Chris' 2007 Submarine Pirate layout...Challenge.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Chris' 2007 Submarine Pirate layout...Challenge.

Postby cjwalas » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:01 pm

I thought i'd start my own thread on my Paper layout challenge, more for my own sake to remind me where I am than anything else. It started like this very early on. Image
I had a vision of a Jules Verne style submarine pirate base in the crater of a volcano that was forming something like this;
Unfortunately, I got sidelined for six months or so and so I've simplified it to something like this;
Astonishingly, my wife and daughters disappeared for the day, leaving me some time to focus on the project at hand, so I decided to get the submarine roughed in;
I'm hoping with one relatively finished part, it'll spark a fire under me to get the rest done in good time!
As you can tell, the tone is both whimsical and fantasy/sci-fi.
There's more time in the day left, but I think I'll enjoy a glass of wine in front of an old movie...hmmm, "Mysterious Island"?
And before anyone says "Captain Nemo", the inspiration is more from Verne's "For the Flag". Except my version is a lot more cartoony!
Chris

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:06 pm

The sub is just stunning! Can't wait to see how this one progresses Chris!

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:12 pm

Chris you have really pulled off the whimsical Si/Fi look with the sub. Looking forward to when you start on the railway stock.

Simon.

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:35 pm

All I can say is WOW :shock: :shock:

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:36 pm

Are you sure that you didn't have the glass of wine before you started :lol: . Honestly, it looks great. Waiting for the next episode :lol: .
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:43 am

A great piece of modelling :) The paint finish is first class :!:
You have put down a high standard for the rest of the model

Ralph

Dave O.
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railroads, any scale, small sizes.

Submarine

Postby Dave O. » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:52 am

Chris, My goodness! and you call this 'roughing' it in? In my mind you've captured the Victorian Sci Fi look perfectly with the shapes, rivets and colors -- very nice! Your's will be an interesting one to watch! Dave O.
"But this one is different!"

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:00 am

Ok Chris that does it "Give up time again" in the words of a well known ex-pat modeller who helped this group get started :wink:
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:32 am

Chris,

So pleased you're back with us - I love it! can't wait to see the rest of this develop.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Jim Snee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" and 18" steam

Postby Jim Snee » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:44 am

Hi Chris

This is brilliant.

I think SteamPunk and Gn15 go together so well. I might be following your lead - but not a submarine. I could never compete with yours.

TTFN

Jim
I regard minimum guage as infinite - If anyone manages to build a man carrying train on 6.5mm track, then I'll try to model it in G-Scale!

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:56 am

Very COOL! But now we all want to know your painting secrets. it`s frightening and funny all in one. It sort of looks like an armoured fish, reminiscent of that guy posted last year who makes the mouse armour.

Scott

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 pm

Thanks all. I'm really enjoying working with paper and cardboard. Reminds me of when I was a kid attempting to make my own toys! :lol:
The paint was really just slopped on the sub very quickly. I suspect I'll have to do a retouching once the overall layout has some color on it. If there's time I may add a few details to disguise the more obvious cardboard bits. The base paint was a very dark green (It's been sitting around for years and I want to use it up!), then some black shading, gold drybrushed highlights, some dirty brown streaks and rust here and there. Finished off with brushed highlights in a pale green. The drybrushing was an issue because the large rivets are punched from thick cardboard that split when brushed! I had to go back and reglue the tops on many of them!
I also think Gn15 and Steampunk are natural go-togethers. But then I think Steampunk and anything go together!
Chris

cookie
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: American HO, UK Light Railway in 1/32, Industrial and Narrow Gauge

Postby cookie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:21 pm

Fantastic model Chris :D Have to confess my first thought was Captain Nemo though :oops:
Still can't quite believe you've managed to achieve that just using card :shock:

Lovely....

Steve
Too many interests, not enough time

michik
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: paper models, comix, cats ...oh, and railways!

Postby michik » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:39 am

Simply beautyful, Chris!
It seems you haven't posted any pictures of your sub neither on Paper Modelers nor on Cardmodels. You really should, the guys there will be blown away by the sight!

Michi
ROMANES EVNT DOMVS!

...and don't drop the banana!

Hudson Hunslet
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Feldbahn, Narrow Gauge, London Underground, Ford Mustang

Postby Hudson Hunslet » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:49 am

Hello Chris, i also like those films within their locations and characters.
A very good idea! I`m looking forward to see what you use as stock. Standardstock? Or something looking like the rest of the layout?
Last edited by Hudson Hunslet on Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:50 pm

Hi Chris,

Welcome back at the place, where all the fun is.
Seems, we are thinkig about similiar things again.
I love your rotten yacht.

Can I send the hamster to your place with his new
submarine for some paint (and filler) ? The "Naughty Lass" , a Mike
Hungerford free printie.

Looks as if the wine cellar is getting a secret submarine port now.

