Chris' 2007 Submarine Pirate layout...Challenge.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:01 pm

I've read this thread several times now but only just got round to replying. :oops:

Great work Chris I love the diving suit and the whimsical theme of the layout.

KEG
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: creative Nonsense

Postby KEG » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:21 pm

Hi,

I must admit, I hang around this amazing thread quite often as well. Can´t
make up my mind, which idea to steel first. Have to give up, there are too many.

Of course the hamster got its own diving suit. What a strange question:

Might still need a few rivets and some brass colour to be allowed in Chris´
steampunk Hideout. Some people might say, it looks like some toy computer over his head.

Have Fun

Juergen

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:27 pm

KEG wrote:Might still need a few rivets and some brass colour to be allowed in Chris´
steampunk Hideout. Some people might say, it looks like some toy computer over his head.

Might need some windows aswell :) (no dont tell me that comes with the computer :wink: ).
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Colin Peake
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner

Postby Colin Peake » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:18 pm

Very imaginative modelling Chris, and beautifully observed painting.

Colin
Colin Peake
http://o9modeller.blogspot.com/ - Modelling miniature railways in 7mm scale

Rockley Bottom
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: NG railways

Postby Rockley Bottom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:06 pm

Sorry I asked :) :)
The hampster would insist on travelling, and diving first class :!: :!:

I love it all :lol: :lol:

Ralph

Shozo.K
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Garden railway, Gn15, Gnine, family, Rakugo

Postby Shozo.K » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:41 pm

Your imagination is wonderful!
The taste of the diving suit design seems to be out from classical SF.
I'm looking forward to see how you create the design for rolling stocks.

Regards,
Regards, Shozo.K

Home page: http://www.k3.dion.ne.jp/~skt/rokaru/index.html
Modeling log: http://skt48.cocolog-nifty.com/ (JP ver. only)

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:39 pm

Shozo.K wrote:I'm looking forward to see how you create the design for rolling stocks.,

So am I!!!! :roll: Still haven't come up with a concept for the train itself!
But I have finished my figure tests and finalized my approach;
Above are the two techniques I was pursuing. On the left is the paper mache' approach and on the right is the tissue paper build-up technique.
The tissue paper technique has problems. I applied glue and tissue to form details as best I could. I should have added some paint to the glue, because the transparent quality of the glue made it very difficult to tell what the final surface really looked like. It's also quite tedious. Still, if no other way were available, with some practice this technique could be made to work.
I went back to the paper mache' figure to solve the weakness problem I was having. I mixed a new batch of the stuff with wood glue. While it was horribly sticky to work with, it dried to a very strong and hard consistency. I found I could dry it fairly quickly in my little oven I use for my plastic figures.
The difficulty with the tissue work was achieving a smooth surface...I couldn't! So he came out quite rough...not in a good piratey way, just rough. But I'm still going to use him somewhere.
The mache' man came out much better. Still not as good as using other materials, but good enough, IMHO. He's smoking his clay pipe and supervising something! This glue/mache' mix sands very well and can be cut with a sharp blade as well.
I decided he needed plenty of tattooes to make him more interesting, but I didn't do a very good job on them...they're very small!
At least I got the most important tattoo on! :D
Now that I've settled on the approach for the figures, I can be working on them while working on all the other stuff as well. testing phase for this project is finished! No more fooling around!
Steve, I know I should be doing the trackwork, but as I have it laid out, I think I need almost everything else to be done first! The track will be supported, not on the ground as such and so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult to lay it in after everything else is in place and glued down. Fingers crossed!
Chris

Simon Andrews
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge modelling, 009, 09.

Postby Simon Andrews » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:46 pm

WOW :!: 8)

Emrys
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Model railways, photography, website design

Postby Emrys » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:47 pm

I am very impressed. Particularly like the bearded chap.
Emrys Hopkins

Nick Ellingworth
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Many things

Postby Nick Ellingworth » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Both figures are very good.

Jon Randall
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, modelling

Postby Jon Randall » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Speechless
:shock: 8)
Jon Randall

Needs to stop procrastinating and start modelling

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:31 pm

Difficult to believe that they are made of paper :D Fantastic modelling, an example to us all :D :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

MOG
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby MOG » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:39 pm

:( lays down tools, folds arms and sighs... top top stuff again Chris.
I actually quite like the 'rough' figure.. it's a style.
It reminds me of a book I had some years ago about making papier mache models.. puppets and things.. must find that again.
Martin Hogg
MOGTRAINS at:
http://mogtrains.blogspot.co.uk/
(all earlier sites sadly demised :-( )

Jim Snee
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: 15" and 18" steam

Postby Jim Snee » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi Chris

As ever your figures are inspiring. I really like the armoured divingsuit - you absolutely nailed THE LOOK!

I think someone has already asked about rolling stock - I can't wait to see what you come up with. Just thinking about possible locomotives - you could go in so many different ways...

TTFN

Jim
I regard minimum guage as infinite - If anyone manages to build a man carrying train on 6.5mm track, then I'll try to model it in G-Scale!

chris stockdale
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: most things narrow gauge, model or full size, especially 7 1/4" 'minimal' (which is sub Heywood ride on)

Postby chris stockdale » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:10 pm

Soooo good!

It's not fair!

Sound effect of laptop being kicked across room.

