(F) New Bill/Ben 0-4-0 chassis

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

(F) New Bill/Ben 0-4-0 chassis

Postby terrystrains » Sun Jun 08, 2003 8:41 pm

Hi There,

I have in front of me, a Hornby 0-4-0 "Bill" that I am converting/hacking about to make another Gn15 loco. It looks a totally different beast than the "Smokey Joe" chassis, as the motor is fixed horizonally over the chassis which is heavy diecast/milled, so leaving much more room for a cab. The running ability has been enhanced and is much more controllable than the Smokey Joe type. In my opinion, the new "Bill" chassis is the one to go for as, not only is it superior than "Smokey Joe", it was cheaper too!!!

Regards

Terry

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

Postby terrystrains » Mon Jun 09, 2003 10:00 am

I bought the Bill/Ben complete for £14.99 and can buy a Smokey Joe (or one of its derivatives) for £9.99 and I know which I prefer, but again, it's only my humble opinion!!!

Perhaps the new modeller to Gn15 should consider the Hornby 0-4-0 diesel loco also as I have done. Although it is still a "Smokey Joe" type motor, it is improved by a nice heavy chassis and is easy to convert to Gn15 (using the same body) at minimal cost. These also sell at around £9.99 to £14.99. You pay your money and take your choice, it just depends on how quick you want to be up and running in Gn15 and how good, or bad, you are at scratchbuilding a complete loco and of course rolling stock!

Regards

Terry

ian holmes
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, photography and maintaining my Englishness living in America

Bill and ben observations

Postby ian holmes » Mon Jun 09, 2003 5:21 pm

I have followed this thread with some interest as I have a couple of Bills and a couple of Toby the Tram chassis ripe for conversion. I have to say I am very impressed by the running qualities.

I have a considerable number of chassis from American manufacturers as well and apart from the Bachmann Porter chassis (which is truly excellent) is the best of the lot. I am currently building a model of Sir Arthur Heywoods 'Katie' and can report no problems with fitting a body to the chassis.

The only minor problem is that the motor protrudes too far forward, so I loose the daylight under the boiler. The footplate sits perfectly on the top of the chassis which is uncannily at the right height. 'Katie' is longer than the chassis so I loose the ability to use the Hornby couplers. Which I might live to regret as I am still looking for a reliable auto coupling system.

Ian :D
Model railway psychic nutjob
Ian's Gn15 pages at http://www.iholmes.com
Try something different http://gnine.info

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

New Bill / Ben 0-4-0 Chassis

Postby Gerry Balding » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:47 pm

Hi,

I managed to pick one up for about £17 at a local exhibition. I am currently using it as a basis for a model of 'Katie'. The chassis needs a bit of modification, but the advantage is that the motor can be hidden in the boiler / tank assembly leaving a nice, free footplate.

The new price compares favourably with many second hand Smokey Joes seen at local collectors' fairs.
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

Return to “Modelling Matters”