Have Fun

Juergen

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:26 pm

Hello Chris, just checked in for a quick dip into the world of Gn15 (much on my plate at the moment) The progress looks fantastic. I have been watching the events in the card layout challenge with great interest, I think that this particular challenge is bringing back a little of the early years of the pioneering spirit of the hobby, a time when commercial supplies were very limited and modelmakers were forced to be extremely creative with what was available.

In our modern digital age when we can share these ideas more readily, it really helps to broaden our general knowlege base of how to "do more with less" to quote the twentieth century architect Mies Van de Roe.

I can hardly wait to see the final pictures of all the great work that is growing out of this fun challenge.
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:30 am

Thanks again, guys. Michael, I'm very thankful for this challenge. It's got my creativity going again after a rough six months or more. I'm having a lot of fun with it and not taking it too seriously (in terms of doing the absolute "best" job I can). Today was a bit of fun as well;
The clearances are pretty darn tight in the curve in the building, so I thought it best to test my "vision". I laid out the exact loop and placed the building (whatever that's going to turn into! :lol: ) where it will be. I tested all the possible chassis and cars. I was shocked when they all made it comfortably through the turns!
The one with the vertical can motor is the smoothest runner and a prime suspect for this project...if only I knew what I was doing! The two Percies (sp?) in front are running smoothly again after a bit of fiddling and are each capapble of pulling the one or two cars I'll probably wind up with.
HOWEVER...after seeing little things running around in circles, I had to get something running, so I took the compact unit at center right in the photo above and I decided that the pirates needed additional protection in the form of an armored steam railcar;
I wanted to get something done this week, so I'm hoping to have this done by the weekend as I leave next week for two weeks vacation. Yes, I'm leaving the sunny southern shores of Santa Barbara for the sunny shores of...the UK. :? Doh!
Chris

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:55 am

That sure is an interesting collection of motor units.

I'm hoping to have this done by the weekend as I leave next week for two weeks vacation. Yes, I'm leaving the sunny southern shores of Santa Barbara for the sunny shores of...the UK. Doh!

Make sure you take a camera, you might get some good prototype under-water photos! :lol:

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:18 am

Glen A wrote:
Make sure you take a camera, you might get some good prototype under-water photos! :lol:

Doubt it: the water is so dirty and polluted you'd be unwise to enter it :!:
If you can waterproof the sub you might be wise to bring it. The Armoured Steam Railcar is superb Chris 8) - bring that as well so you can fight off the looters that have already made their appearance :shock:

michik
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: paper models, comix, cats ...oh, and railways!

Postby michik » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:29 am

Yep, keeping your competitors at bay is essential in buisiness life. May I suggest the acquisition of a Fahrpanzer (->http://www.landships.freeservers.com/new_pages/matador__fahrpanzer_kitreview.htm)?
Very nice work, indeed!

Michi
ROMANES EVNT DOMVS!

...and don't drop the banana!

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:47 am

Now I know where the Dalek idea came from :wink:

Jim Snee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" and 18" steam

Postby Jim Snee » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:14 pm

Fahrpanzer! Fahrpanzer!

I came across these ages ago and I was trying to remember the name for the armoured train thread, (worth having a look at Chris).

Thanks Michi for the excellent link. - Now I really feel a printy comming on!

Chris - I love the armoured wagon. Designed for the guage, not just miniturised version of standard guage.

By the way - I did a quick mental calculation once: The British believed that the most suitable QF gun they could used on standard gauge with side bracing was a 6pdr. For 15inch gauge something approximately 1/4 of the size would be suitable. Such as a 1pdr QF (pompom or HRC) or a 1 inch gattling/nordenfelt machine gun. However, lower the muzzle velocity and you can up the calibre - so something like the hotchkiss 37mm howitzer.

Sorry guys - I did say I liked steam punk!

TTFN

Jim

PS - I really must build myself an armoured train!
I regard minimum guage as infinite - If anyone manages to build a man carrying train on 6.5mm track, then I'll try to model it in G-Scale!

MickT
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" gauge and related railways Estate (Heywood) and Passenger/Pleasure (Greenly) types. Interest in 09 and 4mm scale 10¼" modelling (1n10¼?) and outside the scope of Gnatterbox, 009

Postby MickT » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi Jim,

Didn't the RHDR use a Boys Anti-Tank Rifle (plus a Lewis Gun for AA) on the WW2 armoured train? That would meet your "recipe" for optimum calibre I would imagine, as I think the Boys was 0.5" calibre (hell of a kick apparently anyway!) but was quite high velocity and would have been quite a lot higher vel than your 1" gatling or 1pdr pom-pom.

Anyway, in this modelling forum I would imagine that adherence to strict scale logic is Gnot absolutely Gnecessary eh? :shock:

Mick

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi,

For Gn15 purposes some of the famous Ned Kelly armour
is heavy enough.

http://www.glenrowan1880.com/armour_misc.htm

Have Fun

Juergen