Sources of figures

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow Gauge Railways; beer; Goblins

Postby RoGNer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I bought a "G Scale 1/24th" figure from my local model shop here in Cardiff recently - it's by "Rank & File" in Bristol. Nice hard plastic, standing figure in overalls holding a hammer. I phoned a very pleasant chap at Rank & File today to see if he does any other railway type people but alas not. Apparently it was just a short run of 3 or 4 different figures some years back. I had also picked up a Bachmann "G Men" range seated chap recently hoping he would make a good driver but he's so much bigger all round than the other figure and wont fit in the cab. The scale between the 2 is so different.

:? roGNer
Keep it on the Short and Gnarrow!

The Lea Bailey Light Railway - follow us on facebook..

Booga
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow and minimum gauge railways, currently modelling O-16.5 but this site inspires me.

Re: Seated Figures Unpainted

Postby Booga » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Mike Lee wrote:Dave

The figures arrived this morning :D Not too bad, a week from China :D They seem to be made from a hard plastic :?: just judging by the sound they make when knocked against each other :!: One strange fact is that all the figures are a single piece casting , except for the seated figure with the suitcase, this comes with the arms and head separate, these locate into square holes, certainly makes the job of modifying them a lot easier :D All I have to do now is remove the suitcase from the arm, shame that did'nt come separate :(

Andy A
Thanks for the info on assembling, did you try superglue by the way :?:

Has anybody else tried assembling these type of figures with any other type of glue, cyno, epoxy, solvent etc with any success :?:

My set of figures arrived today, it included 3x the man holding a briefcase and 3x the boy/man with his arm around someone. I'm currently in the process of removing the briefcase from his right arm and might try turning his head to the left as well.
Hello, I'm Dave.

So many modelling ideas, so little money!

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:19 pm

i had a lucky bargain win on flea bay - 11 Preiser figures and several benches for under £40. I liked the look of an old fella with a case to be a driver so i have hacksawed off his case and will repaint his clothes.

Good detailed figues in my opinion.

BTW - great to see a new scrap book page added on the late Carl Arent's superb website and the fact that its going to be up and running again

roGN'er

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:22 pm

RoGNer wrote:I liked the look of an old fella with a case to be a driver so i have hacksawed off his case and will repaint his clothes.
roGN'er

If the figure is the one in this loco (green one on the right):-

I left the case in place, it's his lunch bag :wink:
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: France, any narrow/minmum gauge 40cm,50cm , 60cm

Postby rue_d_etropal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:28 pm

has anyone tried the ones from this supplier. mostly 1/43, some 1/18 and some 1/24 figures.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/a-little-world?_trksid=p4340.l2563
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.
http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

RoGNer
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby RoGNer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:56 pm

Yes thats him! Mine is in a brown suit i think (he's asleep upstairs) so might repaint him/tart him up a bit. 8)
His bag will be on the shelf in the tea making hut..

roGNer

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Kneeling Figure

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:20 am

I've been looking for a kneeling figure looking into a hole, as far as I'm aware there isn't one.
However SLM's George comes close.

He's a Loco driver now peering over the edge.
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 am

McDonald customers (at least in Germany) now can get merchandise figures of Les Aventures du Tintin as giveawys with die Kid´s menues..

Dupont & Dupond and Capitaine Haddock are approx 85mm high, which makes them suitable for the 1 : 20 or 16mm Scale fraternity. You can put your own picture or a message into the frame.

Have fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:39 am

Macdonalds UK are certainly doing something Tintin with Happy Meals, website does not specify what, but would make sence if its the figures. !/18th scale also makes sence, as Tintin figures have been done this size before. I won't be rushing to Macdonalds, will just have to wait for figures to appear on carboot sales and internet, as they always seem to do.

Just checked eBay and thee are also other figures being issued which look about the same size.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adventures-Tintin-TINTIN-MOTORCYCLE-FIGURE-SET-NEW-/120804481576?pt=UK_ToysGames_ActionFigures_ActionFigures_JN&hash=item1c20821a28

In fact there are already Macdonalds items on eBay.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),
Narrow gauge Francophile interested in 1m, 60cm,50cm , 40cm and smaller gauges . Build in scales from 1/6th to 1/24th. Also 1/32nd and 1/35th using 16.5mm track to represent 50cm and 60cm gauges.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 pm

So when can we expect a layout Juergen :?:
Tintin in Gn15 Pizza Land, Oooops do McDonalds do Pizzas :?:
I'll go to my grave never having eaten in one and proud of that too. :lol:

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:09 pm

A 14,5 long motor cycle model, as in simons link, seems to be on the very large side for Gn15. Probably 1 : 16 or larger.
The McDonald figures come in different seizes /scales. A rowing boat with two passengers looks like 7mm scale.

You don´t have to buy the Junior meal, you can always just buy the figures (3 Euro over here). But don´t expect me, to built a new layout, everytime some new figures come around

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:04 pm

I have just got the rowing boat off eBay, and estmate scale to be around 1/32, possibly 1/35, so will suit one of my projects. More of a big canoe than a boat though.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:03 pm

A picture plus a few dimensions might be helpful for readers like me, to know, what you are talking about.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Will take a photo if necessary but here are some images from eBay
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-McDonalds-Happy-Meal-Toy-ADVENTURES-TINTIN-TIN-TIN-ROWING-BOAT-/110774681480?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Fastfood_Cereal_Sweets_Toys_LE&hash=item19caaf7f88

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/McDonalds-Adventures-TinTin-SAIL-BOAT-CAPTAIN-PIRATE-BOAT-/330642329848?pt=UK_Toys_Games_Fastfood_Cereal_Sweets_Toys_LE&hash=item4cfbd190f8

I have put mine in workshop, but from second photo estimate length about 3.5inches. The head sizes match those of some 1/32 scale tractor drivers I have, and bodies look in proportion. There is a sort of screw fixing for figures , but it does not seem to want to come out, but I intend to use boat plus figures on a small box file layout.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:34 am

Thanks for the Ebay Links. Over here the two little figures with their 9omm boat play with their 1 / 35 heavy metal comrades

Amongst 40mm Homie Figures (approx 1 : 43 scale) They look even more convincing.

some people use these for their 7 mm scale trains.

