My first Gn15 Layout - AKA 'Cats Common'

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

My first Gn15 Layout - AKA 'Cats Common'

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:16 pm

Last evening I got fed up doing what I was doing so headed into my workshop. Two hours later..............

Baseboard is 6mm ply on a wooden frame, nominal size 4' x 2' (1200 x 600mm).

This morning I had a rummage through the box containing my Peco O-16.5 and OO scale track, tried out a few point combinations.

8 hours later I had run out of both conductive and insulated fishplates ..........

Still, it's a start! :D
Last edited by More_Cats_Than_Sense on Wed May 13, 2009 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Insanity prawn boy
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Slate quarries, rock music, loads of other stuff which I can't be bothered writing

Postby Insanity prawn boy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:20 pm

Good start Barry- that's a very sturdy-looking baseboard you've got there! Neatly laid track too. I had the same problems running out of fishplates just when things were getting interesting (until I started building my own track.) Now you've got a circuit for running in, and just watching trains go by-

What's this going to be once completed??
Insanity prawn boy
http://slatequarryman.fotopic.net
Narrow gauge, rock'n'roll, Industrial archeology- can life get much better?? Yes actually, I discovered classic cars

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:37 pm

I normally build my own track too, but I had half a dozen Peco O-16.5 points and a dozen lengths of flexitrack that I had no use for. I had originally bought the track for an O-16.5 layout but changed my mind because the track looked too "heavy" for what I was trying to achieve.

Dunno what it's going to end up being, I had no other thoughts than see what I could fit on the board, and allow for expansion if needed later.
Barry Weston

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

CrassssssssssssssssssH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:46 pm

Help needed, Barry your track is too close to edge of baseboard :shock:
Don't ask :!: :oops:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:52 pm

There will be removable bits to cope with that Gerry, I had to go close to the edge because of the points I was using. If I'd hand built the track I could have made three of them curved points. It's all a compromise, but I had Gnoticed the proximity to the edges.

Don't mention an end-to-end layout incident involving a loco wired the opposite way round either! :oops:
Last edited by More_Cats_Than_Sense on Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Weston

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Postby ian holmes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:54 pm

Whats this?
Not building a Gnine layout?
I feel so betrayed :lol:
If your track was only 9mm wide it'd be further from the edge :wink:
Good to see you making a start Barry, whatever the scale

Ian
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 pm

There will be a Gnine layout Ian, probably on the same size board too :wink:

I do have the plans for an 6'x2' multi-scale (continental N, OO9, O9) layout drawn up. No reason why that won't also be suitable for Gnine too! :D
Barry Weston

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:03 pm

Very nice Barry!
Looking forward to seeing what happens next
Failure is just success rounded down.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:19 pm

Oooh... that looks interesting Barry, Looks like lots of operatioal possibilities, A brewery perchance :?: :) Hic.

Michael
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

learningtobelost2
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Gn15, 1/35th Armour, Music

Postby learningtobelost2 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:05 am

7 points in 8 square feet... and it doesn't look cluttered! looks like there's a lot of operating potential there, which is more than I can say for my first outing in this scale!
Chris.

Giles B
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby Giles B » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:27 pm

Good start; looking forward to seeing what comes next. Do you have any stock to run yet or has the choice got to wait until you've chosen a theme?

Giles (just back from expoNG)
Giles

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:30 pm

Got all the track in place Gnow :D

Next job is point control and wiring. Where possible, all track connections are hidden, track feeds are soldered to the bottom of fishplates or directly under the rail of the points where insulated fishplates are being used. Same technique as used on my previous layout.

Point control will be wire-in-tube via a mechanical lever frame.

Still no idea what it's going to be, all I know is that one of the sidings from the 'Y' point will be a loading bay of some sort inside a structure of some kind, and the other will be a holding siding for the loading bay. There will be something also at the end of the headshunt. Possibly inside a building of some kind.
Some of the curves will be hidden, and the "loading/unloading" ends of the sidings will also be hidden. The layout is split into two electrical sections so the shunting can be taking place while trains are moving on the continuous run.
Don't really know what the siding on the outside of the oval is going to be, it may have an engine shed or something, but whatever it is it will have to take into account that the siding may become the link to a future extension (hence the matching siding on the RH bottom of the picture).

