Chris' 2007 Submarine Pirate layout...Challenge.

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

Bob Taylor
Seasoned Campaigner
Seasoned Campaigner
Interests: GN15!, Zak and Travis my Border Collies, Steam Rallies and Canals.

Postby Bob Taylor » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 am

Its all been said ........................WOW :shock:

Bob.
maybach52.taylor@googlemail.com.

Gn15: Remember SIZE does matter! and may all your gauges be little ones.

Gnine: Narrow your horizons!

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15

Postby michael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:22 am

I'll just remain speechless :!: :!: :!:
Regards Michael
If you believe you can make something, you can make it.

http://users.xplornet.com/~macton/index.html

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:24 am

Glad I'm not having to post a pic of a layout :!:
Regards Michael

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:27 pm

michael wrote:Glad I'm not having to post a pic of a layout :!:

Shush, you dont want to put them off :lol:
Looks superb Chris, if you said it was finished now, i dont think anyone would query it :) .
Steve Bennett
Sidelines
http://www.pepper7.com

Harald
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: private railway company in northern Germany in the late 50's (H0, 1:87) and - of course - Gn15!

Postby Harald » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:45 pm

Korschtal wrote:I especially like the boat roof on the upper shack.

Yes ... that's really cool ... and now I remember where I once saw it: http://www.die-kiels.org/Bilderbuch/Daenemark2006/html/P9150124.html ... holidays in Denmark last year ... but no pirates there I think :wink:

Geno6309
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: NG,Sports Cars,Anything with 'fiddly bits' inside

Postby Geno6309 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:05 am

By Damn! There is a prototype for everything!
"I'm not building a model of a railroad. I'm building a caricature of one." Bill Livingston, Venango Valley RR, RMC 1971
Words to live by.
Gene Walker
www.fcdetc.blogspot.com

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:46 am

That was fairly common practice, they where finding 1000 year old building foundations on the north eastern part of Canada and could not figure out why they where shaped as they are, untill they took period norse ships and flipped them over, Oh what a nice and watertight roof that makes.

Scott B

AussiePete
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Ng industrial modelling

Fantastic modelling

Postby AussiePete » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:52 am

I just have to add my voice to the chorus of support for the sub! It's superb!!
Pete Heininger - TooLoose La Track!
pete@heininger.com.au

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:14 pm

Today was my last chance to push forward on this until next week, soooo...
I actually started work on the motive power! This one will be a railcar for the upper loop, strictly for people moving. Hey, it's a start!
The great thing has been finally locking things in place. Here's the two shacks glued in and fixed with a bunch of supports. I cheated a little here, as the ropes are not the twisted paper ones I used on the pilings, they're just string. The paper ropes are a real pain to tie, not that these were much easier!
On the upper shack, I added an awning made from a captured flag for a little more of that "Pirate" flavor.
I was finally able to glue the upper level in place, so that meant that I could finally add some acrylic gel for a little texture on the water. Hopefully there will be enough to hide the cardboard texture! I'll see when it all dries.
Image It's not too apparent here, but I added ground cardboard to the bottom of the structures in the water as "sea gunk". Even a couple of paper starfish here and there.
The pirates' pet sea turtle watches the activity from a safe distance. This is just a downsized free download. I love paper models!
Meanwhile, upstairs, the flying engine of destruction has recieved her basic paint and livery. The platform has also been weathered.
I really like this one. It's not of anything in particular, just the dark and moody far corner of the layout. Must remember to put lights on that loco!
I think the big supports work a lot better now with rivets and weathering on them. They do tie in nicely with the building roof.
And I found a place for the diving suit! I used the leftover supports of one of the failed bridge attempts, added a small wooden pier next to it and now it's its own mini-diorama.
Anyway, that's about it for this session. Can't wait to get back to it next week! Oh, wait! I also got the tracks wired and it's great to see the chassis running around under full control!
Chris

Steve Bennett
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: railways?

Postby Steve Bennett » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:46 pm

I have run out of superlatives that havent been used yet, so probaby repeating myself, fantastic Chris. The further you go with this, the less I can believe what I am seeing and there is more to come ???? Not sure i can take it :) .
Steve Bennett

Sidelines

http://www.pepper7.com

scott b
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: Cycling, Terry Pratchet books

Postby scott b » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:50 pm

uh..wow :shock: :shock: :shock: beautifull, you are one creative craftsman.

Scott B

Jblair
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Narrow Gauge trains.

Postby Jblair » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:56 am

What can I say ..... Wow! And all out of paper and cardboard!

Just proves that it doesn't matter what you use to make the model you can still make spectuclar models!

Just a mazing!
Jarrod Blair
Melbourne, Australia

John
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: trains,camping,fishing,motorcycles

Postby John » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:02 pm

No insult meant or anything else, Chris have you ever work for the imagineering dept. of Disney? WHAT A GREAT LAYOUT.
John

Gerry Bullock
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Gn15 and O Gauge at Club.

Postby Gerry Bullock » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Here's a superlative that hasn't been used yet : FANTASTIC, sorry I actually meant -Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I'm sure that's what kids of all ages would say when seen in the flesh.
Alternatively as Ian would say Chris "Looks like give-up time again" 8)
So little time, so many ideas!!!!! GerryB.
http://gn15gnutt.blogspot.com/

More_Cats_Than_Sense
Millegniumer
Millegniumer
Interests: Railways, Cats, Computers, Beer

Postby More_Cats_Than_Sense » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:08 pm

There are no words to express what I think of your achievements concerning the standard of the modelling you are showing us with this layout Chris.

