Pauls Card Challenge Layout

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:12 pm

Looks great Paul.

Are the trees fixed on, or do they have pins in the bottom so you can take them out for transport?

Now that you can hardly see through the layout to the other side, it would look good on a slow rotating turntable, so you get to see both sides.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Very narrow gauge, military & industrial railways

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:00 am

The trees are glued into place - I'd never remember where they all went and taking them all off would creat a transport problem in their own right.

The early inner ones have a metal pin in the base but I've gone for a thicker satay stick for those around the outside. As the baseboard is crush packing cardboard it is largely hollow so not much for the pins to adhere to.

To protect the layout on the move it sits in a cardboard 'box' I made up which is about 3/4's the depth of the tree height. When the box is flipped over and covered by a blanket it becomes the display base.
Paul
Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:29 am

Terrific Paul, the extra trees make a huge difference to the overall effect. It is only really when you compare before and after that you really see how much it has transformed the scene. Hope you dont mind this

Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:06 am

With the first exhibition fast approaching I need to get some more figures and rolling stock finished. The side tipper is a Sidelines chassis with a Gnomy hopper. The hopper has been aged somewhat. The standing figure is a de-cowboyied Truck Driver while the seated figure is still undergoing surgery to fit into the cab of Wally II.

The torso as produced. Me thinks this pose may attract some strange comments :P

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, of course. Cricket , Footy and Holden cars!

Postby Gavin Sowry » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:38 am

:shock: Bit 'armless, that bloke.
Gavin Sowry
Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:23 am

Wot would he Gneed arms for anyway?
Its Gnot like he Gneeds to hold a steering wheel :lol:

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:55 pm

Weekend before exhibition so have entered that zone when time seems to slow down as the rush to cross all the jobs off the 'to do' list proceeds (or doesn't) :?

I've been concentrating on figures and infill vegetation. The fitting of the arms of the passenger in the rear will have to probably be completed in place as asess is so cramped. He is the kneeling figure from of the Garage Mechanics set with his lower leg repositioned to a sitting/squatting position.

Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:48 am

The human effected area of the layout wasn't working for me so a big change. The veranda on the shed has been moved to the side to make way for the end of the access road with 4x4 Suzuki and the moss processing area is now behind the wood stack. It's looking a lot more busy 8) I picked up a 1:24th scale Hasegawa Jeep in a sale on Saturday but have resisted (so far) my urge to turn it into a rusty wreck and push it into the treeline behind the shed. However the driver may be demobbed from the US Army and given a rather quick jigger driving course :wink:

A few fern trees in the centre of the bush have reduced the ability to look right through the forest.

Paul

Gnu Zealand

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:02 pm

The changes work very well Paul, liking that a lot.
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:31 pm

Very nice. I think the bushes in the middle and the road give it a stronger sense that the railway is going somewhere and providing a service for people.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 pm

I like the changes. It is a very busy scene now, and I'm sure it will look fantastic at the show.

I have noticed that when you look at a layout in real life it can be full of details, as your eye jumps to the interesting parts. But when you look at a photo of the same thing you can see gaps everywhere.
There are no gaps in your photo so it must be really full of details.
Hope the show goes well.

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:36 pm

:twisted: Don't you ever get any sleep......... :?:

:D looking fabulous :D
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Glen A » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Gavin Sowry wrote::twisted: Don't you ever get any sleep......... :?:

Isn't sleep just time spent in bed, dreaming up more additions and ideas to add to your layout? :lol: :lol:

Gavin Sowry
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer

Postby Gavin Sowry » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:28 am

Glen A wrote:
Gavin Sowry wrote::twisted: Don't you ever get any sleep......... :?:

Isn't sleep just time spent in bed, dreaming up more additions and ideas to add to your layout? :lol: :lol:

:? Comment was directed at Paul.... he produces models faster than I can dream about them. :!:
Gavin Sowry

Gn15 Gnu Zealand

Will Vale
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: BC narrow gauge, NS, Enoden, other stuff too long to mention.

Postby Will Vale » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:50 am

Looks fantastic, and serious changes in a very short space of time. It was great to see this in person last week as well. The trees are a marvel.

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:01 am

Gavin Sowry wrote:
:? Comment was directed at Paul.... he produces models faster than I can dream about them. :!:

Gavin,

Don't need to be in bed to dream. I'm a public servant, how else do we fill in our days if were not dreaming up new layouts at the tax payers expense - Yeah right :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:03 am

Korschtal wrote:Very nice. I think the bushes in the middle and the road give it a stronger sense that the railway is going somewhere and providing a service for people.