Hopefully, my only Gn15 loco (Wasp) will be out of the paintshop by the time I've got the wiring/point control finished (Note to self: - Where did my paint brushes go?)
Barry Weston

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Time for an update!!

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:03 pm

OK, got the point control working (at last!). I had problems with one of the points because I needed to reverse the direction of the throw of the point lever, and the technique I used for one point failed to work on the second point because of the number and radii of the bends in the tubing :( Anyway, overcame that problem by using rods and cranks on that point, which was the method I had originally planned to use in the first place! :roll: The Slide Switches are attached to pieces of wood and fixed to the underside of the baseboard directly underneath the tie-bar of the point. The lever of the switch was drilled and tapped 10BA as this size of bolt will screw directly into the point motor actuating hole in the tie-bar of the Peco points I was using :D I had to counterbore the holes in the levers a bit as I didn't have long enough bolts :oops: There are washers and a nut under the lever to keep the omega loop in place which is fitted into another hole drilled in the lever.

Once the points were working, I wired to layout to the connector strip that the control panel will connect to, temporally jumpered the sections and isolating sections together, and with Wasp commandeered from the paintshop, it was time to test the track with the first Gn15 train.......

:D :D :D :D

:D :D :D :D
Barry Weston

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:12 pm

Barry that looks great, I like the way the point control comes to a single location. I will do that on my next layout? Have to get one finished first.

Michael
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:00 am

Looking good Barry, you have got me yearning for a bigger layout now, but I would have nowhere to put it, yes yours is big by my standards :)
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:58 pm

I don't actually have anywhere to store this one, and I've also started building an 8'x2'6" N gauge layout!! :shock: :shock:
Barry Weston

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:19 pm

More_Cats_Than_Sense wrote:I don't actually have anywhere to store this one, and I've also started building an 8'x2'6" N gauge layout!! :shock: :shock:

:lol: What I meant was, i dont have anwhere to put it out flat, every flat surface in the house is covered, even half of my double bed :) , really must have a sort out :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:49 pm

At the moment, I have a three foot wide (max) walkway through the rooms of my (small) two bedroom bungalow. The rest of the space is taken up with railway stuff, computers, study books, more computers, and what flat space there is, is normally occupied by the 11 furry-purrers that I share the place with. As I type this, Gismo (Tabby Persian) is flat on her back on the PC table, between me and the keyboard, Jodie (Torti & White Moggy) is asleep on top of the PC tower, and Robson (Black DLH Moggy) is flat out in the doorway. The others are spread around the house, if I'm lucky I'll be able to get into bed tonight. The bungalows in this road are very small, with virtually no storage space. :?
Barry Weston

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:01 pm

:) A kindred spirit, I guess there is no hope for either of us :)
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:28 pm

Having seen all the layouts being built, I felt the desire to continue with this one. I put some rust on the sides of the rails in preparation for ballasting, and I thought I'd better run something to make sure it still works before I ballasted, plus it gave me an excuse to try out my new digi mini-cam :wink:

Dial-uppers beware it's over a minute long in length :roll:

Excuse the mess in the background 8)
Barry Weston

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:53 pm

Coming along nicely Barry; perilously close to edge at times :shock:
That's tidy in my parlance :oops:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:33 pm

Great start Barry, So that is what track looks like :D :D

As you know I do not have any down yet :!: :!:

It is a well organised start

I must learn to get organised :oops:

Regards Ralph

jay
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby jay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:34 pm

what's the radius of the southern part of the oval? looks like a little pincher there!

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:03 pm

Love the video, is it one of those dinky little jobs you can fit on the train for a rail high view. :?: :?:

Ralph

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:29 pm

jay wrote:what's the radius of the southern part of the oval? looks like a little pincher there!

About 6 1/3 inch radius at that point Jay, the Bachmann short wb 0-6-0 locos won't go around it :twisted:

Well, actually they just pop the front drivers off the track and re-rail themselves at the next turnout :lol: :wink:
Last edited by More_Cats_Than_Sense on Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry Weston

Return to “Modelling Matters”