(F) Typical!

For discussion of the issues faced when building a model or layout - how to replicate wood, what glues to use, exactly how much weathering can a Gnat take, a good source of detailing accessories - you get the picture, I'm sure.

Moderator: GnATTERbox Moderators

CHIFF
'boxer
'boxer

(F) Typical!

Postby CHIFF » Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:04 pm

Just compleated a rake of wagons in this scale when I stumble across this website and find lots of info that would have taken alot of the hard work out! oh well thats life.

Recently started work on a 4'x18" plank and have decided to get my arse into gear and build some locos, I have ordered two Hornby Desmonds (well, Smoky Joe) as chassis donors as I have used them before but I was wondering if anyone has any advice regarding the Thomas range (Bill + Ben, Percy, Toby etc).... are they all based on one generic chassis design? how does this compare to the Desmond chassis.

One final question. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which type of wood I should use for boiler cladding on a freelance vertical boiler tramway loco I am building (the boiler is at the moment just a bit of aluminium tube). On that note trying to design a good looking tramway loco without it looking too much like Christopher Payne's Lion has proved somewhat difficult!

Thanks in advance.

Chris Haye
Farnborough, Hants, UK
www.99mt.co.uk (it's not a Gn15 website)

terrystrains
'boxer
'boxer
Interests: Model Railways from TT to Gn15.

typical

Postby terrystrains » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:14 pm

Hi Chris,

For wooden boiler lagging, I would use strips of thin balsa wood stained with wood dye, with thin strips of brass for the bands and the heads of brass panel pins for the rivet detail, but that's only how I would attempt it!!!.

Welcome to the group.

Regards

Terry

Gerry Balding
True GnATTERbox
True GnATTERbox
Interests: Narrow gauge railways, football, films, the works of James Ellroy. I am also the part owner of a 15" gauge 2-6-4 tank loco

Postby Gerry Balding » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:18 pm

:)

Chris,

I have not used a "Smoky Joe", but have used a Hornby "Ben" as the basis for a model based on Heywood's "Katie".

For "Katie" the wheelbase is a little short (not really noticeable though) but it is a good chassis for conversion. The advantage with "Katie" is that the motor fits easliy in the boiler leaving the footplate free. The main problem with "Ben" is fixing the body to the chassis. The Hornby body is fixed by two screws - one goes through the cylinder block into the front footplate and the the other goes up into the cab.

When I built "Katie", I had to fix the body to the chassis using only one bolt. This is longer than the Hornby original and goes up through the cylinder block to a nut securely fixed in the smokebox. This conversion isn't really too difficult.

I haven't added any extra weight in the body, but the loco's dome is a rather heavy white metal casting that provides the weight.

Hope this is useful. If you want any other information about the model, please get in touch.

Regards
Gerry Balding
Norwich
Norfolk
UK

CHIFF
'boxer
'boxer

Cheers.

Postby CHIFF » Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:36 am

Thanks for the help guys. It's good to see an active group of modelers using the internet to their advantege (no if I can only convince the members of the local club of the internets power).

I have a website under construction that will detail the design and construction of my tram loco (and others). As previously mentiond I am awaiting the arival of 2 Hornby chassis, once these turn up I can crack on with the loco's assembly and put the website online (14 days maybe... or not!).

Terry.

Thats pretty much what I was thinking, do you have any experience using obechi (sp) or jelutong instead of balsa. I hear that they both take stain better.

Garry.

Do you have a finished photo of Katie? This is a loco that I am very much interested in modeling in the future (after a long list of others.)

Cheers for your help all.

Chris Haye
Farnborough, Hants, UK
www.99mt.co.uk (it's not a Gn15 website)

Return to “Modelling Matters”