(F) Heywood Bogies

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

(F) Heywood Bogies

Postby Gerry Balding » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:21 pm

I'm planning to build some items of Heywood bogie stock to go with Katie. At the moment the stumbling block is finding the the right sort / size of bogies for 16.5mm gauge. From the available plans, Heywood's bogies were of a short wheelbase with 1' diameter (or thereabouts) wheels.

Has anyone overcome this problem or could suggest a suitable supplier?

Thanks.
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:20 am

Might be able to help you out here Gerry, that is of course if you are happy with 1:22.5 rather than 1:24 :)

Will need to find the patterns and make a mould, but that should only take a few days. They would be correct dimensionally, but have my normal pattern of axlebox. Does this sound of any use?
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:55 pm

Found the parts and can now give you dimensions. Length 42mm, wheelbase 20mm, width 27mm and height 14mm with 12mm diameter wheels. Should ideally have 14mm wheels, which would raise it to 15mm, but I couldnt lay my hands on any for the photo.

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

Heywood Bogies

Postby Gerry Balding » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:46 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the pics. The bogies look spot on for dimensions. The pattern of axle boxes doesn't matter as they are not too noticeable. Given that I'm not a rivet counter and I wish to get the flavour of Heywood stock, a little comprimise is not a bad thing.

I don't envisage a large fleet of Heywood bogie vehicles at this stage, just 3 or 4 (two of which will probably be parcels/ brake vans).

Please let me know how to proceed.
Gerry Balding

Norwich

Norfolk

UK

Return to “Modelling Matters”