Making a start !

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Railway,

Making a start !

Postby richard andrews » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi chaps, Sorry i did not make a reply to your questions about the cost of
putting a price on selling a layout, but you seem to have worked it out for yourselves.
Making a start ! well i am off work with stress at the moment, and that is one of the reasons I have sold the layout. :( :( :( never mind its a new year and time to start a new project. Saturday morning / saturday afternoon one smallbaseboard built,34"x 11", main building shape cut out &coated with DAS. Sunday(today) scribed stonework just going to paint it. :) :) . With any luck this project could be finished in a couple of weeks will keep you informed.will send Steve any pic's i take of progress.kind regards Richard :D :D :D

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Yippee, I cant wait :) , I wont distract you by asking questions :) . Ready and waiting, my mailbox is always open for your photo's Richard.
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:33 pm

Good luck Richard, no doubt we'll all be drooling in due course :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:21 am

Look forward to seeing pics of progress. Anything like your previous creations and I'm sure it will stand out.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Making a start ! The new layout

Postby richard andrews » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:30 pm

Hi chaps 1st week over & the layout has a name, BICKLEY'S YARD. :D :D :D :D The progress is very good, i am working on it about 3 / 4 hours a day, track is layed & wired most of the scenery is completed,now all i have to do, is blend it all together and bring it to life.
I am going to send Steve the photo's that i have taken so far.
The clue to what the layout is about is in the "SIGN" on the wall :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards Richard

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:12 pm

Steve, have you got the photos yet 'cos now I'm REALLY intrigued :!: :D :D :D
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:22 pm

OK, here we go, the first pics of Richards new layout. Apologies to Dial-up users in advance, I have compressed them down, but there are a few. It's great to see the early stages of development, I'm sure in a few weeks it wont be recogniseable as the same layout.

Thats all for now folks, Enjoy.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:33 pm

By Jove he's done it again :arrow: :mrgreen: Gnot finished but enough there to see Richard's got a winner 8)
I wonder where the Country Pub is that has a railway outside the front door :?: :twisted:

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:51 am

Thanks for posting the pics Steve, I love the simplicity of the Ship Inn, I am sure that by the time this layout is finished there will be so many little things to study that its present prominence will recede a little.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:40 am

With that complcated trackwork I hope the points are DCC compatable to manage all the locos on tap :lol:

Looking great.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:12 am

michael wrote:Thanks for posting the pics Steve, I love the simplicity of the Ship Inn, I am sure that by the time this layout is finished there will be so many little things to study that its present prominence will recede a little.

Yes, the Ship Inn does stand out at the moment, probably due to it being more advanced. I'm looking forward to seeing what goes on at the opposite end, I would imagine there will be lots to look at with that open building.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Making a new start

Postby richard andrews » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:34 am

Hi guys

I have just sent Steve some more up to date photos of the layout, hope you like them. Layout progrtessing well, got an invite to Walton on 3rd March, hope to see you there.Regards Richard

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:07 pm

Looks like today is going to be a good one, the sun is shining and a new batch of pics from Richard :D . Just a quick downsize and compression on the pics, other than that, unedited, ENJOY :) I will let the pics do the talking.
Really looking forward to seeing this in just over a weeks time, get working Richard :) .

Steve Bennett

Sidelines

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:20 pm

Great progress. Will the dingys travel be train?
Paul

Gnu Zealand

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:15 pm

Paul your comment remined me of the lifeboat launch facilities that are dotted abot the country. One of those could make an interesting layout all by itself.
Regards Michael

If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:03 pm

Looking really good Richard. Michael, I had thought about the lifeboats as I have a book with pictures of a crawler (tractor) pulling one, but how to work a train into it too :?: :!: Steve, without going off at too much of a tangent, you mention downsizing and compressing the pics. Could you explain how please as it takes a long time to upload to photobucket and also to e-mail :!: :shock: :D
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:53 pm

I think Michael was referring to the launch systems for shore stationed lifeboats, most are launched on rail mounted buggies that takes them from the boathouse, down the ramp to the sea. The majority of these buggies in the UK are currently built by loco builders, Alan Keef at Ross-on-Wye.

