Interesting that you would show that Simon, I was in the assembly shed all day working on a more refined version of the railcar.
I went with plastic for #2
I used a method called drape moulding very easy way to get thin compound shapes I used some very thin white styrene scraps for the first tests. The first picture shows some of the blister pack from Percy and it worked very well, I was thinking about making the shell clear then just painting the body leaving the windows clear. I even did a few with the flat top cut out of a plastic egg carton.
I made 2 drape sheets one for the top and ends and one for the sides. I just turned the wooden former that i used for the gummed strip around and made a couple of drapes for each side, I am using a good hot air gun but a good hair dryer would also work on thin styrene say .010" The square of plastic is held in place on the drape frame with masking tape. As soon as it is hot simply push it down over the mould, in this case the wood form.
after the sheets were made I used the #11 to knife around the form so that i had flat bottomed shapes to work with.
I drew on the windows with a pencil and used a drill in the pin vice to drill a series of holes around the inside of the window opening, then chopped this out with a trusty #11
Dry fitting the sections together, using this method there are many possibilities for where to put the joints. it is a good idea to make a bunch of spares sheets because the stretching of the plastic is a bit of a hit an miss thing regarding the consisitency of the thickness. and when you cut them out some places are just too thin. i also pushed the drape frame down a bit to far in retrospect.
Bertrand did get a suprise when he came on for the evening shift the boys in the back had pushed the new railcar out to get a better view, things are a bit crowded inside. They still need to cut out the doors and rear window yet.