Have Fun

Juergen

rue_d_etropal
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby rue_d_etropal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:22 pm

I tend to go by head size for figures like these. it is possible that some of the figures sold for O scale (!/43, maybe 1/48 ) are smaller. The Slaters figures are certainly smaller. I will dig up some of my military figures.

here isa photo against 1/35 scale drawing. Could not find any figures made up. The Siku 1/32 tractor driver I have is also about same size

As the drawing is from the superb book by Dr Christian Cénac, and I first found out about his modelling and this book via the original seven eight scale website, I would definitely recommend his book on WW1 railways. All the drawings are to 1/35, making 16.5 mm gauge near enough spot on. There are even some drawings og the 40cm gauge wagons used in the French trenches.
Simon Dawson
(Simon D.),

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I tend to go by head size for figures like these

Most cartoon figures have bigger heads than the approx scale they are made in. These Spielberg / Hergé figures, as well as my David Gonzales Homies, are modelled after cartoons.

Have Fun

Juergen

andrew milner
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Modelling, painting, photography

Postby andrew milner » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:53 am

Posted some time ago (I know!) but TinTin is not hard to make in 1/24th with sculpy

With a 1/24th Burago Landie
Andrew Milner, still trying to figure it out....

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby KEG » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:45 am

Nice scuplting, Andrew. Much closer to the comic than the Spielberg / MacDonald interpretations.

TinTin figures are sold from various makers and in various seizes. Some of them became collector´s items. At the moment, Moulinart from Belgium seems to hold the copyright for marketing of figures.

Sitting TinTin and the fellow in the swimmsuit are sold for 5 - 6 Euro in Germany at the moment. But sometimes you can find them at flea markets are garage sales for a few cents. I don´t know, if Hergé ever had railroads in his comic strips.

Have Fun

Juergen

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Here is one of the Fujimi mechanic figures. He uses the legs from one figure and the body from another. He has a bit of a zombie pose but this is because he will be leaning against a counter selling tickets. I recommended the seller in my earlier post but they have since stopped selling on eBay. This is a shame because, although delivery took a couple of weeks from Hong Kong, they were cheap and with the 2 sets of figures I bought, they sent me a free in car accessories set with a couple of useful items like a mobile phone and a sat-nav.

I undercoated him a few days ago and started painting yesterday. I’ll post a picture of him when painting has been finished.

Here are the playmobil animals I bought via eBay. If anyone is interested these are from set 4204 which includes 1 adult badger with 2 young, 1 adult hedgehog with 1 young, 2 birds, 1 adult fox with 2 young, 1 mouse.

The foxes and birds are quite chunky but the badgers and hedgehogs are OK and will be used on my new GN15 layout. I might also use the mouse. These will all need weathering, if that is the right word for animals, to add a bit of shading and tone the colours down.

They are also available on eBay individually.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Also postmaster for The Gower Islands Postal Service.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi Kevin,
You don't mention how large these animals are however the Foxes are way too large in relation to the Badgers.
The only decent Birds came from Tracey (the bird lady); came being the operative word as my attempts to get some more have fallen on deaf ears.
The mouse size wise looks more like a rat to me. They're quite easy to make using Fimo with a length of wire for a tail.

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Rowland Emett influenced O-16.5 modelling. Occasional GN15 modelling. Sheds.

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:28 pm

Gerry,

I had planned to use the mouse as a rat but for some reason, didn't mention this in my earlier post.
I've seen this mouse on a layout somewhere on here recently but can't remember which one.
I think it was on a quayside somewhere.

The badgers look OK for 1/24. The hedgehogs are a bit big,
but this layout is being built for my kids who shouldn't mind too much.

When I paint the Fujimi man, I will post a pic of him and the animals for size comparison.
Railway Modelling inspired by the Holy Trinity of Rowland Emett, Colonel Fred Stephens and Oliver Postgate.

Ian-IoM
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Narrow gauge & industrial railways, model making, drinking beer, eating cheese and listening to Pere Ubu.

Postby Ian-IoM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Kevin wrote:I've seen this mouse on a layout somewhere on here recently but can't remember which one.
I think it was on a quayside somewhere.

Hmmm, probably hiding under my autotruck at http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=7799&start=51

It's not quite the same, but could well be from the same source - to be honest I haven't the faintest idea where mine came from, (must be an age related memory thing :oops: :roll: ). It's probably meant to be a mouse but it makes a reasonable rat in 1:24.
Ian K
Be seeing you...

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 pm

Yes Ian, that's the one I was thinking of but I am sure that someone,
somewhere has the Playmobil mouse on their GN15 layout

Kevin
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Kevin » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:06 pm

Somehow, iv'e lost the mouse/rat since I took the last photo, but here as promised is the painted Geoff
with the other animals at his feet. Sorry for the poor quality photos but I can't seem to get my
camera to do what I want these days.

The adult badger is about 40mm long, which multiplied by 24 is 960mm.
My Collins guide to British wildlife states that an adult badger is 80 - 95 cm
so this model is pretty much spot on for the top end of the size range.

Return to “Modelling Matters”