounds running at the same time http://www.xnview.com/. Not really what it is intended for, but just got around to trying it and had 4 different WAV files running together, probably could have opened more but my ears got confused. Even if it doesnt do what you want, it is worth having, the directory viewer is one of the best around and a lot faster than anything else I have tried. The image editing functions are pretty good to. Also plays many different types of media files and doesnt seem to have the same problems as media player has with codecs. I have been using this for a couple of months and still finding new functions built into it
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:17 pm

These are the files that Fognozz made:
Download ruston.wav (2.59MB)
Download rustonidle.wav (2.99MB)
Failure is just success rounded down.

Catweasel
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways,Folk and Blues etc.

Ruston

Postby Catweasel » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:37 pm

The Ruston sounds are useful.I'm loading them into Audacity and I hope to be able to figure out how to make the samples into a full length,usable track.
Lead me not into temptation,for I can find my own way

dr5euss
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby dr5euss » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:07 pm

I like those Ruston sounds; should come in handy - thanks :)

calme1952
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby calme1952 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:45 pm

Hi,

I found this by chance , don't kwnow if this could help :

http://www.remtrak.com/sounds/sounds.htm

Gerard HENRY

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:30 pm

This looks interesting (and cheaper).. you can use your own sounds too..
http://www.dckits.co.uk/sound.html
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:00 pm

OR.... (guess who has been googling?) :D

http://www.talkingproducts.co.uk/talking_labels.php?PHPSESSID=9ad0ccea9c76b198762f842e92f3f6b5

For a really cheap option... mount a few on your layout / control panel and press for the sound required. Not local or amplifies or synchronised but probably a bit of fun.

I also notice on this site that they can pre-record a chip with your own wav. file.

Must go to bed now... :wink:
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:

Return to “Modelling Matters”