Paint Issues

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Paint Issues

Postby Korschtal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:03 pm

How do you make acrylic paint go on smoothly? I'm trying to put it on with a Brush -not having an airbrush or space to use it- and I'm using the "Thin washes" method, but to no avail. It looks like I've applied it with a trowel by the time there is a strong colour. O course it doesn't help that I'm applying silver :? but all (reasonably on subject) ideas are appreciated.

My current best idea is to scrap the silver and paint it light grey and weather it with washes of brown. This would happen anyway with the silver, so it's not likely many people will notice.
Andy in Stuttgart
More railway misadventures on:
www.korschtal.wordpress.com

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:07 pm

I use a mixing palette with a dab of the colour and some separate water to mix with, and apply using a soft wide brush.
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Modern image and industrial narrow gauge, German narrow gauge, especially the island lines.

Postby Korschtal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Thanks, that's encouraging- it's roughly what I'm doing! so my methods aren't too far off... Maybe it's just practice... :?
Last edited by Korschtal on Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy in Stuttgart

clive_t
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Garden Railways

Postby clive_t » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:29 pm

Andy, for what it's worth I always apply a primer coat first - something simple like a matt grey car-body undercoat spray. Sometimes it takes a couple of goes to cover it. Apologies if you're already doing that.

Also for a base coat (after the primer) e.g. silver in your example I tend to use the paint undiluted, but with sparing amounts on the brush. Once that's down I let it dry thoroughly, then proceed with whatever washes are needed. I have found that trying to apply another coat over wet paint causes it to 'drag' and look lumpy.
Clive

Portsmouth, UK

Visit the Scampington and Chipside Garden Railway at http://www.scampington-chipside.co.uk/ - Now with added Gn15!

See the works in progress at http://scgrbuild.blogspot.com/

Korschtal
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby Korschtal » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:33 pm

clive_t wrote:I have found that trying to apply another coat over wet paint causes it to 'drag' and look lumpy.

Thanks Clive. Maybe that's the problem. I'll call it a night and try again sometime tomorrow when I'm not at work...

(Theatre people work funny hours :roll: I'm told it's because we "love Theatre" Haha...)
Andy in Stuttgart

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi Andy

I use the same methods as already suggested

Primer, car spray

I tend to dip my brush into the acrylic paint ( Without Stirring) leaving the liquid on top of the paint in rhe pot. Drag the brush across a palette to mix the paint on the brush. Apply the paint without too much dragging before the paint starts to " go off" and drag.

I also let each coat dry

Finish with a mat spray varnish which covers a multitude of sins and evens out any gloss on the colour.

Regards Ralph

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:09 pm

PS
If I want a strong metal colour I undercoat that area with white for steel. red for copper and yellow ochre for brass. then add the metal paint.

With metallic paint you have to make sure the paint is well mixed on the palette as it is often a suspention of solids in a binder and you also have more paint on the palette than you need. Leave most of the paint on the by wiping the brush on the palette.

I also put the wife on bread and water for a few weeks so I can buy sable brushes which I find give the best finish :twisted: :twisted:

You are probably more confussed than ever :)

Ralph

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:05 am

Interesting replies but only one (unless I missed it) mentioned using a soft wide brush. Bigger brush the better generally and if you can use Sable. Expensive I know but will produce excellent results with no brush marks.
Another aspect that hasn't been mentioned: Cleaning.
In the Art world when using Acrylics it's recommended that you clean brushes first with white spirit followed by warm soapy water then rinse well and dry. Never leave a brush resting on bristles.
These are Gnot my comments BUT come from the leading Art Society in UK - SAA.
By the way there are a Baker's Dozen of different Brush types of which I use the following: Round, Riggers, Flats, Mops and Hake. I also have a Scrubber brush somewhere, hardly an item for modelling though. I've not tried it - it could be used to remove paint from area to reveal underpainting.
I guess I'll get some :roll: comments from that lot :lol:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:16 am

Hi Andy,
Just a suggestion, after applying a primer (I use acrylic white or black as the mood takes me :roll: ) apply a base coat e.g. black for metals , red oxide for reds etc. I find yellow is the colour that gives me the most problems :evil: Using washes of Citadel inks is very effective for building up depth of colour,shadows and weathering 8) Finally dry brush with your chosen colour to highlight raised detail. You may even want a final dry brush with neat white as the mood takes you :roll: :?

Simon.

AndyA
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Folk music, food, travel
Andy died 14-Sep-2017 and will post no more. Travel well on your new guage.

Postby AndyA » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:02 pm

Finish with a mat spray varnish which covers a multitude of sins and evens out any gloss on the colour.

I've had nothing but bad experience with spray varnish. Do I need to use an airbrush or am I using the wrong brand(s). If the latter, can anyone recommend something, preferably available mail order since I've exhausted the varieties in the local shops?

regards
Andy A
Gn15: Gnot so much a scale, more a state of mind
gnine: less is the gnew more
GnTonic - enjoy irresponsibly

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:32 pm

I gave up with sray matt varnish as it just used to pool in the recesses etc. I now use well thinned varnish applied by brush and often apply weathering powders after just for good measure :shock:

Simon.

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:57 pm

Answer :- Testors Dull Cote Flat Lacquer BUT as far as I know not available in UK. I have a can imported under a different description - say no more :wink:
I guess it's no worse than Hair sprays in hold luggage :idea:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.

http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

shortliner
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby shortliner » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:51 pm

Not cheap - but Letraset Mattcoat works for me

greengiant
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: 7mm, O-16.5, GN15 and 2 foot

Postby greengiant » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:22 pm

You can get Testors Dullcote from here in the UK.

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Misc/miscellaneous.htm

Be quick, because they will be shut the end of July for a couple of months.

Martin
Martin

Return to “Modelling Matters”