So I will just post this: -

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Barry Weston

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer.

The only thing that keeps me sane, is the friendship I share with my collection of singing potatoes....

Never knowingly sensible!

Peter
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Irish Music, Maps, Eaton Hall and Sand Hutton

Postby Peter » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:08 pm

:wink: :lol: :twisted:
Failure is just success rounded down.

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:19 pm

I'm still trying to remember if there was a "Super Human" Category :twisted: :wink:

Cracking work Chris, I can see a tutorial like your figure making one coming out of this work, only for paper.
Regards Michael

Oztrainz
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: narrow gauge railways & modelling same

Postby Oztrainz » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 am

Hi Chris,
Others have already used all the superlatives...

You can declare your layout finished anytime you want... the rest of the challengers must surely be saying "the sooner the better"

I think I'll consign my not-started mine layout to the bottom of the mine, then shoot the roof down on top of it and bury it for posterity.

"Mining engineers are like doctors - they get to bury their mistakes"
John Garaty
Murphy was an optimist

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:20 pm

Well, boys and girls, I've been getting up early every morning to try and get a half hour a day in on the layout to try and finish it for the deadline. Lots of little bits added, many of which don't really even show, but all of the critical elements are finished! So the layout is essentially done, just not officially done. I still have some figures to finish and the water needs more acylic on it.
But....
Here's a paper crocodile model I downloaded and printed at about 25%. I added glue scales and repainted it...
I really like the way it came out. Unfortunately, the only space for it on the layout is way in back, almost out of sight completely! :cry:
For the upper track, I did a simple steam car to ferry the aeronaut around his craft.
I wound up adding lots of card details that I immediately hid!.
It's not particularly piratey or steampunkish, but I wanted it to be the classy transport for the highly regarded aeronaut.
The driver for the steamcar is the fellow in the blue shirt, and in full flight regalia, the aeronaut to the right. There are a few more pirates under construction as well.
Now for the main motive power, I wanted something more steampunk, so without any concept in my head at all, I started building. :?
So, lots of bits later, it wound up like this. But I'm getting a little tired of the laborious effort it takes to do mache' men, so I thought this loco need a steam robot to drive;
In the meantime, I added a defensive platform and mounted a powerful gun in case of attack. Can't wait to see what happens the first time they fire the gun. :lol:
Some paint on the loco.
And on the driver;
Put them both together;
Here it is doing its job;
There are a number of added paper fish, small details, etc., but I haven't even begun to think about lighting the layout. It wasn't part of my original "vision"!
Chris

docnjoj
Demi-Millegniumer
Demi-Millegniumer
Interests: used to model 7/8 scale but now am definitely hooked on GN15 as my only scale until now. G9 has appeared.

Postby docnjoj » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:58 pm

Simply incredible!
Doc
David (Doc)
Fairhope, AL USA
After extensive recalculation, I have determined that the meaning of life is NOT 42! The secret of life, however is "enjoying the passage of time" (James Taylor)

Tomo
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion
Interests: Gn15 and Micro Layouts

Postby Tomo » Mon Dec 10, 2007 12:47 am

Chris,

You have just so many amazing details to be able to comment on each one. But the one comment I know I can make is that your work makes me feel like a child again! It gives wings to my imagination.

Tomo

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:38 am

Chris you have an amazing ability to take evryday material and do magic!!!!!!!!!! simply wonderful and very inspiring.
Regards Michael

cjwalas
GnatterBox Centurion
GnatterBox Centurion

Postby cjwalas » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:39 am

Thank you, gentlemen. It's an honor and a pleasure to be able to inflict my brand of sillyness into an arena that will tolerate it.
Tomo, I have to say, in all my years, I don't think I've ever had a greater compliment, thank you.
If my paper models remind anyone of H.G. Wells, I am doubly humbled!
I have to say, this has been a genuine challenge, something I have always appreciated. What a great idea! Make something out of card and paper. Granted, I may have gone a bit overboard, but that's just me. But I never would have attempted anything of the sort if it hadn't been for this challenge. I've always thought that we learn the most when we challenge ourselves, not others. And I certainly learned a lot on this one! :lol:
All along, I've viewed this as a personal challenge rather than a competition or contest. As the layout won't possibly be officially finished in time, I'm happy to remove myself from the judging. I've already got my reward; I figured out how to do (most of) what was in my head as an idea, and used materials I would have simply never chosen for the project. Just to be able to sit back and say, "Hey, I did that and I never thought I could" is wonderful. This is a great hobby with a great bunch of people. Maybe this will inspire me to do a "real" layout! :lol:
Chris

Richard Morton
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge

Postby Richard Morton » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:22 am

Chris I just love it. your attention to detail is simply amazing. And your ability at add that touch of humor astounding, I really like the fact that I'm sure in person one could spend an hour looking at your project and still not find everything you did.

Keep up the good work :D

michael
Millegniumer
Millegniumer

Postby michael » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:37 am

I wanted it to be the classy transport for the highly regarded aeronaut

I just realised that the loco is sort of maroonish :roll: What could be more classy than that :wink: Bertrand would be proud Chris :lol:
Regards Michael

Return to “Modelling Matters”