Downsizing and compressing pictures is not so easy to answer. A lot will depend on what photo editing software you have and the facilities built into it. Some like Photoshop, have the facility to compress for web use with very little loss in quality, which is very useful in getting the file size down, not all software has this built in unfortunately. Re-sizing though is included on most, which you obviously have, as your photo's are a lot smaller than how they would have come from the camera. You will probably also have the option to choose the quality setting when resizing. It is really a matter of trial and error, to see what the lowest quality setting you can use without too much loss in detail. As an example, I have used Photoshop's save for web compression on your pic, which has reduced the file size from 178kb down to 29kb, there is a slight loss in quality, but not much.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 pm

What a difference 10 days makes. Today I was fortunate to be next to Richard for the first public showing of his new layout, Bickley's Yard. It is hardly recogniseable as the same layour shown earlier in the thread, he has certainly been busy. I took loads of pics and had great trouble working out which to post, hopefully these will give a taster. For those looking for an excuse to give up, read on :lol:

First shot looking along the layout toward the pub, note the hidden track on the right and the clever shaping to allow the trains to pass.

Now looking in the opposite direction toward the superbly detailed boat builders.

The boatbuilders end of the layout just bristles with detail, here is an overall shot of the area.

and in a little closer, it is the little details like the blackboards advertising fishing trips that really bring this to life.

Meanwhile a train of fish has been parked up by the pub, while the rest of the train is made up for the trip to the mainline interchange.

and I couldnt resist including a shot of Richards wonderful little Fish Van, I really like this vehicle

Hope you are not bored, just a few more shots. The detail inside the boat builders workshop just cant be missed, there is just so much to look at in there. I took loads of pics of the interior and had real trouble deciding which to post, so here are a few. They really dont do it justice, but I hope these give a flavour of what it is like.

Had to include this, it shows my boxes off so well :D

Well there you go, a quick tour, just goes to show what can be achieved in a small area of only 34" by 11" (approx 865mm by 280mm). My apologies to those on slow connections, I hope these didnt take too long to load and you feel it was worth it.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:55 pm

:shock:

I can't help but be in awe of Richard's work. His layouts are one of the major influences in the design of my (work now started, really!) Cider House Yard layout. The design of the roof on the pub is such a good one I can't help but want to steal it. And I'm off the basement right after I post this to go build me one of those radios!
Last edited by Peter on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is just success rounded down.

SpeedLimit20
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

Postby SpeedLimit20 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:57 pm

Thanks for all the photos Steve ... it sure looks like Richard has sprung yet another fantastic layout. I love the colours and textures.
And i trust that Richard's confessed work-related stress is at least a little bit relieved having built this gem of a mini layout.

Can i ask you or Richard a question?
Assuming that the little layout has its own lighting rig, can you describe how it is set up please? If you have any "far away" shots that show the lighting rig and whole layout presentation, could you guys post a couple of suitable piccies please?

Thanks at lot. It would be very informative.
Back to the Models ....
Rick

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:00 am

That is fantastic :!: So much detail in such a little space.

I have one worry though, how does the boat builder secure his tools at night :?
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:10 am

DCRfan wrote:That is fantastic :!: So much detail in such a little space.

I have one worry though, how does the boat builder secure his tools at night :?

That's easy Paul, obviously set in an era when pilfering was rare and the locals left their doors open :wink:
It really is another superb effort from Richard and demonstrates the ethos of Gn15 modelling.

The guy with his girlfriend almost looks real do they make them that small :twisted: Having second thoughts about the era having re-looked at the HOT PANTS :roll: :lol: :lol:

richard andrews
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox

making a start

Postby richard andrews » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:30 am

Thanks Steve, the layout really looks great in the photo's. It was great to see you yesterday, I had a really good day, it did me the power of good.
I hope you guy's like the layout.
if you have any questions i will do my best to answer them.
regards Richard

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:07 am

Looks fantastic! Almost enough to make a die-hard O9 modeller like myself to consider switching scale.... :roll:

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:08 am

Gerry Bullock wrote:That's easy Paul, obviously set in an era when pilfering was rare and the locals left their doors open :wink:
It really is another superb effort from Richard and demonstrates the ethos of Gn15 modelling.

The guy with his girlfriend almost looks real do they make them that small :twisted: Having second thoughts about the era having re-looked at the HOT PANTS :roll: :lol: :lol:

I must disagree about the era, the Valvoline symbol appears to be very recent (I think). See this web page
http://valvolinecummins.com/Admin/history.asp

However this in no way detracts from the quality of the modelling :D
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Return to “Modelling Matters”