:evil: :evil: :evil:

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks all. Kind words are always much appreciated! :) I don't think my modelmaking is particularly good as much as I try to do different kinds of things. I couldn't possibly pull off some of the meticulous work most of you do here. Thanks for putting up with my hobby eccentricities!
As far as the rolling stock on this one goes, there really are way too many possibilities. I had originally envisioned something rather simple for the loco and cars; just something to unload pirate booty. But as I've gotten immersed in the fantasy of it, I see that I need to come up with something a bit more...imaginative? I wish I had given myself more clearance room. I usually don't have the restriction of making things that have to squeeze into spaces this small! One more aspect of the challenge!
Chris

Glen A
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15, G 1:24

Postby Glen A » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:34 am

They really are incredible figures Chris. Just looking at them you wouldn't think they where made out of paper! And the details are all so clear on the screen, you can easily forget that they being shown a couple of times bigger than they are in real life.

…until some one like me has a go at building one. 10 seconds later the reality of the skill and complexity required becomes apparent, and then project gets abandoned for something more manageable….

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 am

Thats some amazing work, the fact that it was done in paper makes it even more so. :shock:
Failure is just success rounded down.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:04 am

lays down tools, folds arms and sighs... top top stuff again Chris.

Ditto..... Way 8) 8)
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:59 am

Well, I was down with some bug this weekend and feeling rather poorly, so not too much got done, but at least I took plenty of bad photos! :?
I'm preparing some scaled down paper model fish to put...somewhere? The tuna is about 2&1/4".
Rolling stock. Not sure what I'm going to do with them, but I figured I better get started. These are just trucks and bolsters sawn off some old stock. I'm just building them as flats unless I get more inpsired.
For the loco, I'm thinking maybe a tiny cab forward, vertical boiler of some sort.
Got a little more paint on a few things and it's really helping to get me to the "ambience" I'm striving for.
Here's a washed out flash version for comparison.
I've painted the mysterious steampunk devices on the roof and while I like the way they came out, if I have time I'd like to busy them up a bit more.
Even adding basic green paint to a few plants helps a lot!
A more blurry but better angle on the infernal machinery.
After careful consideration about how to do the water, I decided just to try a paint treatment on it. It's not fantastic, but it may be what I live with. I'll hold off giving it it's final gloss coats just in case I change my mind!
I've begun gluing some of the things down, but I'm holding off on the pirate shack. I'd really like to do one or two more, If there's time. So for now it's just propped in the corner.
The diving suit looks good in the layout, but I think I need to build some kind of frame or crane for it to hang from?
Hard to make out in this horrid photo, but There's a big, copper thingamajig in the building to carry through the infernal machinery concept.
This shot's for Steve, just to prove I'm not ignoring the trackwork! This support frame isn't painted yet!
Today is the first day I've felt like it's coming together the way I'd hoped (can't say planned!!:D ). I like the darker, piratey feel it's starting to get. But there's still a lot to do.
I realized the only good place for the printie stuff is as cargo on the rolling stock. So I don't know how unique these cars will be?
Here's my big bugaboo at the moment. I haven't really come up with an idea for the bridge over the sub and how I can support it from this corner.
Ideas are welcome!!!!!
That's it for this report. Wish I'd gotten more done this weekend. Oh, wait! I also started a couple more pirates and a couple of seagulls, so I got a little more done!
Chris

Jblair
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge trains.

Postby Jblair » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:26 am

Can't get over what you have been able to achive with just Cardboard and paper! :shock:

As for the track across the sub. What about some sort of lifting sections? Even if it doesn't lift but looks like some sort of dual draw bridge arrangement meeting in the middle.

Even some sort of full lift arrangement. Would certainly fit in with the atmosphere of the layout.

Such as this bridge which is a road bridge at Bourke NSW but could be used as a railway:-

Jarrod Blair
Melbourne, Australia

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:31 am

I like your bridge idea, Jarrod! That could work very well for what I need. I'm not sure I have enough room to pull it off, but I'll sure give it a close look! Thanks for that idea.
Chris

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:57 am

Hi Chris, try this link for details of a smaller hand-operated lift bridge. It even ran 2' gauge... (close enough to 15")
http://zelmeroz.com/album/oz/qld/lz_mor ... pot_03.pdf
Unfortunately the mill that served this area is now a thing of the past :(
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

SOUTHPASS
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: Trains and cars.

Postby SOUTHPASS » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:17 am

What about a steam powered helicoptor holding it up with a sky-hook :? :D
.....WARNING....
Contains images that anoraks may find disturbing.
1:24 scale 16.5mm gauge.
Yes I know it's all old and rusty, but I just model things as I see them......
Have a good one....John B.

Jblair
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge trains.

Postby Jblair » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:41 am

Love to see the steam powered helicopter lift :wink:

The bridge in Bourke is also hand cranked! With counter balances inside the 4 main uprights! But certainly keeping OzTrainz bridge in mind as that certainly has a lot of charm to it!

The other option due to the lack of space is a swing bridge. Dont have a picture on me for them. But could be done similar to a sector plate type thing.

For example have a look at the following:-

http://www.salecommunity.com/bridge.html

Note this one is counter balanced by swinging in the middle. But maybe some sort of counter balance arangement. Or use artistic licence :lol:
Jarrod Blair

Melbourne, Australia

Return to “Modelling Matters”