Your right, that is what it was missing - a send of place and purpose
Paul

Gnu Zealand

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:38 am

The yet to be named cardboard challenge layout had a very successful first public outing. An interesting time as it was a hobby exhibition arranged by the Taupo Model Railway Club so on one side I had a scrapbooking trade stand, on the other the local pottery club ladies and across the isle the sea scouts (nowhere in NZ is further from the sea than Taupo - go figure) while across one end of the exhibition hall and across part of the roof was an impressive climbing wall much used by the kids all weekend.

At the other end was a radio control aircraft club with this impressive centre piece to their stand. Certainly not a flyer, it is bigger than my car. It was made by a local farmer apparently using scrap from around his farm. The engine cowling has resemblance to a 44 gal drum.

This 1:24th vehicle at the truck modelling club stand was impressive.

And lastly the layout. I really like walking in, placing cover over carry box, put layout on top, plug in one power cable, assemble the light stand, sit the wife down and open the interperation folder at the first page. . All over in 10 minutes :lol: :lol:

99.8% of comments were very favourable but two disasters. Two punters stepped up, 'Oh look at this lovely Australian scene' :twisted: They were dispatched to plunge into the model boat pool to wake up :lol:

As has been commented on before the ladies really take an interest in the cute little layouts. On lady visited and wanted the blow by blow construction story, revisted a short while later with husband in tow suggesting something similar would fit nicely in their new retirement village house (he had a basement full of trains in the old house). She brought him back a second time clearly stating 'Dear we WILL BE be building one of these, I miss making model railway scenery'.'
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:53 am

Dear Paul,

At least they got the right hemisphere, :wink:

I've had punters look at a (obviously?) Aussie logging layout with Kangaroos, Koalas, Tasmanian tigers, and Gum Trees,

get confused by the Geared Logging locos,

and ask me where in the USA the layout represents,
(We also almost won "Best-Non Australian" layout at a show under a similar mis-understanding, .... :? :evil: )
Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Steve Bennett » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:01 pm

DCRfan wrote:And lastly the layout. I really like walking in, placing cover over carry box, put layout on top, plug in one power cable, assemble the light stand, sit the wife down and open the interperation folder at the first page. . All over in 10 minutes :lol: :lol:

You forgot about putting the loco's and stock on, thats another couple of minutes :lol:
Makes for a very nice display Paul and having the rest of the table to show a bit about how it was done, is probably just as enjoyable for many of the visitors. Good to hear you had a good time and I'm not too surprised that it was well received :wink:
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Prof Klyzlr wrote:(We also almost won "Best-Non Australian" layout at a show under a similar mis-understanding, .... :? :evil: )

Did you tell them?
Andy in Stuttgart

More railway misadventures on:

www.korschtal.wordpress.com

Christoph
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Narrow gauge railways , sailing , music

Postby Christoph » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Paul,

DCRfan wrote:And lastly the layout. I really like walking in, placing cover over carry box, put layout on top, plug in one power cable, assemble the light stand, sit the wife down and open the interperation folder at the first page. . All over in 10 minutes :lol: :lol:

I am a little envious of your small layout :wink:

We needed 10 hours for the construction of our layout
and 3 hours for the reduction. But we were three people :roll:
My van was loaded up under the roof.

The scrap vehicle to the third picture is very beautiful :!:

Christoph

DCRfan
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby DCRfan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:56 am

Steve Bennett wrote:You forgot about putting the loco's and stock on, thats another couple of minutes :lol:
Makes for a very nice display Paul and having the rest of the table to show a bit about how it was done, is probably just as enjoyable for many of the visitors. Good to hear you had a good time and I'm not too surprised that it was well received :wink:

:shock: :shock: :shock: Loco and stock, I forgot. No wonder people were asking if it was part of the Bonsai display :wink:

During the W/E I slowly constructed about a dozen trees and ferns as the 'how did you do it' questions were the most common.

When the crowd started to thin late on the Sunday and the last few minutes were counting down I was trying out various locos. The Bachmann powered jigger set the record, 27 seconds for the slowest circuit of the layout.

And best of all I was told by two sources that a local Taupo farmer/lifestyler has build a quite extensive narrow gauge firewood recovery tramway just like your layout 8) A return visit to Taupo it pencilled in to visit ....
Paul

Gnu Zealand

Prof Klyzlr
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Aussie NG Logging Tramway fan

Postby Prof Klyzlr » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:12 am

Dear Paul,

Yep, you know you "got it right" when punters step up and tell you exactly where it is you modelled,
("...My dad used to have a farm outside of....",
"...They used to log up in the bush near...",
etc etc)

Whether you <Did> actually model the location they are adament you have,
or not,
is a totally seperate issue... :wink:
Happy Modelling,

Aim to Improve,

Prof Klyzlr

ffayolle
'boxer
'boxer

Postby ffayolle » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Paul,
I've discovered your Pizza Layout on Carl Arendt website.
Amazing atmosphere !!!
What do you use to do these gum trees ?
Regards, Fabrice

http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=2957

Return to “Modelling Matters”